FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   FRA-Canada in First Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1138874-fra-canada-first-class.html)

Jasper2009 Oct 20, 2010 5:35 pm

FRA-Canada in First Class

I was just checking some random flights between FRA and Canada in April and noticed two changes:

1. FRA-YVR is operated by a 744. I thought LH always used a 346 on this route, to be exact I canīt remember LH flying a 744 to any Canadian destination in a long time. Very interesting.

2. FRA-YYC now seems to be operated by a 343 with First Class. IIRC this route has always been operated by a 2-class aircrafts.

Does anyone have any info on these changes? Were they announced/discussed anywhere?

Jalinth Oct 20, 2010 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 14982695)
Does anyone have any info on these changes? Were they announced/discussed anywhere?

LH has gone to 3 class aircraft to many Canadian for at least the last couple of summers. Not sure why but seems pretty common.

NA-Flyer Oct 21, 2010 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Jalinth (Post 14983036)
Not sure why but seems pretty common.

Low loads. Canadian market does not support operating a first class product on Canada-Germany routes.

sentom Oct 21, 2010 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Jalinth (Post 14983036)
LH has gone to 3 class aircraft to many Canadian for at least the last couple of summers. Not sure why but seems pretty common.

Originally Posted by LH/LX (Post 14984408)
Low loads. Canadian market does not support operating a first class product on Canada-Germany routes.

:confused:

ande777emt Oct 21, 2010 4:52 am

I think most of Canada's corporate community are satisfied with C, that's why the mainly 2 class aircraft. Our Canadian office, even their most senior level employees fly Biz, whereas in my office, most of the senior guys would never downgrade to C unless it's VS Upper class.

Jimgotkp Oct 21, 2010 11:13 am

Why not just fly LX F from ZRH to YUL in the new F.

NA-Flyer Oct 23, 2010 11:19 am

Originally Posted by ande777emt (Post 14984904)
I think most of Canada's corporate community are satisfied with C, that's why the mainly 2 class aircraft.

Unfortunately many corporates in Canada still think that even flying BIZ is a luxury :confused:

TRAVELSIG Oct 24, 2010 10:55 am

Not sure about all the confusion here- LH sells F on FRA/YVR from March-October every year. On some dates, they use a 744 as they have loads sufficient (I don't know by class- however total number of pax) to justify it. It is not that common- however not that unusual.
YYC use to have F, however they dropped it for low demand.
YYZ has some kind of F, although I don't know when/how it works.
LX with YUL is introducing year round F service to ZRH.
In the spring/summer/autumn, the loads to YVR are very strong from Europe.
Around Christmas, there was a two week period last year where LH was flying a 3 class aircraft, however F was available to anyone with a paid C ticket who made the correct ASR- in this case, service was C, and throughout the flight the curtains were open etc.
LH seems to follow the Canadian market quite closely- so if there is enough demand for F, it will probably appear.

NA-Flyer Oct 28, 2010 4:40 am

Unfortunately, for the whole winter TT period, LH will not serve First class product to Canada on all its routes with an exception to the YUL-MUC-YUL route operating 5 times per week :td::td:

ariyo15 Apr 1, 2011 10:19 am

A380 service to Canada?

I know LH has been making lots of moves pushing the A380 into NY, SFO and now maybe even MIA?

Anyways, I wanted to know: What are the chances they'll bring it in for their long-haul Canadian routes? YVR? YYC? Any chances?

Just a thought...

NA-Flyer Apr 1, 2011 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by ariyo15 (Post 16141757)
I know LH has been making lots of moves pushing the A380 into NY, SFO and now maybe even MIA?

Anyways, I wanted to know: What are the chances they'll bring it in for their long-haul Canadian routes? YVR? YYC? Any chances?

Just a thought...

ZERO chances.

Jasper2009 Apr 1, 2011 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by ariyo15 (Post 16141757)

Just a thought...

Very unlikely IMO.

LH only has one daily flight to YYZ, YYC and YVR ex-FRA, MUC-YUL and DUS-YYZ, and some of these flights are seasonal.

Thereīs not a huge demand for (revenue) F seats on the Canadian routes, and filling 98 (old-style) C seats also would be a big challenge, especially as AC has a much better hard product and operates more daily flights on more routes.

The only flight with potential for an equipment upgrade would be FRA-YVR IMO as LH has a quasi-monopoly on that route and yields are pretty decent AFAIK, but there are a dozen+ places which would get the 388 before that.

ande777emt Apr 1, 2011 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 16144475)
Very unlikely IMO.

LH only has one daily flight to YYZ, YYC and YVR ex-FRA, MUC-YUL and DUS-YYZ, and some of these flights are seasonal.

Thereīs not a huge demand for (revenue) F seats on the Canadian routes, and filling 98 (old-style) C seats also would be a big challenge, especially as AC has a much better hard product and operates more daily flights on more routes.

The only flight with potential for an equipment upgrade would be FRA-YVR IMO as LH has a quasi-monopoly on that route and yields are pretty decent AFAIK, but there are a dozen+ places which would get the 388 before that.

Even YVR-FRA only supports a 343 much of the year and to place a 388 on the route I think LH would want success with a 744 before they'd consider a 388; that's likely one reason why MIA is getting a 388, LH sells out FRA-MIA and wants to add additional capacity to the route while pulling in a 744 for new F conversions.

NA-Flyer Apr 2, 2011 1:11 am

Originally Posted by ande777emt (Post 16145306)
Even YVR-FRA only supports a 343 much of the year and to place a 388 on the route I think LH would want success with a 744 before they'd consider a 388;

Quite true. LH planned to deploy a 744 to YVR for the whole summer season of this year, however, they changed their plans and switched the EQPT to A346 due to the low count of passengers.

NA-Flyer Jan 21, 2012 8:50 am

LH will bring back F class service to YYZ starting with the new summer time table march 25, 2012 using the A346 ^