AMS-BKK best in "c" : Turkish or LH

Old Nov 17, 10, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
AMS-BKK best in "c" : Turkish or LH

What is the difference in seat , food ,etc.
Old Nov 17, 10, 6:32 am

Programs: LH FTL, EB, AB, PS, VV, NH
I'd say, it depends on:
1) where you want to connect: MUC (fast), FRA (can be hectic) or IST (no comment);
2) when you want to arrive;
3) whether you are willing to fly purely on LH/ TK or on mix of LH/TG;
4) if you are OK with a sudden chance of an aircraft (with TK);
5) food: tastes differ;
6) seats: --> see point 4 plus do some basic search on Turkish forum; they have at least 4 threads dedicated to IST-BKK; and on setguru there are several posts about C seats of LH and TK. It's easy to make a comparative overview of them.
7) on airliners.net there are two very recent reports of AMS-IST-BKK with TK in C and several reports of FRA-BKK on LH in C, too.
8) there is a thread here dedicated to what you can expect on intercontinental flights in C.
Old Nov 17, 10, 10:05 pm

Programs: LH Senator, TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, PC Gold, Marriott Gold
I have recently flown TK and LH to BKK in C and can say:
- flight: TK wins hand down: flat bed, good food, excellent inflight entertainment (large screens) more like LH F
- before/after flight: LH has superior customer service while TK.. well none.
My original outbound flight to BKK was delayed by 6 hours when I asked to be rebooked on another flight it took TK 4 hours to make the booking... when I then finally got the new ticket, it was for a flight that had already left... so they then put me on the next TK flight (next day).
In the mean time they had lost my luggage: when i asked how/when/where I will get my bag they simply told: it might show up in BKK and if not you should make a complaint there.
As I was flying C and Elite Plus, at least they made an effort to rebook other passengers were just given a 7 GBP voucher to get a bagel and wait for the new plane to arrive.
The next day Istanbul airport was temporary closed because of fog. The information screens still showed the old boarding times with no information when the flight would actually take off. Also for other flights there was no information available. Nobody was offered anything, just told wait till you hear an announcement. In the end the flight took off at 4 AM so I had to spend the whole night at the airport waiting for an annoucement when the flight would start boarding (from 23h00 the flight was shown on the screen as boarding!).
Passengers screaming. shouting to the TK staff to get information made sure you would not fall asleep and miss your flight.
I was lucky that my bag did show up in BKK as I would not like to go through the hassle of contacting TK.
On the return leg, I was thinking to rebook my ticket to a later flight but gave up as it was impossible to find any English speaking staff that could help.
so if you expect a smooth flight: go for TK, If you are unlucky (and with TK you can be quiet often unlucky) go for LH
Old Nov 18, 10, 8:19 am

Programs: LH, SA, AA
Mind you, TK doesn't have a flat bed in C on all planes.

TK is better in the air, LH is better on the ground - TK will be fine on the ground as long as there aren't any regular operations. Also, TK's staff's command of English is somewhat limited.
Old Nov 18, 10, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by scubadave View Post
What is the difference in seat , food ,etc.
What's wrong with AMS-(HUB) - BKK with either SK, OS or LX...?

I'd choose OS over LX over SK....!

But then again, you can also just fly out of CDG and take TG with their new 77W aircraft (ex-9W)!
Old Nov 20, 10, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN
Originally Posted by capetonian View Post
TK will be fine on the ground as long as there aren't any regular operations. Also, TK's staff's command of English is somewhat limited.
Freudian slip?
Indeed, there hardly ever are regular operations at IST...
At certain times of the day, the airport is very crowded: aircraft queuing up for take-off almost all the way back to the terminal building.

Personally, I found staff at the lounge great, though. English never been a problem.
Old Nov 21, 10, 12:18 pm

Programs: LH, SA, AA
Originally Posted by KIXJNB View Post
Freudian slip?
Indeed.

Personally, I found staff at the lounge great, though. English never been a problem.
Agree with you re. the lounge staff. The lounge is pretty acceptable as well.

I had some serious communication problems last time I flew with them and the transfer centre in IST had to sort out one or other problem with my booking.

Search this Thread