Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Warsaw [WAW]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by ohiosux
I thought I did explain it, or...? I arrived from Bucharest (non-Schengen) and needed to transfer to the Schengen area. So I was in the Passport control with what had to be 2 planes full from China. There was no expedited anything or special ground services for C/J passengers. I was under the impression that I would receive a ground transfer as an arriving C/J passenger, but nope.
What gave you that impression? You should get a separate bus if arriving on an apron position but that's about the extent of special ground services (HON and VIP aside).
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:23 pm

Okay, so if I'm flying in F that day (which gets an HON bag tag) why wouldn't I have had the shuttle bus?

Originally Posted by Lack
What gave you that impression? You should get a separate bus if arriving on an apron position but that's about the extent of special ground services (HON and VIP aside).
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: TK*G elite plus
LAX-WAW-CDG short connection

hi all,

I'm flying LAX-WAW-CDG, both flights on LOT, with only 1h05 connection time... i know i have to go through passport control but if that helps i am flying business on both flights (is there a line dedicated for biz passengers?) and i have both US and French passports (assuming the line for EU passport holders will be faster, perhaps even automated?)

i'd love to have a minute and go check out the lounge and go to the duty free store buy a bottle of something...

how bad is it? am i in trouble???! thanks all for your input!
N1003U likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by cleofilms
hi all,

I'm flying LAX-WAW-CDG, both flights on LOT, with only 1h05 connection time... i know i have to go through passport control but if that helps i am flying business on both flights (is there a line dedicated for biz passengers?) and i have both US and French passports (assuming the line for EU passport holders will be faster, perhaps even automated?)

i'd love to have a minute and go check out the lounge and go to the duty free store buy a bottle of something...

You'll be sound even with a minor delay from LAX (at times and especially with a significant number of connecting passengers, chances are that they will wait in case of delay, LO is quite good at that). That said and assuming all on time, you will indeed have some time to visit the Polonez lounge and get something at the duty free shop. Lastly, there are no e-passport gates at WAW (no fast track either I'm afraid, but you should get through in minutes).

G
N1003U and cleofilms like this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by cleofilms
hi all,

Welcome to FlyerTalk, cleofilms!

I am fairly new to transfers at WAW (I have been lured away from nonstop LH flights ex-FRA by very aggressive business and premium economy pricing ex-GErmany on LO), but I have made several transfers in WAW in the past eight months or so, and I have not had a problem with major delays at passport control. There are occasionally lines a passport control when several flights arrive together, but IME passport control is normally quick (the space where the lines for passport control are is a little cramped and it can get a little disorganized, but it generally works OK). An hour should be plenty of time, if your flight from LAX is on time.

In my observation, the Polish border police are good at taking people aside when there are problems with travel documents, so the main lines keep moving.

I am usually coming from ORD, which is in theory "clean" and should not require transfer security, but a couple of times we were routed through transfer security, which in my cases were fast and painless, and dumped me out on the Schengen side right at the door of the Polonez Lounge.

If everything goes as scheduled, you will have time to stop in at the lounge for quick refreshment before moving on to your boarding gate, which will be one flight down stairs from the lounge (there is only one escalator, and it goes up, so you have to walk down the stairs--there is a elevator as well if memory serves) and the departure gate will not be very far away unless you are unlucky.

If you are unlucky and your incoming long-haul is late (not unheard of), there are options to get you to CDG, but you should be fine on the original itinerary.
AlicorporateUK and cleofilms like this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by ohiosux
Okay, so if I'm flying in F that day (which gets an HON bag tag) why wouldn't I have had the shuttle bus?
Because your bag got it :-).
They do have some dedicated rides in WAW, but I'm not sure how those are allocated - there's quite a bit variation in execution (for example, you're not going to get a ride from the FCT to an LO plane...) between the 'integrated' airlines.

Originally Posted by N1003U
I am usually coming from ORD, which is in theory "clean" and should not require transfer security, but a couple of times we were routed through transfer security, which in my cases were fast and painless, and dumped me out on the Schengen side right at the door of the Polonez Lounge.
Have you ever been able to skip security on the way from ORD? I though there is only one passport control station on top level of arrivals and it directs you wither to the connecting security or airport exit.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
When you arrive from a 'clean country like us/ca they split off non shengen transit pax right after deplaning and let them directly into the concourse.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
When you arrive from a 'clean country like us/ca they split off non shengen transit pax right after deplaning and let them directly into the concourse.
In WAW? Where? Not sure if the passport control on the main level is two way? Other then that, there seemed like there's only one setup for booths on the mezzanin level and then it's either down the escalators to baggage claim or left to the security control in front of the Polonez entrance.

That's the path I went through last month, but maybe I took a wrong turn somewhere?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:48 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Some gate agents were standing at the gate holding up plastic placards with various non Schengen destinations and letting them into the non-shengen gate area directly after checking boarding passes. Others were sent up to go to the upper level that eventually leads to the passport control.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:58 pm

Some gate agents were standing at the gate holding up plastic placards with various non Schengen destinations and letting them into the non-shengen gate area directly after checking boarding passes. Others were sent up to go to the upper level that eventually leads to the passport control.
I can confirm that but it doesn't happen on a regular basis.

G
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Because your bag got it :-).

Have you ever been able to skip security on the way from ORD? I though there is only one passport control station on top level of arrivals and it directs you wither to the connecting security or airport exit.
Not on my last couple of trips.

This has been my experience sometimes. Maybe I just followed the crowd without paying attention, but I have wound up in the non-schengen concourse a few times, and I don't remember a problem going through to Schengen from there.

In WAW? Where? Not sure if the passport control on the main level is two way? Other then that, there seemed like there's only one setup for booths on the mezzanin level and then it's either down the escalators to baggage claim or left to the security control in front of the Polonez entrance.

That's the path I went through last month, but maybe I took a wrong turn somewhere?
That is the path I onto which I was routed the past couple of times, and yes, your description of that set-up is accurate. The first time I was directed this way, was a bit surprised at the transfer security, but pleased that it led directly to the lounge.

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I can confirm that but it doesn't happen on a regular basis.

G
I am not enough of a WAW regular yet to know what is "normal", but I have experienced both.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:00 pm

Ok, so that's when actually disembarking on the main level. My arrival was directly to the mezzanine.
Given that there probably isn't boarder control for a NS to NS connection, I assume there must be another route just downstairs, but I didn't think there was a clean way to transit NS to S given the airport layout.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tc_jedi
Is 55 minutes enough time to connect in WAW between AF and KL flights?
I have a similar connection. Two tickets WAW-AMS-China-AMS-WAW/WAW-AMS-China-AMS-WAW. The plane that brings me in AMS-WAW takes me back to AMS so no worries about misconnecting, but want to make sure it doesn't dump me into non-secure area upon deplaning. Going to try and print my boarding pass in
advance but just in case hoping I can get it at the gate. Thoughts?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:24 pm

You should be deplaning right at the gate of the return to AMS.

Given the documents checks on the way to China you may not be able to get your BPs online, but I reckon if you have a long enough stopover in AMS on your first inbound you should be able to handle it over there with KLM staff.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tc_jedi
Is 55 minutes enough time to connect in WAW between AF and KL flights?
You should be deplaning right at the gate of the return to AMS.

Given the documents checks on the way to China you may not be able to get your BPs online, but I reckon if you have a long enough stopover in AMS on your first inbound you should be able to handle it over there with KLM staff.
hoping the same!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.