Burning up my M&M points

Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Burning up my M&M points

My SEN is running out in Feb 2011 and I've got about 270k with M&M.

Given that my flying has dropped considerably in the last two years, I doubt I'll be able to renew SEN or get any meaningful amount of points in the next year or so.

As such, I'm thinking of burning the points.

Now, earlier this year I spent my OW points for a round-trip Australia to Europe in first class to propose to my then girlfriend (now fiancee ... )

With 270k, I can use that to go Asia/Europe in FC providing I go with M&M carriers as I can use the 50% SEN discount.

Given that I'm just looking to burn points that means my schedule is flexible and I'm thinking of trying out NRT-FRA in LH's 380. However, I've also read about LX's F and I'm wondering if it might be worth it to go NRT-ZRH (or some other Asian destination but most likely NRT as my fiancee has been wanting to go to Japan) and check out LX F and then back FRA-NRT on LH 380?

Or should I just go LH 380 F both ways?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:10 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Always good to try out different things so I would mix and match.

However, how will you get to Japan on M&M from Sydney? Only CA and OZ do this without making it a 3 region award and there is no F. So it would be 2 C awards which are 180,000 for the two of you leaving not enough miles for the NRT-FRA flights.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Sydney/Asia will have to be out of my own pocket unfortunately.

I was more curious if the LX F product (hard and soft) are worth checking out. I know LH F in FRA is supposed to be amazing and I wasn't sure if perhaps LH F out of NRT might be just as amazing or if it's no different than LX F.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by t1nt1n
Sydney/Asia will have to be out of my own pocket unfortunately.

I was more curious if the LX F product (hard and soft) are worth checking out. I know LH F in FRA is supposed to be amazing and I wasn't sure if perhaps LH F out of NRT might be just as amazing or if it's no different than LX F.
Id probably fly NRT-ZRH-FRA (LX) on the outbound (youll have access to the FCL in ZRH) and FRA-NRT (LH on the A380) on the inbound (using the FCT).
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:36 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Id probably fly NRT-ZRH-FRA (LX) on the outbound (youll have access to the FCL in ZRH) and FRA-NRT (LH on the A380) on the inbound (using the FCT).
Agree.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

There's F on ZRH-FRA?

I can't seem to find any such fares? If not, wouldn't I just end up in the C lounge as my outward flight is C?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Global, Miles and More SEN,
Pretty sure that same day (24hrs) in F let's you use F lounge. I learned it on FT.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's F on ZRH-FRA?

I can't seem to find any such fares? If not, wouldn't I just end up in the C lounge as my outward flight is C?
Theres no F (only C) on intra-European flights, but when arriving on LX in F and connecting to a flight in a lower class, you are entitled to use the FCL.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Sweeeeeeeeeet.

Thanks everyone!

Now to plan a European trip ...
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:29 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
However, I've also read about LX's F and I'm wondering if it might be worth it to go NRT-ZRH (or some other Asian destination but most likely NRT as my fiancee has been wanting to go to Japan) and check out LX F and then back FRA-NRT on LH 380?
NRT-ZRH on LX will be on the A343 which does/will not have the new F seat. Some people seem to prefer it to the new LX F seat and definitely rate it higher than the existing LH F.

Another consideration: NRT-Europe is a daylight flight, Europe-NRT although departing early afternoon is effectively an overnight flight.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:23 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Since you proposed to your GF and she apparently said yes (congrats!), remember to keep some miles for a nice honeymoon trip...
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
NRT-ZRH on LX will be on the A343 which does/will not have the new F seat. Some people seem to prefer it to the new LX F seat and definitely rate it higher than the existing LH F.
Interesting. Assuming I can't find a return flight on the 380, I suppose I'll just go check out LX F ... though bad as it may be I might "settle" for LH F on the way back to check out the whole FRA FCT thing.

I don't have a problem with "older" F product so long as I can tell it's an F product, eg., we took CX F HKG-CDG with their "new" F but on the way back we were on BA F LHR-SIN which was definitely a bit worn out but ... you know, it's still a pretty nice seat (though it was the service that really made it my best flight ever, topping even my favorite SQ flights).

So yes, older F I don't mind though I suppose the attraction is all the new gee-whiz F products as old F is just like new C these days (well, depending where you look).

Another consideration: NRT-Europe is a daylight flight, Europe-NRT although departing early afternoon is effectively an overnight flight.
Yup! Been checking out the times and NRT-Europe is a flight I'd love to try as all my F flights have been overnight so far! That said, I have no problem sleeping my way through an F flight ... that's what the bed is for.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That said, I have no problem sleeping my way through an F flight ... that's what the bed is for.
If you decide to have both a full meal in the FCT and a full 5 course meal in the air and have a drink with each course and another few pre/post-departure drinks (it wouldnt be polite to refuse a drink after all ), youll very much appreciate having a bed to relax!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:45 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Assuming I can't find a return flight on the 380, I suppose I'll just go check out LX F ... though bad as it may be I might "settle" for LH F on the way back to check out the whole FRA FCT thing.
If you are flexible I can't see why you can't get an F award on the A380 provided you get an agent who knows how to waitlist for an F award. In addition I'm not sure if SEN/HON waitlisting for F awards on the A380 applies to SEN/HON themselves only or to travelling companions as well.

If you don't mind the "old" LH F you can always fly FRA-MUC-NRT and still maximise your FRA FCT experience.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:40 am
Original Poster

If you decide to have both a full meal in the FCT and a full 5 course meal in the air and have a drink with each course and another few pre/post-departure drinks (it wouldnt be polite to refuse a drink after all ), youll very much appreciate having a bed to relax!
Oh god. The last time I had a drink everytime it was offered on the plane I threw up the C galley of NZ 5. For many people that's a value-add but noooo ... not for me.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If you are flexible I can't see why you can't get an F award on the A380 provided you get an agent who knows how to waitlist for an F award. In addition I'm not sure if SEN/HON waitlisting for F awards on the A380 applies to SEN/HON themselves only or to travelling companions as well.

If you don't mind the "old" LH F you can always fly FRA-MUC-NRT and still maximise your FRA FCT experience.
Yes, but I hear "old" LH F is worse than "old" LX F ... so yeah, I don't mind old LX F but I may have second thoughts over LH F.

But hmm, I didn't realize it's a waitlist. I should call LH asap!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.