Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade chances for FTL vs *G

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Upgrade chances for FTL vs *G

I am a long time lurker, and this is my first time post.

I have an upcoming Lufthansa TATL flight which seems to be overbooked in Y. I have LH FTL status and also recently qualified for CO *G status. I am wondering which FF program would maximize my upgrade chances. I know that LH upgrades HON and SEN first, but I am not sure how *G and LH FTL stack compared to each other for op-ups purpose.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Slipless
I am a long time lurker, and this is my first time post.

I have an upcoming Lufthansa TATL flight which seems to be overbooked in Y. I have LH FTL status and also recently qualified for CO *G status. I am wondering which FF program would maximize my upgrade chances. I know that LH upgrades HON and SEN first, but I am not sure how *G and LH FTL stack compared to each other for op-ups purpose.
Welcome to FT Slipless,

According to other posts, FTL has got priority on other *G.

Good luck!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
In most cases, for LH-operated flights, FTLs will have higher priority than *G. However, it will depend on the gate/flight manager. In my experience in FRA/MUC, FTLs will be upgraded before *G; but in outstations, *G will score upgrade before FTLs do.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:42 pm

I recall a LH flight manager saying FTL > *G. As far as I remember she said that flight managers receive a list from Frankfurt with an "upgrade-ranking" of the pax prior to the flight: HON > SEN > FTL > *G > *S and that she is normally following that list.
However some of the colleagues might also upgrade *G > FTL.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:17 am

Programs: UA Platinum
During my last trip from ORD by LX I have seen that my colleagues with *G were upgraded and I was not (having FTL at that time), even though that there were free seats in Y.
Not sure if LH and LX have similar rules.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:05 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Official rules are to upgrade *G before FTL, but it depends on the staff and they can override the suggestion by the system to op-up *G before FTL.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
Official rules are to upgrade *G before FTL, but it depends on the staff and they can override the suggestion by the system to op-up *G before FTL.
I think FLTs are ahead of *Gs.
I have seen plenty of FTLs being upgraded on LH flights into C and F.
I doubt there weren't any *Gs on those flights.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:22 am

Question "slipless"

mmhh, are you by any chance an attraktive female?
(sorry folks, couldn't help it...). ^
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster
I think FLTs are ahead of *Gs.
I have seen plenty of FTLs being upgraded on LH flights into C and F.
I doubt there weren't any *Gs on those flights.
+1. FTLs are ahead of *G on LH integrated partners. The flight will have to be seriously oversold in Y before a *G even has a chance at an upgrade to C, and F would be almost impossible as by the time they get through the HON, the SEN, and the FTL they will be out of seats.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks, looks like FTL might be a better idea.

I have one more question. Is it fine to use SEN lounge in FRA by showing CO *G card, when the boarding pass shows LH FTL status. According to the lounge access rules on *Alliance website I should be fine. Just want to double check on this with fellow flyertalkers...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Slipless
Thanks, looks like FTL might be a better idea.

I have one more question. Is it fine to use SEN lounge in FRA by showing CO *G card, when the boarding pass shows LH FTL status. Looking at lounge access rules I should be fine. Just want to double check this...
No problem at all. The SEN lounges are sticklers however on showing the card- so make sure you have it with you. If you are in the super crowded non-schengen SEN lounge you may want to check out the business lounges which are usually quieter.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: LH Miles&More FTL, AB TopBonus Gold
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
+1. FTLs are ahead of *G on LH integrated partners. The flight will have to be seriously oversold in Y before a *G even has a chance at an upgrade to C, and F would be almost impossible as by the time they get through the HON, the SEN, and the FTL they will be out of seats.
This as we know is also at the desecration of the FM, as there was a thread a while back where I asked something similar because on a LX flight a *G was put ahead of FTLers. I know this because our travel group consisted of 2 SEN, 1 *G and 3 FTL, and it was the *G who got the upgrade along with the 2 SEN. I figured it was the easiest way to assign the last seat instead of having to look at flight stats for and booking codes to sort out which FTL would get the opt-up.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, BAEC Gold
In my experience, FTLs are upgraded ahead of *G in full M&M carriers. When I used JK*G, I was not upgraded in a couple of flights in which some M&M FTL colleagues were. In other non-M&M carrier (NH) I got the upgrade instead (thanks to those super-premium configuration 77W )
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
If you are in the super crowded non-schengen SEN lounge you may want to check out the business lounges which are usually quieter.
Last Thursday morning literally not 1 single seat free in the Schengen SEN lounge close to gate A26 or similar.
Next time I should remember to go to the Biz lounge next door.@:-)
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saviox
Last Thursday morning literally not 1 single seat free in the Schengen SEN lounge close to gate A26 or similar.
Next time I should remember to go to the Biz lounge next door.@:-)
I was also at FRA last Thursday and it was unusually busy.

Check out the biz lounge next door- sometimes a little more space.

The opening of A plus pier later this spring is supposed to alleviate some of the lounge pressure I am told.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.