How to link bookings?

Old Nov 22, 10, 10:00 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA, NJ
Programs: LH SEN, AA EXP, UA 1K
Posts: 430
How to link bookings?

I have two seperate bookings that come together with a very tight connection in FRA.

How do I link the bookings (BA terminology, they used to let you do this) so that LH know I'm coming for my connection on an inbound LH flight?
duncfly is offline  
Old Nov 22, 10, 10:25 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: HAM
Posts: 556
buy ONE ticket only end-to-end from your origin to your final destination

OR

buy an insurance which gives you compensation in case of missed connection; cost is less 10$
rotanes is offline  
Old Nov 22, 10, 10:36 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DUS
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 490
I think the LH hotline may help. When I fly with a colleague I always ask them to link the two tickets, that he is marked as HOC, which can be very helpful for op-ups and it has worked several times.
shipsmail is offline  
Old Nov 22, 10, 11:09 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, SPG Gold
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by shipsmail View Post
I think the LH hotline may help. When I fly with a colleague I always ask them to link the two tickets, that he is marked as HOC, which can be very helpful for op-ups and it has worked several times.
I understand that by "link," the OP meant he wanted to join two connecting itineraries, both booked for himself (which as noted above is only possible if you buy the segments together as a single ticket - otherwise LH is not liable for a missed connection). You're referring to linking identical reservations of two separate people so that your companion can enjoy HON benefits.
ismann is offline  
Old Nov 22, 10, 12:26 pm
  #5  
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: FRA / YEG
Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 11,489
Originally Posted by duncfly View Post
I have two seperate bookings that come together with a very tight connection in FRA.

How do I link the bookings (BA terminology, they used to let you do this) so that LH know I'm coming for my connection on an inbound LH flight?
You can call LH and have the two tickets "linked" by having the agent making a reference in each PNR about the other leg ("cross-reference"), but LH will still not be liable if you your first flight is delayed. It may, however influence the GAs decision on whether/when to offload you from your 2nd flight if s/he sees that you´re arriving on a delayed LH flight.
Jasper2009 is offline  
Old Nov 22, 10, 2:45 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Posts: 4,490
I think there is at least another thread about this subject.

IIRC, even under different PNR/bookings, if you are flying with the same airline and you allow the minimun connecting time between flights, the airline is obliged to rebook you in case you miss the connection.

I have done this a few times(last time using the Biz class offer fm Eastern) but I have never had irrops.
more4less is offline  
Old Nov 22, 10, 2:52 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Point Place, Wisconsin
Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Posts: 14,498
Originally Posted by saviox View Post
...

IIRC, even under different PNR/bookings, if you are flying with the same airline and you allow the minimun connecting time between flights, the airline is obliged to rebook you in case you miss the connection.
.
No, you are on your own on separate tickets.
Rambuster is offline  
Old Nov 22, 10, 9:59 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Singapore, Warsaw, Surfers Paradise
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Posts: 4,876
It depends on the airline(s) in question. I have had separate tickets on two different carriers, and although I landed late and missed my connection... I had no trouble getting rebooked on the second flight a few hours later...

I still don't know whether this was just good luck, a helpful agent or simply standard procedure?
aster is offline  
Old Nov 23, 10, 3:06 am
  #9  
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: FRA / YEG
Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 11,489
Originally Posted by aster View Post
It depends on the airline(s) in question. I have had separate tickets on two different carriers, and although I landed late and missed my connection... I had no trouble getting rebooked on the second flight a few hours later...

I still don't know whether this was just good luck, a helpful agent or simply standard procedure?
Most likely a lot of good luck and a very helpful agent. Basically the airline has no legal obligation to accomodate you if you miss a flight if you have two seperate tickets. Airlines in the US are pretty relaxed about this on domestic routes and will usually put you on the next flight ("flat tire rule"), but outside the US you´re very lucky if you´re accomodated. (status and holding an (expensive) revenue ticket may help)
Jasper2009 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 10, 3:39 am
  #10  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,375
There are two ways to do this:
1. Put a specific note in each PNR so the agent handling the next flight sees in 'PICTURES' that you are on flt xx9999 arr 0000h in XXX. This note may or may not be considered before closing the flight.
2. Ask the agents who sold you the two tickets to add the segments of the other bookings in each other. This is a advanced function and no one will be really willing to do it if you bought the two booking from different sources. It will virtually marry the bookings (this is what US airlines do BTW) and should indicate to the agent handling the seocnd flight automatically that you are a connecting pax and are running late if applicable. Again, the agent will still offload you if you are running late.

In both cases if you miss the flight they will rebook you according to the ticket rules, ie if the ticket rules say for no-show you will get
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 10, 6:06 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA, NJ
Programs: LH SEN, AA EXP, UA 1K
Posts: 430
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
There are two ways to do this:
1. Put a specific note in each PNR so the agent handling the next flight sees in 'PICTURES' that you are on flt xx9999 arr 0000h in XXX. This note may or may not be considered before closing the flight.
2. Ask the agents who sold you the two tickets to add the segments of the other bookings in each other. This is a advanced function and no one will be really willing to do it if you bought the two booking from different sources. It will virtually marry the bookings (this is what US airlines do BTW) and should indicate to the agent handling the seocnd flight automatically that you are a connecting pax and are running late if applicable. Again, the agent will still offload you if you are running late.

In both cases if you miss the flight they will rebook you according to the ticket rules, ie if the ticket rules say for no-show you will get
Thanks guys.

My connecting flight is a cheap-as-chips bought on LH.COM EDI-FRA ticket and my onward flight is a travel agent bought C ticket FRA-EWR.

If I miss it then I will go next day. What I was trying to achieve was the gate agent on the EWR flight not off-loading me as a no-show if they understand that I am connecting (of course they eventually will off-load me if I am very late, but.....)

I called LH and they entered a note in each booking referencing the other PNR.

Hopefully everything runs to time and it all doesn't matter anyway
duncfly is offline  
Old Nov 23, 10, 10:17 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Posts: 4,490
Originally Posted by Rambuster View Post
No, you are on your own on separate tickets.
Hi Rambuster,

Thanks for the (bad) news.

I was sure it was different, but good to know that I have no rights in such a case.

Can some post here about the "missed connection" insurance for 10 USD?

Thanks,
more4less is offline  
Old Nov 23, 10, 12:08 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Point Place, Wisconsin
Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Posts: 14,498
Originally Posted by saviox View Post
Hi Rambuster,

Thanks for the (bad) news.

I was sure it was different, but good to know that I have no rights in such a case.

Can some post here about the "missed connection" insurance for 10 USD?

Thanks,
If both tickets are in the same PNR then the airlines are still liable for misconnections. ("known to airline")
A decent travel agent will be able to book it this way.

The insurance is ticketsafe.de

I have however never used this before and am not sure what the T&Cs are really like.

Last edited by Rambuster; Nov 23, 10 at 5:35 pm Reason: typo
Rambuster is offline  
Old Nov 23, 10, 12:14 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: FRA
Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Posts: 4,206
Originally Posted by saviox View Post
IIRC, even under different PNR/bookings, if you are flying with the same airline and you allow the minimun connecting time between flights, the airline is obliged to rebook you in case you miss the connection.
Why should they, if you don't buy the entire trip on one PNR first hand?

I mean, you must have had a reason to purchase your trip under different PNRs.

BTW, good offline TAs can still do this (but only before ticket issuing), i.e. put entire routing into one itinerary and then get single segments priced and issued separately.
SleepOverGreenland is offline  
Old Nov 23, 10, 1:39 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 11,200
Originally Posted by Rambuster View Post
If both tickets are in the same PNR then the airlines are still liable for misconnections. ("know to airline")
A decent travel agent will be able to book it this way....
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland View Post
...BTW, good offline TAs can still do this (but only before ticket issuing), i.e. put entire routing into one itinerary and then get single segments priced and issued separately.
I think you two are talking about the same thing.

An offline TA can book one PNR but price and issue two tickets. This needs to be done before ticketing and you will be protected in case of delays.
TerryK is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread