Boarding "circus" with LH?

Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by chris63
Lucky you, ex MAN itís now rare for any flight not to have wheel chair pre boarding....
Maybe itís watching cricket games, what makes people lame.
chris63 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by thbe
Maybe itís watching cricket games, what makes people lame.
Itís MAN, maybe they could walk before they left the bar.
IAN-UK and thbe like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
This pre-boarding chicanery reminds me of an FR flight in LPL I took a few years back where a single couple with an infant and stroller somehow took about a dozen friends with them before the Priority boarding opened.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: A3*G LH*G
Originally Posted by thbe
You find peope, who were jumping around at the check-in area before, sitting in wheelchairs later. I wouldn't be surprised, if there is a "rent-a-grandma" agency for that. On the other hand that is quite entertaining.
Actually everyone can request wheelchair assistance (WCHR, WCHS, WCHC) while booking (or, at the latest, 48 hours before the departure) and the airlines do not verify the condition of the passenger, so it opens a wide range of possibilities for fraudulent (or, at least, not justified medically) requests.

Only recently I've seen the terminal (YYZ) running out of wheelchairs, so they have to board supposed paraplegics in two rounds, recycling the wheelchairs.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: LH SEN
I'm confused by people who think non-disabled folk would request wheelchair assistance just to board early.

If you have ever had to use wheelchair assistance you would know that it's something you would do anything to avoid at most airports.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by supine
I'm confused by people who think non-disabled folk would request wheelchair assistance just to board early.

If you have ever had to use wheelchair assistance you would know that it's something you would do anything to avoid at most airports.
I don't know what you consider 'most airports' but I'm with those who have witnessed people fully abled in the lounge or at a restaurant, but then see them at the gate being pushed in a wheelchair. Something's not right.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, AF Silver

I disagree, as my mother used to do this, so I know for a fact that they definitely exist. Was so embarrassing for me when I traveled with her in my youth.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't know what you consider 'most airports' but I'm with those who have witnessed people fully abled in the lounge or at a restaurant, but then see them at the gate being pushed in a wheelchair. Something's not right.
Witnessed it too, sooo many times, clearly whatís wrong is abuse of the system
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CLP1, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Dia, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat

Iíve sat in Lufthansa first class listening to a very loud man on his mobile after boarding, boasting to whoever he was talking to about how he pretended to need a wheelchair so he didnít have to walk from the lounge to the aircraft.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:46 am

I hadn't come across the LH boarding groups until today (at FRA) and saw the system flat-out refuse those that tried to board before it was their turn. Which made me wonder:

What if you're trying to accrue/earn on one mileage programme while wanting to use your existing *G status on another for the priority boarding? Previously if my boarding pass didn't indicate "priority boarding" I used to show my *G card to the gate agent, just to be sure of course, because afaik automatic denials didn't exist yet. Can the gate agent now overrule the system (without putting the *G status in the booking)?
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

In the US, there are certain flights (like anything into FLL or PBI) that are called "miracle flights" because of the number of wheelchair-bound pax who miraculously regain their ability to walk as soon as the aircraft lands.
chris63, mmff and Maniak like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
In the US, there are certain flights (like anything into FLL or PBI) that are called "miracle flights" because of the number of wheelchair-bound pax who miraculously regain their ability to walk as soon as the aircraft lands.
Yes, up in the air must have been an uplifting experience, miracles can happen & on a 5* airline what else
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
You can add RSW to that list!
Old Dec 14, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I would like to note though that just because someone is able to walk short distances in a restaurant or a lounge, it doesn't mean that they can take up long treks across airports or board up the stairs.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:51 am

"Post"-pandemic (and after a switch of home base airport and airline) I am back to travelling on LH and my old question came up again...

Originally Posted by Sasnes
What if you're trying to accrue/earn on one mileage programme while wanting to use your existing *G status on another programme for the priority boarding? (...) Can the gate agent (...) overrule the system (without putting the *G status in the booking)?
Does anyone have experiences to share on this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.