Boarding "circus" with LH?

Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Just had the new boarding groups in OPO. My only comment: they boarded 1 and 2 at the same time, what’s the point of splitting them then?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Just had the new boarding groups in OPO. My only comment: they boarded 1 and 2 at the same time, whats the point of splitting them then?
The new boarding system wasnt made for your boarding at OPO only. If you have i.e. 2 groups, its easy to let them board at the same time, if needed. If you always have them in 1 group, its difficult to split them, if needed. There are good reasons to let them board together or to split them.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CLP1, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Dia, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by thbe
The new boarding system wasnt made for your boarding at OPO only. If you have i.e. 2 groups, its easy to let them board at the same time, if needed. If you always have them in 1 group, its difficult to split them, if needed. There are good reasons to let them board together or to split them.
But they dont split them. Ive seen half the plane in groups 1 and 2 at LHR under the new process... Doesnt work.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by vantage03
But they dont split them. Ive seen half the plane in groups 1 and 2 at LHR under the new process... Doesnt work.
And a good third of the A321 was in 1 or 2 in OPO this morning.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, AF Silver
Yeah IME they've never split them, so I don't see the point in having different groups for 1 and 2.

I think what's irritating about this was that there were many ways to improve on the existing system, but the system LHG chose wasn't one of them and arguably made it worse. I wonder how someone could be so incompetent but here's where we are
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by vantage03
Yep, in practice not working at MAN either
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: LH HON**
I note that United allows Global Services members (HON equivalent) to board first, ahead of anyone else (maybe babies and serving military first), and recently started pre-boarding for Premier 1K after Global Services. Then moving on to Group 1 (which includes other Star Gold and Business/Domestic First). Nice for them not to have to join the rest of Groups 1 and 2, which are often half of the plane. Lufthansa could learn from that - it would be nice, as HON, to have real priority boarding.
chris63 and vantage03 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by EJJBHX
I note that United allows Global Services members (HON equivalent) to board first, ahead of anyone else (maybe babies and serving military first), and recently started pre-boarding for Premier 1K after Global Services. Then moving on to Group 1 (which includes other Star Gold and Business/Domestic First). Nice for them not to have to join the rest of Groups 1 and 2, which are often half of the plane. Lufthansa could learn from that - it would be nice, as HON, to have real priority boarding.
I disagree, although I think the point I'm about to make will still appeal to you. I dislike the fact that GS and 1K board before Group 1 because then Group 1 isn't really Group 1. It's just marketing doubletalk. And it reminds me of back in my early days of flying when Virgin America gave me "Group A" but I still boarded 5 real groups in. It really irritates me when airlines do this marketing stuff. There's nothing at all gratifying about being in Group 1 when in actuality you're really in Group 3.

Group 1 should be, always, the group that boards first. Now who is in Group 1 is open to debate, and this is where I see the case for HONs being in Group 1, SENs/*G/Business Group 2, etc. Theoretically, I actually think it works that way, but practically both groups currently board at the same time so the distinction is pointless.

Applied to the United context, I'd say we should just be honest and label GS as Group 1, 1K as Group 2, *G/UAG/UA Plats/Business as Group 3, etc. I get that it's not as mentally gratifying to be in Group 3, but at least your intelligence won't be insulted being classified as Group 1 and still waiting forever to board.

I'll note that for some routes out of SFO, "pre" Group 1 passengers can easily account for 25% to 33% of a narrowbody plane.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sophialite
I disagree, although I think the point I'm about to make will still appeal to you. I dislike the fact that GS and 1K board before Group 1 because then Group 1 isn't really Group 1. It's just marketing doubletalk. And it reminds me of back in my early days of flying when Virgin America gave me "Group A" but I still boarded 5 real groups in. It really irritates me when airlines do this marketing stuff. There's nothing at all gratifying about being in Group 1 when in actuality you're really in Group 3.

Group 1 should be, always, the group that boards first. Now who is in Group 1 is open to debate, and this is where I see the case for HONs being in Group 1, SENs/*G/Business Group 2, etc. Theoretically, I actually think it works that way, but practically both groups currently board at the same time so the distinction is pointless.

Applied to the United context, I'd say we should just be honest and label GS as Group 1, 1K as Group 2, *G/UAG/UA Plats/Business as Group 3, etc. I get that it's not as mentally gratifying to be in Group 3, but at least your intelligence won't be insulted being classified as Group 1 and still waiting forever to board.

I'll note that for some routes out of SFO, "pre" Group 1 passengers can easily account for 25% to 33% of a narrowbody plane.
Your proposal would also fall foul of your marketing hatred. Ultimately it is just what you call it, 1, A, Pre-, Elite, Priority, Special, whatever. I actually think the United system (disabilities, active military, GS, families with under 2s, 1K) works very well. There is little point in taking the stance that Group 1 is really Group 6 on this basis, because the huge majority of UAs flights have very few people in the pre-boarding group. You're right about SFO, ORD and EWR, but I don't find it much of a problem.
chris63 and vantage03 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador

Group 1 should be, always, the group that boards first.
I commonly hear in gate announcements stuff like: "This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight KL 123 to Amsterdam. We are now inviting those passengers with small children, and any passengers requiring special assistance, to begin boarding at this time." Well it's not really pre-boarding is it - it's boarding first.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
I commonly hear in gate announcements stuff like: "This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight KL 123 to Amsterdam. We are now inviting those passengers with small children, and any passengers requiring special assistance, to begin boarding at this time." Well it's not really pre-boarding is it - it's boarding first.
Im fine with this. But at a certain point it became out of control.

Suddenly pre-boarding became people who need assistance, people with children, army vets, GS, 1K. In a United hub that can be a significant chunk of the plane.

just call a spade a spade. Group 1 should board first.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Im fine with this. But at a certain point it became out of control.

Suddenly pre-boarding became people who need assistance, people with children, army vets, GS, 1K. In a United hub that can be a significant chunk of the plane.

just call a spade a spade. Group 1 should board first.
Yes, youve said this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: LH HON**

Sure, fair point. Whatever it's called, I'd just like not to be able to board first. Part of the point of having HON/SEN status is to give you priority, so it makes no sense to be stuck in a slow queue down the jetbridge with all the other business and even economy flex passengers. 20 minutes lost that I could be doing something useful with.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by EJJBHX
Sure, fair point. Whatever it's called, I'd just like not to be able to board first. Part of the point of having HON/SEN status is to give you priority, so it makes no sense to be stuck in a slow queue down the jetbridge with all the other business and even economy flex passengers. 20 minutes lost that I could be doing something useful with.
Agreed.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:15 am
Suspended

The problem is not nomenclature, though I understand some people obsessing about this. The problem is a complete lack of enforcement. Even with UA this is occasionally a problem. A few weeks ago (in EWR) someone attempted to pre-board with 1K when they were Group 2. The agent sent them back to the (now quite long) Group 2 line. I wish LH would adopt a more rigid policy, because it just irritates everyone when there is a scrum at the gate.
chris63, vantage03 and Maniak like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.