Boarding "circus" with LH?

Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by EJJBHX
Sure, fair point. Whatever it's called, I'd just like not to be able to board first. Part of the point of having HON/SEN status is to give you priority, so it makes no sense to be stuck in a slow queue down the jetbridge with all the other business and even economy flex passengers. 20 minutes lost that I could be doing something useful with.
I solved this problem by flipping my mindset around. Now I aim to be the last on board rather than the first. Obviously this only works if you're not competing for overhead bin space; these days I'm usually traveling with only a backpack that I can shove under the seat in front of me if needed. Otherwise, it's terrific: more time working in a comfy lounge, minimal queue to scan boarding pass at the gate, minimal queue on the jet bridge, and less time spent sitting on the plane waiting for it to take off so that the WiFi can be activated
East_and_West likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, AF Silver
Originally Posted by Recyclops
I solved this problem by flipping my mindset around. Now I aim to be the last on board rather than the first. Obviously this only works if you're not competing for overhead bin space; these days I'm usually traveling with only a backpack that I can shove under the seat in front of me if needed. Otherwise, it's terrific: more time working in a comfy lounge, minimal queue to scan boarding pass at the gate, minimal queue on the jet bridge, and less time spent sitting on the plane waiting for it to take off so that the WiFi can be activated
I think this is right. I've never had issues with overhead space when not sitting in the first row. But when I do, I've had some issues if I don't board early.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: EBD , FBG
This is my exact strategy also, especially on short flights where I get an aisle seat. If Iím flying long haul premium cabin, I might board early to get comfy and have pre-departure drink, otherwise I see no reason to spend more time in plane than necessary.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:41 am

I'm sometimes wondering about the number of people accompaning a person who needs assistance. And I often see them not helping that person at all. The record, I've witnessed, was more than 20 people. From my experience espeicially people from India use that rule to pre-board a lot of people. You find peope, who were jumping around at the check-in area before, sitting in wheelchairs later. I wouldn't be surprised, if there is a "rent-a-grandma" agency for that.

On the other Hand that is quite entertaining.
chris63, SPlDER and andywaw like this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by thbe
You find people, who were jumping around at the check-in area before, sitting in wheelchairs later.
I wouldn't be surprised, if there is a "rent-a-grandma" agency for that.
thbe, you made my day! ^
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
This is an approach I wish many more would take. However, quite often while you manage to arrive the boarding gate with no queue left once you get in to the jet bridge there is 50+ people standing in front of you. And at this point the line moves really slowly as overhead bin space is getting more and more difficult to find. The question is, how late are you comfortable to arrive at the gate not to miss the flight while being late enough to not have too many people in front of you in the jet bridge?
East_and_West likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by andywaw
thbe, you made my day! ^
Well itís definitely racist. That said I do deeply enjoy the majority fake wheelchairs parade into the gate, mostly because it highlights a culture that takes a different, existential perspective on lines and queues and order. And I think both cultures could stand to learn a thing or two from each other.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
Well itís definitely racist.
Actually it's not. I don't believe, that any race or nationality is superior to another. But that doesn't mean, that they are all the same regarding everything. I.e. compared to most other countries we Germans are unable to do small talk. That doesn't mean, that we are worth less. We are just more annoying.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:12 am

Actually it's not. I don't believe, that any race or nationality is superior to another. But that doesn't mean, that they are all the same regarding everything. I.e. compared to most other countries we Germans are unable to do small talk. That doesn't mean, that we are worth less. We are just more annoying.
So I donít think being racist necessarily involves thinking one race is superior to another (although it commonly does, and BTW there was a hint of distaste over the wheelchair mob in your post). Generalizations about a particular race can also be racist. Happy to discuss more over PM.

To be fair, itís not the worst Iíve seen on this forum. Although the mods are pretty inconsistent when it comes to enforcing the rule. I was temporarily banned for making a generalization similar to this a few months ago.

Last edited by sophialite; Dec 3, 2019 at 2:41 am
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Well itís definitely racist. That said I do deeply enjoy the majority fake wheelchairs parade into the gate, mostly because it highlights a culture that takes a different, existential perspective on lines and queues and order. And I think both cultures could stand to learn a thing or two from each other.
Not every cultural observation is racist. I, for example, have noticed in my travels that Japanese people appear to be quite fond of raw fish, and Canadians have a thing for hockey.
chris63, Maniak and thbe like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:58 am

So I donít think being racist necessarily involves thinking one race is superior to another (although it commonly does, and BTW there was a hint of distaste over the wheelchair mob in your post). Generalizations about a particular race can also be racist. Happy to discuss more over PM.
I didn't say, that all Indians are pre-boarding with wheelchairs. I've said, that on my flights with many pre-boarders, most of them were Indians. That is what I've seen. And on flights within Europe I see a wheelchair on maybe every tenth flight.
chris63 and FriendlyConfines like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:01 am

I didn't say, that all Indians are pre-boarding with wheelchairs. I've said, that on my flights with many pre-boarders, most of them were Indians. That is what I've seen. And on flights within Europe I see a wheelchair on maybe every tenth flight.
I know what you said, but Iím referring to what you implied. And Iím personally not offended (if anything I buttressed the point). I think everyone is racist. Iím just calling an instance of it out, thatís all.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:08 am

I know what you said, but Iím referring to what you implied. And Iím personally not offended (if anything I buttressed the point). I think everyone is racist. Iím just calling an instance of it out, thatís all.
I don*t think, that everyone is racist. Some are, others not.

I'm only discriminating other people for their football club or for their choice of car. Both is not racist. And they deserve that.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:09 am

I don*t think, that everyone is racist. Some are, others not.

I'm only discriminating other people for their football club or for their choice of car. Both is not racist. And they deserve that.
Yes, there are generalizations that arenít racist and there are generalizations that are. I think we all get that.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
And on flights within Europe I see a wheelchair on maybe every tenth flight.
Lucky you, ex MAN itís now rare for any flight not to have wheel chair pre boarding....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.