LON-BKK: LH or TG?

Old Nov 22, 10, 11:43 am
JSC
Original Poster

LON-BKK: LH or TG?

Hi

First time that I have ventured onto the M&M Board from the BA Board where I usually reside...

I'm relocating from London to Sydney in Jan and am looking for some cheap J flights there, stopping over for a few days in BKK on the way. It will be myself and the wife and our 2.5 year old daughter.

I've found a couple of fares within my budget but for different days. The choice is either LHR-FRA-BKK on LH or LHR-BKK on TG. The TG flights are direct and also I've heard good things about them when you have young children. However if I take the LH flight then the BKK-SYD leg is on BA, which has the fully flat bed and I know well.

I've not flown either in business before so just wondering what are the views of those who have experience of both? I'm hoping to book tonight so any quick replies much appreciated!

Thanks
JSC
Old Nov 22, 10, 3:07 pm

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
I've flown TG LHR - BKK and back numerous times in business. Never flown LH in business to BKK, but flown to ICN and PEK a few times.

I would pick TG every time, not least because you won't have to change planes with a youngster in tow.
Old Nov 22, 10, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
With an entourage (kids) I'd go for the nonstop LHR-BKK flight.
TG C is perhaps a little better than LH C overall (depending on which specific seat you can snag on LH)
Old Nov 22, 10, 4:00 pm
JSC
Original Poster

Thanks for that, the direct option does appeal. The key question that still leaves me undecided: is LHR-BKK-SYD in TG C better than LHR-FRA-BKK in LH C followed by BKK-SYD in BA C?
Old Nov 22, 10, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JSC View Post
Thanks for that, the direct option does appeal. The key question that still leaves me undecided: is LHR-BKK-SYD in TG C better than LHR-FRA-BKK in LH C followed by BKK-SYD in BA C?
And why can't you do LHR-BKK in TG C and then BA CW BKK-SYD ?
Old Nov 22, 10, 4:09 pm
JSC
Original Poster

It comes out much more expensive...maybe 3x more
Old Nov 22, 10, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It comes out much more expensive...maybe 3x more
In that case go with LH and BA !

(Are no QF fares available ? I thought they had special oneway fare to OZ, but probably this is only for immigration to OZ and maybe only in whY?)
Old Nov 22, 10, 4:30 pm
JSC
Original Poster

The BA leg is actually sold as a QF codeshare, and given the cost of booking this directly it seems good value if I can get it at this price as part of a stopover itinerary.

Anyway thanks, looks like I should go with LH/BA and hope for the best with the little one!

How much of a slope is there in the LH seats when flat? Is there an option to have it in a Z so that my daughter doesn't slide right off it?
Old Nov 22, 10, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Are you buying separate tickets, or is this a thru ticket with only these choices? e.g. in a couple of months, I'm doing a BKK-SYD redemption, and I just need to get the LON-BKK sorted; in C, and sticking to star alliance, there are some better deals than TG/LH ex-LON: on LX (ok connection via ZRH, but they are retrofitting the A340s with flat beds, can use the TG codeshare ex-ZRH on the A346s, and you can leave from LCY), on OS (ridiculously easy connection at VIE, and fantastic food, but very slopey bed and No-VOD) and SK (ok connection at CPH). I am assuming you are ruling out MS and TK (which is not that cheap any more...)

Otherwise, the downside to LH is the nightmare that is FRA for non-Schengen connections; only the battered old 747s to BKK; not the most comfortable seat, and not the most charming service

For TG, you are fine on one of the newer retrofitted planes. I actually think the slope is one of the best for sleeping on, and the service will be better than LH - smaller cabin, so more intimate too. However, you have the problem of TG aircraft lottery - even on the flagship LHR route, something like 2% of flights are old aircraft, in which case, you may as well be flying Aeroflot

One upside to TG - there are 2 flights a day to LHR, and up to 3 to SYD, so connections are smooth, and if you are delayed, it's not such a long wait till the next flight
Old Nov 22, 10, 6:07 pm
JSC
Original Poster

Its on a thru ticket but we will be stopping over in BKK for 3 days so connections not a problem for us but the combinations I mentioned are the only choice for the price that's coming up.

Is LH bearable for an overnight flight? Not so bothered about service but would like to get a good night's sleep (or at least hope that my daughter does...)
Old Nov 22, 10, 8:58 pm

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
I found the seats on both lh and tg very similar in terms of getting the best sleep. That said I like the small business cabin upstairs on the 747 on TG.
Old Nov 23, 10, 4:23 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
the smaller business cabin in the nose of the LH 744 is also quite nice!

On this occasion I'd be choosing TG ex-LHR. With a family the extra transfer at FRA is something you could do without!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: