FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   What to do with 70000 miles ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1140157-what-do-70000-miles.html)

vilntrav Oct 24, 2010 2:52 pm

What to do with 70000 miles ?

Last year I benefited from the buy out of Brussels Airlines by Lufthansa, and got my miles gained on Brussels Airlines (through Amex card and not through traveling) transfered to Miles and More program.

I suppose miles are not interesting to redeem on short flight on coach class ?

I was thinking about upgrading to business on a traject like Frankfut-BKK, for example. If I don't have enough miles can I buy miles which would lack ?

Or are they any other use of these miles I could do ? I fly maybe 5 times a year inside Europe gaining some miles in the program, but really quite a few...

Rambuster Oct 24, 2010 3:22 pm

Try to get some more miles via newspapers, mobile phones, etc !
90k will get you a C ticket to the US.
60k on the other hand will get you a C ticket to Dubai (or other Middle East destinations).
Upgrading with miles is a waste of miles, as two upgrades are more expensive than a C class award return flight ! :eek:

vilntrav Oct 24, 2010 11:26 pm

Thank you very much.
Apart from the few miles I get when flying coach with Brussels Airlines LOT or Lufthansa, the only way I know getting some miles is through staying in certain hotels. I would be happy to have other suggestions.
There is a French credit card "Miles and more" but being non-resident in France I can't get it. Also my main programs now are Balticmiles and Eurobonus, I don't fly enough to invest in a third program, I just want to use my Miles and more miles in a comfortable way.

Originally Posted by Rambuster (Post 15004954)
Try to get some more miles via newspapers, mobile phones, etc !
90k will get you a C ticket to the US.
60k on the other hand will get you a C ticket to Dubai (or other Middle East destinations).
Upgrading with miles is a waste of miles, as two upgrades are more expensive than a C class award return flight ! :eek:

dre_techie Oct 25, 2010 3:54 am

Do you have Starwood points? You can transfer 20k of those to 25k M&M miles (you get a 5K bonus for transferring 20k).

You can top-up there cheaper than with M&M directly. They have a 20% off promo until the end of the year and with the current USD-EUR exchange it's even better than it was in the summer. 20k Starwood points cost 560USD with the promo. You can also expect 300-350EUR in taxes for the M&M award to the US.

vilntrav Oct 25, 2010 3:56 am

I don't have Starwood points but I will study the idea of buying some and transferring them to M&M. Thanks for the suggestion.