Wiki Posts
Search

The Miles and More Forum Biergarten Thread — Everybody is Welcome

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Thank you putting things into perspective. I have had the "pleasure" of visiting the Aspire Lounge 26 at AMS several times and never had the desire to go back. If the one at MAN is just slightly better, I will at least give it a try and check it out, partially out of "research interest" to find the worst lounge around.
I simply cannot wait for your feedback after your upcoming visit

While your there just keep telling yourself, next Stop FCT
MichielR likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by chris63

What was the response to the feedback ? I actually feel sorry that LH are paying for these awful excuses for lounges, unless they’re paying peanuts
There might have been peanuts but that’s pretty much it in terms of edibles in that lounge!

Dont remember if I got specific feed back, but obviously they heard all the complaints and will open the new *A lounge in a month.
chris63 and worldclubber like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MichielR

There might have been peanuts but that’s pretty much it in terms of edibles in that lounge!

Dont remember if I got specific feed back, but obviously they heard all the complaints and will open the new *A lounge in a month.
Yes, bereft of anything looking edible, I just wanted a mineral water & that just came from a cheap soda fountain

We need to pray for a *A lounge at MAN
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Yes, both of them are grim & best avoided, I think MAN has the edge over AMS because of the toilets being outside not to mention the disgusting state of them
My main gripe is that there's no printer in MAN's aspire. There again, although the BA lounge has one, the system is seldom up and running.

Although I can't find much to love about Aspire, I can usually find somewhere comfortable to sit. There are views of the apron. The crew there are mostly a cheerful and helpful lot. And the soup can be really good. Fellow guests can be a rowdy bunch though.

The truth is, if you have time to kill at MAN the Aspire lounge is (probably) a nicer place to be than the other cafes/restaurants/bars or public areas.

That's more a comment on the general awfulness of the MAN milieu than praise for Aspire
chris63, MichielR, N1003U and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
While your there just keep telling yourself, next Stop FCT
That‘s they only way to see it, I guess. Will certainly not fill up on cheap booze at the „Aspire“ lounge.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The truth is, if you have time to kill at MAN the Aspire lounge is (probably) a nicer place to be than the other cafes/restaurants/bars or public areas.

That's more a comment on the general awfulness of the MAN milieu than praise for Aspire
Now I am really curious what it‘s like. IIRC, I haven’t been to MAN since Business Air stopped flying their Saab 340s between MAN and ABZ. So it’s been quite a while ...
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber

Now I am really curious what it‘s like. IIRC, I haven’t been to MAN since Business Air stopped flying their Saab 340s between MAN and ABZ. So it’s been quite a while ...
The moving walkways probably even..... moved back in those days
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:09 am

The moving walkways probably even..... moved back in those days
Probably, but I cannot remember.

Just remember that i had to run through the airport several times, as I often came in late from ABZ and had to catch the CRJ to MUC. (it was a CRJ and not an Airbus back then)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
What would you do in my situation?

Two weeks vacation in August 2019 in the East Coast of the US&A, arriving in NYC, departing from IAD. I need to earn status miles, family is used to fly business.

Option A
Fly out on LH A359 MUC-EWR on Friday, come back two weeks later from IAD on LH A359 direct flight.
Cost: 2256€ in P return for me, 275k miles plus 1670€ in fantasy surcharges (~6700€ total)
Payback: 10400 status and ~ 12500 award miles for me.

Pro: direct flight, no hassle, EWR, kids happy with IFE, A359, burning miles (before May inflation/devaluation and child #1 turning 12 in December)
Con: no real miles, may be difficult to get to 100k status by end of the year

Option B
TAP out Friday afternoon arrive in JFK, return from IAD two weeks later only on Sunday, arriving on Monday evening. A339 (A330neo) with new recaro seat that will also come to LH in 2020+ and is supposedly so good that it earned LH 5* already.
Cost: ~6870€ total for the 4 of us (books in J)
Payback: ~17900 status and award miles each for all four of us (Wife and kids will get thus also get FTL till Feb 2022): ~71600 miles total

Pro: new A339, new business seat, nice portugese food, lots of miles and FTL status for family members
Con: a lot of extra expense, 3h flight to LIS, two extra vacation days before and after two week holiday, IFE not so stellar

Option C
SAS out Saturday morning via ARN to EWR, return two weeks later saturday evening from IAD. Nice SAS Vantage plus seat, scandi catering that appeals to nordic wife.
Cost: ~ 6420€ for all in Z
Payback: ~ 16000 status and award miles each for all four of us (Wife and kids will almost get close to FTL): ~64000 miles total

Pro: scandic service (happy wife, happy life), less out of pocket expense than B, times better than B, status miles for all
Con: spending cash instead of miles, IFE so so
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by oliver2002

Two weeks vacation in August 2019 in the East Coast of the US&A, arriving in NYC, departing from IAD. I need to earn status miles, family is used to fly business.

Option A
Fly out on LH A359 MUC-EWR on Friday, come back two weeks later from IAD on LH A359 direct flight.
Cost: 2256€ in P return for me, 275k miles plus 1670€ in fantasy surcharges (~6700€ total)
Payback: 10400 status and ~ 12500 award miles for me.

Pro: direct flight, no hassle, EWR, kids happy with IFE, A359, burning miles (before May inflation/devaluation and child #1 turning 12 in December)
Con: no real miles, may be difficult to get to 100k status by end of the year

Option B
TAP out Friday afternoon arrive in JFK, return from IAD two weeks later only on Sunday, arriving on Monday evening. A339 (A330neo) with new recaro seat that will also come to LH in 2020+ and is supposedly so good that it earned LH 5* already.
Cost: ~6870€ total for the 4 of us (books in J)
Payback: ~17900 status and award miles each for all four of us (Wife and kids will get thus also get FTL till Feb 2022): ~71600 miles total

Pro: new A339, new business seat, nice portugese food, lots of miles and FTL status for family members
Con: a lot of extra expense, 3h flight to LIS, two extra vacation days before and after two week holiday, IFE not so stellar

Option C
SAS out Saturday morning via ARN to EWR, return two weeks later saturday evening from IAD. Nice SAS Vantage plus seat, scandi catering that appeals to nordic wife.
Cost: ~ 6420€ for all in Z
Payback: ~ 16000 status and award miles each for all four of us (Wife and kids will almost get close to FTL): ~64000 miles total

Pro: scandic service (happy wife, happy life), less out of pocket expense than B, times better than B, status miles for all
Con: spending cash instead of miles, IFE so so
I would go for option 1. Direct flight. You earn miles (what use is FTL for the kids?) and the 4000 you save are easily spent in the USA. Or some of the 4000 is applied to a short D-fare status run later in the year if you need it.
malmostoso likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:59 am

Would also go for option A. Particularly if you will most likely renew SEN and kids are too young to travel by themselves to make use of the FTL.
malmostoso likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:28 am

Surely if you're short of miles to renew SEN you'll be able to spend those 4000€ in a mileage run! I also think the direct option is better. Plus, could it be booked on a 016 ticket to avoid the spending based miles?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Award miles by spend would be better in this case... The 2356€ total is 1800€ fare +412YQ +taxes, so should earn 13272 award miles (plus about 5400 award miles via the US M&M CC). Distance based (if booked on 016 stock) should be about 10400 miles.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:17 am

Final result:
Went for the LH option. 210k miles plus 1610€ fantasy charge for the family, 1800€ plus 541€ for my P ticket. Miles should be 4025+4246+25% exec for status and 2212*6 for award.
worldclubber and malmostoso like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:46 am

Final result:
Went for the LH option. 210k miles plus 1610€ fantasy charge for the family, 1800€ plus 541€ for my P ticket. Miles should be 4025+4246+25% exec for status and 2212*6 for award.
Good choice!

Have a great family trip! Best time of the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.