Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

The second 748i (first for LH) has its final body join [the all about LH 748i thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The second 748i (first for LH) has its final body join [the all about LH 748i thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by gum
Would be really fine if they would make a special edition of the Lufthansa Magazin. Similar to that of the A380 but only for the B747-8i.

http://a380.lufthansa.com/FASCINATIO...e/p1/LHMagazin

And thanks for sharing the info.
If you haven't already done so, look at the LH magazinApp, each month they have a feature that goes a little deeper than the LH magazin does. I've been receiving Magazin for a while and it meshes up nicely with the app, but the app goes deeper with pictures, etc. great compliment to each other.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:02 am

747-8i has minor set back

The FAA today banned the filling of the fuel tanks in the horizontal stabilizer on the 747-8i due to vibrations that apparently develop when the tanks contain fuel. It doesn't seem like a delay is likely, just a minor hiccup in whats been a fairly smooth development of the plane. Of course it has to happen just days or weeks before delivery......
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: Skywards Silver
The trim tank problem has long been known for quite some time and was reported back on 16JAN12:
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...ncerns-367148/

Also the 748 has not had a smooth development at all whatsoever. What was intended to be a "simple" re-engining & stretch of the 744 became a full blown redevelopment of certain major systems of the venerable 747 design, most noticeable is the new wing and extra stretched fuselage to match the 8I's length to that of the 8F. In so doing, the 748 took a 2 year setback in development time and several penalty payouts to customers and even now the current production 748s are still not on point with their performance targets. Most embarrassing though was the rejection in accepting delivery of their new 8Fs by launch customer Cargolux just a few days before all the ceremonies and press events were already planned, so no unfortunately the 748 has not had a smooth development programme with "minor" hiccups.

Hope Boeing has learnt their lesson and the 737Max development would be smoother.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by hamallu
The trim tank problem has long been known for quite some time and was reported back on 16JAN12:
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...ncerns-367148/

Also the 748 has not had a smooth development at all whatsoever. What was intended to be a "simple" re-engining & stretch of the 744 became a full blown redevelopment of certain major systems of the venerable 747 design, most noticeable is the new wing and extra stretched fuselage to match the 8I's length to that of the 8F. In so doing, the 748 took a 2 year setback in development time and several penalty payouts to customers and even now the current production 748s are still not on point with their performance targets. Most embarrassing though was the rejection in accepting delivery of their new 8Fs by launch customer Cargolux just a few days before all the ceremonies and press events were already planned, so no unfortunately the 748 has not had a smooth development programme with "minor" hiccups.

Hope Boeing has learnt their lesson and the 737Max development would be smoother.
Its been a far smoother path than the 787 and A380 had, granted not without issues. Of course the FAA decides to make it an issue today for Boeing vs. earlier in the flight testing phases......I guess thats what we can expect from a govt agency.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
The fuel tank is just one of many open points... it seems Boeing says, 'the FAA is OK with it, lets get the bird in the air and we'll fix things later in a refit like the 787' which of course LH won't take or is asking for some more discounts (like Cargolux). The tussle should be resolved in April though.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:51 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
LH will be running a competition starting on 22 March for two tickets for the first flight on the 748i (date and destination to be announced ).

http://747-8.lufthansa.com/#/reminder/home
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
LH will be running a competition starting on 22 March for two tickets for the first flight on the 748i (date and destination to be announced ).

Glad to see the link working...It was dead on twitter right after the FAA announced the tank issue. It was from LH's _de twitter team.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:14 am

This just dawned on me.....

My money is on the 8i flying FRA-JFK for its first route. Almost a no brainer if sentimental moments are important to LH. LH likes to celebrate milestones so this makes sense.

LH's first EVER passenger 747 (D-ABYA) service flew FRA-JFK on April 26, 1970. Had it not been for a couple of recent delays, LH could have flown the route almost to the day, 42 years later.

The first 747-8i is also D-ABYA making the parallel that much stronger and a perfect opportunity for this to be the first route.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:08 am

23th April

Now the delivery is promised for 23th of April:
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...livery-369867/
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack
Now the delivery is promised for 23th of April:
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...livery-369867/
A good a target date as any. Probably means a June entry into service??
Old Mar 24, 2012, 1:31 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner

Which class ? If economy then I am not interested.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:59 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Which class ? If economy then I am not interested.
You could book an exit row seat...
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
You could book an exit row seat...
I am sure it is gonna be hard to get especially on the inaugural flight even as a HON
Old Mar 24, 2012, 1:59 pm

Interior

So, to recall - what exactly is the 747-8 interior like?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
It will be a Boeing signature interior similar to the 777, with the Y similar to the A380, new C and new F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.