Boarding "circus" with LH?

Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by oliver2002
.. I usually board as late as possible as I like minimizing the time spent on board.
I just wonder why that is? I mean I hate LH, so I try to minimize the exposure ... but should you not enjoy the modern and lavish interiors and the friendly staff and a fair shot at the overhead space?
Originally Posted by aster
As long as they let people with kids board first I'm happy. Unfortunately, way too often I see the gate staff "omit" this part of the boarding procedure and just open up the flood gates...
Just maintain your *G status, then you don't need to bring along that infant mock up every time you need to rush in early.

I fail to see why people with lower paying pax in their entourage should get a better shot at the boarding rodeo than fully paying folks.
Originally Posted by snickerstestpilot
In Amsterdam today they turned away anyone not in business class who tried to board which I thought was pretty brave
So how many complaining F pax did you count then?

While this sounds stupid, I did experience this in FRA. When a young and evidently inexperienced GA apprentice tried to board the asters of this world first and turned away an F pax. He came back fractions of a minute later with a sup who lectured the brat.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
What is the LH Boarding Process for TATL Flights

I'll flying BOS-MUC this weekend and was wondering about the boarding process on LH. I'm *G. The only other time I flew LH was in business class so I was one of the first to board. I'm in the cattle car section this trip. Do they board *G along with LH elites after Biz/First? Then after elites they board everyone else by rows? I'm hoping *G gets me priority boarding.

I also then have a connection to ARN. The LH web site says for European flights, *G and LH elites board first. Web site doen't say anything about TATL flights though.

I just printed my boarding passes. They both have a big 'M' on the top next to the bar code. No idea what that means. Also, one leg says boarding number 1, the other leg says boarding number 14. Again no idea what they mean but I'm guessing it means I was the first to check in for one flight and the 14th on the other?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:46 pm

The M is just a generic code for economy. I don't think it really means anything other than to quickly alert someone looking at your BP as to your class of travel.

As a star gold you can line up with biz and first class boarding in BOS. You'll see placards for Business/First at the gate and it will have a star G logo/text at the bottom.

In intra europe, they usually board biz/*G first then the rest of the aircraft.

Originally Posted by BMWMOT
I'll flying BOS-MUC this weekend and was wondering about the boarding process on LH. I'm *G. The only other time I flew LH was in business class so I was one of the first to board. I'm in the cattle car section this trip. Do they board *G along with LH elites after Biz/First? Then after elites they board everyone else by rows? I'm hoping *G gets me priority boarding.

I also then have a connection to ARN. The LH web site says for European flights, *G and LH elites board first. Web site doen't say anything about TATL flights though.

I just printed my boarding passes. They both have a big 'M' on the top next to the bar code. No idea what that means. Also, one leg says boarding number 1, the other leg says boarding number 14. Again no idea what they mean but I'm guessing it means I was the first to check in for one flight and the 14th on the other?
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:52 am

What is the LH Boarding Process for TATL Flights

M = Minderzahler ( = someone paying less --> eco)
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Remote stands at MUC ....

Priority boarding is not enforced, for obvious reasons
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:49 pm

Stop worring LH flight are not the same kind of zoo like US flights. Remember they restrict hand luggage so that is not the same kind of issue
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:40 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moeve
Stop worring LH flight are not the same kind of zoo like US flights. Remember they restrict hand luggage so that is not the same kind of issue
+1
Old Dec 15, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: *A Gold (LH SEN), Hertz 5*
Just flew BOS-MUC Friday.
Boarding procedure was:
- First and HON
- Business, Senator, Star Gold and LH FTL (not *A Silver)
- Economy
All through the same channel, no different line-ups, so it got a little messy.

I do agree that on LH TATL its not as bad as on many US carrier flights with hand luggage etc. But I still enjoy priority boarding since it is more conveinient to get everything stored and setteled back in the eco when there is not so much melee around me.

In general I find it quite interesting how boarding procedures are different between airports. Here some of them that I can still remember halfway:

BOS: See above

JFK:
- First, HON (if I remember correctly they walked right in through the middle)
- Business, Star Gold and Star Silver in one line
- Eco in the other line

EWR:
- First, HON (I think they were separate?)
- Business, Star Gold (no FTL oder Silver)
- Eco
(No different lines if i remember correctly)

FRA:
- First, HON - but I assume they come righ from the FCT anyway?
- Business, Senator, Star Gold
- Eco
(One line)

Does anyone know why it is so different? Especially for Star Silver / FTL?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by PetzLUX
M = Minderzahler ( = someone paying less --> eco)
I have wondered for many years what "M" designated -- now I know! ^
Originally Posted by moeve
LH flight are not the same kind of zoo like US flights.
(cough, cough) that all depends. Sometimes it is an absolute CF!
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: BalticMiles, LH SEN, FlyingBlue
At MIA I have experienced:
1. First, HON
2. Business, Senator, Star Gold, FTL (only sometimes Star Silver too)
3. Eco.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by kevinsac
(cough, cough) that all depends. Sometimes it is an absolute CF!

So true! Once i flew MUC-FRA on an A346 — boarding made me feel i was in China.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:17 pm

JFK - gate 9 (JFK-MUC):
They had priority boarding for First and Business but then separate entry into the plane for First Class class only. Business & economy class passengers had to use the other Jetway.

Is that typical? That made it so crowded. Interestingly, the F on that flight was not full, probably 4 passengers only. So in short, they had one Jetway dedicated for 4 passengers & another one for remaining 200+ passengers.

This is where they could have allowed HONs, SEN or even FTLs traveling in Business to use the First Class jetway.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 3:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH will try to introduce boarding by groups this month at select stations.

Originally Posted by rcs
Lufthansa beginnt ab 07.11.2019 damit, das Boarding in Gruppen aufteilen.

Zukünftig sieht das Prozedere zum Boarding wie folgt aus:
  1. Pre-Boarding (Kinder, Familien, Fluggäste mit eingeschränkter Mobilität)
  2. Gruppe 1 (Priority - HON/SEN/*G/VIP) + Gruppe 2 (Priority - Business Class und Eco Flex)
  3. Gruppe 3 (Economy mit Fensterplatz + Begleitpersonen)
  4. Gruppe 4 (Economy mit Mittelsitz + Begleitpersonen)
  5. Gruppe 5 (Economy mit Gangplatz + Begleitpersonen)

Das Rollout der neuen Einsteigeprozedur erfolgt schrittweise; die erste Welle am 07.11.2019 sind folgende Airports:
Deutschland - BRE, CGN, FMO, GWT, HDF, PAD, RLG
Europa - MS, ATH, BHX, BLQ, BUD, CDG, DUB, EDI, FLR, GOT, HEL, LCA, LCY, LYS, MAN, MLA, MRS, MXP, NCE, OPO, OTP, PMI, PRG, RIX, SBZ, SOF, TLS, WAW, WRO, ZAG

Im ersten Schritt behält man für Gruppen 1 + 2 das gemeinsame "Priority Boarding" wie bisher; eine spätere Trennung wird noch geprüft.
Heidelberg Barbie likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
Practical.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
No mention of FTL in that list above. As Flying Blue silver I always got priority boarding.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.