The Miles and More Forum Biergarten Thread — Everybody is Welcome

Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:27 am

At least MAN & BHX are actually airports (or resemblances of, given the current state-of-affair) whereas EMA is literally a crowded shed with a few shops and direct access to the apron, there's no comparison whatsoever with the other two to be fair. DSA, in the middle of nowhere, is possibly the nicest regional airport I've visited so far in the UK (though I haven't been to LBA, NCL, BRS and a few others).

G
chris63 and MichielR like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by MichielR
In reality, as a visitor it is difficult to distinguish between the various, older airports or terminals across the UK and Ireland. To me, MAN reminds me of BHX, the old part of DUB, T3 at LHR (or T1, RIP) and, yes, EMA.

Walking through the dungeon before security at MAN reminds me of Flight Connections at LHR or arrivals at DUB T1.

All the enhancements have have been made to the duty free amusement parks, where you have to navigate the shopping aisles to find your way to the plane. Same in newer build such as BRS, T5 as in the oldies such as MAN and EMA. And introduced in BRU, CPH and a host of other shopping malls with aircraft parking....
Sums it up perfectly, it’s all falling apart but who cares about the Pax who are actually in the airport for a FLIGHT, the shopping experience is fabulous....
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:43 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Walking through the dungeon before security at MAN reminds me of Flight Connections at LHR or arrivals at DUB T1.
Do you mean the area before security for priority passengers and those who paid to jump the queue on the same floor where check-in counters (other than Jet2) are located? If so, you haven't seen the real dungeon where most passengers are sent. I had to go through the dungeon last summer when I was flying Icelandair in Y but ironically it was much quicker than the so-called fast lanes upstairs.

All the enhancements have have been made to the duty free amusement parks, where you have to navigate the shopping aisles to find your way to the plane.
It used to be possible to take a shortcut by turning immediately right after entering the duty-free shopping area but they've rearranged the cosmetics display shelves and passengers have to navigate through the shops now.

The first phase of the T2 extension (multi-storey car park and one pier) is supposed to open on 1 April but the whole thing is not going to be completed until 2024. I expect much of T1 will have to last 5 more years!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by chris63

I imagine things being somewhat better in SJJ ? I really struggle to find a worse airport than MAN for so many reasons.
People who don't fly US domestic routes are spared the 'joys' of New York La Guardia or the Gate 35X area of Washington National.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Yes, that trek up & down the stairs & under the bowels of T1 boarding gates is beyond ridiculous in 2019, I feel so sorry for small children & the elderly who are subjected to that, especially the latter too proud to ask for assistance
yes. that bit is really, really awful: an embarrassment. Manchester is a great city - a shame it should be served by a dysfunctional dump like MAN.

I understand it's one of the more expensive UK airports for passengers and airlines.

I note the council (part owners) are taking a leisurely six years (plus) to renovate Manchester's town hall.
I imagine the councillors will make sure it's a tad more comfortable, more functional, than their dismal airport.
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Do you mean the area before security for priority passengers and those who paid to jump the queue on the same floor where check-in counters (other than Jet2) are located? If so, you haven't seen the real dungeon where most passengers are sent. I had to go through the dungeon last summer when I was flying Icelandair in Y but ironically it was much quicker than the so-called fast lanes upstairs.

It used to be possible to take a shortcut by turning immediately right after entering the duty-free shopping area but they've rearranged the cosmetics display shelves and passengers have to navigate through the shops now.

The first phase of the T2 extension (multi-storey car park and one pier) is supposed to open on 1 April but the whole thing is not going to be completed until 2024. I expect much of T1 will have to last 5 more years!
I just remember the priority lane brining me to some kind of 1950s bomb shelter with long walks before getting to security. That plus delayed flights and somehow being held in a gate area that reminded me of the old BD T1 setup at LHr was enough for me to have moved my MAN meeting to London this week. Of course this required my colleagues to travel from MAN to London by train through the huge blizzard that hit the UK - to return to the previous topic of this thread.

And even IKEA which seems to be the blueprint for duty free mazes provides a shortcut to get to their lounge. Like T5 finally has for F pax.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:26 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

I just remember the priority lane brining me to some kind of 1950s bomb shelter with long walks before getting to security.
I don't have experience of 1950s bomb shelters but it appears you missed the genuine MAN T1 dungeon security experience.

Instead of spending money on basic infrastructure in the existing terminals MAN is building a "private terminal", which sounds like a downmarket version of FCT.
MichielR likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Yes, that’s their plan, hard to see how T1 stays standing for 5 more years, you already have to dodge multiple buckets collecting water from holes in the roof when it rains & the jetbridges look set to drop off...

General consensus here seems to be it’s a dump & total embarrassment to the great City of Manchester.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver

Yes, that’s their plan, hard to see how T1 stays standing for 5 more years, you already have to dodge multiple buckets collecting water from holes in the roof when it rains & the jetbridges look set to drop off...
You're reminding me of how the terminal replacement for VPS got pushed back a couple of years in the early 00s and the airport authority had the attitude that as long as the toilets were clean (and yes, this is important and appreciated), they didn't really have to do anything else to the scheduled-for-demolition buildings. You know, you can actually make a moderately fun game of pretending the mold and mildew stains on acoustic ceiling tiles are Rorschach test patterns and trying to figure out what the shapes really mean.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmouse
You're reminding me of how the terminal replacement for VPS got pushed back a couple of years in the early 00s and the airport authority had the attitude that as long as the toilets were clean (and yes, this is important and appreciated), they didn't really have to do anything else to the scheduled-for-demolition buildings. You know, you can actually make a moderately fun game of pretending the mold and mildew stains on acoustic ceiling tiles are Rorschach test patterns and trying to figure out what the shapes really mean.
Yes, that’s sounds about it ....

But we are talking about the UK’s largest airport outside London & it’s Third largest City, with the U.K. ( allegedly ) about to BREXIT & our Government professing we are open for Business to the World .... arriving at T1 MAN first impression & first impressions are important .... The U.K. is shutting down & we all lost the will to live
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:03 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)

LCY has unique problems based on it’s location, IMHO it’s run way better than MAN
I couldn’t agree more. Yet I think we’re seeing a tendency that winter and UK airports somehow just don’t go to well together
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nick Art

I couldn’t agree more. Yet I think we’re seeing a tendency that winter and UK airports somehow just don’t go to well together
Winter & UK, airports, roads & rail have never gone well together
worldclubber likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmouse
To save those Googling fingers .... VPS is Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport, in Florida. Known to many as Eglin Air Force Base, which is where it is. The code comes from the neighbouring city of Valparaiso.
NewbieRunner and N1003U like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nick Art

I guess someone's done a cost benefit analysis involving expected number of snow days, the costs of acquiring, housing, maintaining and operating snow shifting equipment and the costs of shutting the airport down.

In short it's easier and short-term cheaper to close down maybe a couple of half days each year than do a Munich.

Perhaps the same bean counters were involved in the selection of walkway "people movers" for MAN. None of the six between T1 and the station were working last week. Neither was the short escalator into the terminal building.
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:15 am

Yes, that’s their plan, hard to see how T1 stays standing for 5 more years, you already have to dodge multiple buckets collecting water from holes in the roof when it rains...
The Dutch do it much better (@ AMS).
Attached Images  
chris63, MichielR, N1003U and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.