Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hosed by Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by aster
It looks like it was all on one ticket, or else the OP should still be able to use the other one (if he has 2 separate tickets then I hope he didn't discard the second one!).
But it much looks like it, doesn't it?

The above is reasonably hard to do on a single ticket. Single reservation yes .. but single ticket?
..Do the rules change if the leg you miss is a return leg back home? A buddy of mine missed his flight back to the US and he just called up and said "Sorry, forgot my flight was earlier today, thought it was tomorrow". They just asked him if he lives in the US and upon his confirmation rebooked him on the following flight.
No. But TATL fares often have provisions on no-shows (usually a monetary penalty).
Frankly - and I know this is a different situation altogether - I don't see how airlines are allowed to cancel the remainder of your ticket if you miss a single flight. Why should it bother them?
It's also in the provisions of many Asian carriers, such our SQ. It bothers them because you could construct cheaper itineraries if you could forfeit individual segments.
..You bought that seat - so you have the right to leave it frigging empty if that suits you. It doesn't cost them anything as you have already paid for it. Without you or your luggage on board, they have a lighter plane. And if they were overbooked then they really should be smiling...
Many people see it like this and wish the courts would rule more clearly on this issue,
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:33 am

I think the OP is a fake. 1 lifetime post speaking for itself. The 4 segment ticket at USD 800 also sounds unlikely. Moderator should close this thread.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:34 pm

Why not just read the Contract of Carriage. It is pretty clear.

Extension of Validity
3.2.3. If after having commenced your journey, you are prevented from travelling within the period of validity of the Ticket by reason of illness, we may extend the period of validity of your Ticket until the date when you become fit to travel or until our first flight after such date, from the point where the journey is resumed on which space is available in the class of service for which the fare has been paid. Such illness must be attested to by a medical certificate. When the flight coupons remaining in the Ticket involve one or more Stopovers, the validity of such Ticket may be extended for not more than three months from the date shown on such a certificate. In such circumstances, we will similarly extend the period of validity of Tickets of the other members of your immediate family accompanying you.

There is no need for travel insurance to cover this, nor is it required to ask for special favors. All that is required is to call them and ask to make the change under section 3.2.3. Note however the use of the word "may" so I think it would be advised (and a good idea in any event) to ask nicely.

It always amazes me how people are so willing to weigh in with an answer without bothering to check the COCs. The OP should have done likewise.

The first rule of entering into any agreement is to read what you are agreeing too. Buying an airline ticket is no different.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
THIS TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE AND CANNOT BE EXCHANGED. IF YOU MISS ANY LEG OF THIS ITINERARY FOR ANY REASON, INCLUDING ILLNESS, OR ACCIDENT, ALL SUBSEQUENT LEGS WILL BE CANCELLED AND YOU WILL RECEIVE NO REFUND. THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS. DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE?
Well, sure except that isn't the case.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:41 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
I think the OP is a fake. 1 lifetime post speaking for itself. The 4 segment ticket at USD 800 also sounds unlikely. Moderator should close this thread.
By no means I want to defend the OP, but could be that he has been reading FT for a while and only when he has been in "trouble"(again, I am not discussing here if he is right or not), he has decided to start posting.
I started also like this, although I think I was right and the airline(AF) wrong, but I regret it. In any case this is a thing of the past...
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:44 am

Programs: LH FTL, PC Gold, HH Gold
Frankly - and I know this is a different situation altogether - I don't see how airlines are allowed to cancel the remainder of your ticket if you miss a single flight....
They are not allowed to cancel the remaining legs, according to a recent courts ruling, IIRW. It also doesn't help to write it in their terms and conditions. The problem is: To enforce it you will have to go to court with them including all the time and hassle...
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Hamburger
They are not allowed to cancel the remaining legs, according to a recent courts ruling, IIRW. It also doesn't help to write it in their terms and conditions. The problem is: To enforce it you will have to go to court with them including all the time and hassle...
But they can still reprice the segments to make the practise cost prohibitive enough.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:43 am

Back to helping the OP, have you call LH and ask that they rebook you for a later date? I understand that when you no showed the subsequent legs were cancelled but that is an automatic process, not the deliberate act of a human being.

If you haven't already called you should. My guess is that they will accommodate you under the rule I quoted. Keep in mind that LH has no way of knowing why someone has no showed. You need to call to alert them so they can assist you. From the original post it doesn't appear that happened and I suspect this really is the root cause of the problem.

I'd also point out that the rule does not appear to require you to contact LH prior to the first flight you are going to miss in order to be eligible for help under this rule (at least it isn't in this part of the COCs). This makes sense since it is not unreasonable that a passenger might be so ill and traveling independently that doing so would be impossible (imagine a traffic accident for example). So again I'd suggest you contact LH and describe your situation.

The only case in which I can imagine that you are SOL is if you have already purchased a new ticket without first having had any contact with LH because then they wouldn't have had an opportunity to do exactly what you want them to ie book you on new flight.

If nothing else this should be a lesson learned. Read and understand your agreement with the airline(s) you are flying. Contact them if there is a problem. Even if they refuse to address the problem as required in their COCs (which is more common that it should be) you have given them the chance to do so and are in a strong position if you have to press for compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.