The Miles and More Forum Biergarten Thread — Everybody is Welcome

Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Like you say, just a few cm of snow is enough to cause [...] generalised transport meltdowns (let's not even talk about the trains..
Come on, the Dutch can do this without any snow at all, as was today
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I suppose they might have started shovelling and scraping before the airport opened.

But that would have taken a measure of organisation. And we're talking Manchester. Guess they were taken by surprise again.
It was probably the 4 hour health & safety briefing before they were able to start clearing the Snow, what done it
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by chris63
It was probably the 4 hour health & safety briefing before they were able to start clearing the Snow, what done it
They could probably do with some help from MUC. Clearing the runways of snow there is an impressive and efficiently choreographed operation.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber
They could probably do with some help from MUC. Clearing the runways of snow there is an impressive and efficiently choreographed operation.
Yes, it was quite amazing watching that on my last Two trips via MUC

But then MUC is better in every way than MAN
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
But then MUC is better in every way than MAN
Have to go to MAN twice in the next few weeks. Now no longer looking forward to it so much ...
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Have to go to MAN twice in the next few weeks. Now no longer looking forward to it so much ...
Manchester is a nice & much improved City.

MAN the airport is a disgrace, especially T1 where you are headed, nice sparkly Duty free shops the rest of the terminal may fall down before it’s planned removal.... I’m ashamed the signal it sends to pax arriving..... U.K’s Third biggest City.... & outside of London the largest airport......
worldclubber likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:55 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Well, LCY in winter is always very fun as well: They only have two deicing machines, one of which is always broken and the second of which breaks down when they try to use it. It‘s the same story with the snow plows...
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:17 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
MAN the airport is a disgrace, especially T1 where you are headed, nice sparkly Duty free shops the rest of the terminal may fall down before it’s planned removal.... I’m ashamed the signal it sends to pax arriving..... U.K’s Third biggest City.... & outside of London the largest airport......
T3 is quite abysmal as well but I agree the gate area and the routes to/from the 2x-3x gates are pathetic. Narrow steep stairs to get to some gates and down stairs and up again on the way to passport control which is sometimes blocked if another flight is boarding.
chris63 and worldclubber like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:39 am

MAN used to be so much better back in the days (it used to be my 'local' back in my Lancashire days), it was inevitable [given the decrepit infrastructure] that the significant increase in terms of flights/passengers would have lead to the current [bleak] state-of-play. A bit like BHX (talking about decrepit infrastructure) which fortunately, though, is still running okay, but I guess that the smaller volume of passengers plus the 'separate area' for most low-cost carriers will have helped slightly. At BHX, unless you 'pop-in' during the busy summer/charter months, you still have the rather pleasant feeling of departing from the 'cosiness' of your local/next-door airport

G
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
T3 is quite abysmal as well but I agree the gate area and the routes to/from the 2x-3x gates are pathetic. Narrow steep stairs to get to some gates and down stairs and up again on the way to passport control which is sometimes blocked if another flight is boarding.
Yes, that trek up & down the stairs & under the bowels of T1 boarding gates is beyond ridiculous in 2019, I feel so sorry for small children & the elderly who are subjected to that, especially the latter too proud to ask for assistance
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
MAN used to be so much better back in the days (it used to be my 'local' back in my Lancashire days), it was inevitable [given the decrepit infrastructure] that the significant increase in terms of flights/passengers would have lead to the current [bleak] state-of-play. A bit like BHX (talking about decrepit infrastructure) which fortunately, though, is still running okay, but I guess that the smaller volume of passengers plus the 'separate area' for most low-cost carriers will have helped slightly. At BHX, unless you 'pop-in' during the busy summer/charter months, you still have the rather pleasant feeling of departing from the 'cosiness' of your local/next-door airport

G
I imagine things being somewhat better in SJJ ? I really struggle to find a worse airport than MAN for so many reasons.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nick Art
Well, LCY in winter is always very fun as well: They only have two deicing machines, one of which is always broken and the second of which breaks down when they try to use it. It‘s the same story with the snow plows...
LCY has unique problems based on it’s location, IMHO it’s run way better than MAN
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:07 am

I imagine things being somewhat better in SJJ ?
Yes indeed, but to be fair there are only a handful of flights, especially in winter, much easier to handle security/passports/snow and you name it (even though we do get proper winters down here, meaning freezing temperatures on a daily basis, lots of snow, ice and even fog adding to misery!). Out of curiosity, is it not easier for you to get to Brummieland International (rather than Manchester) from Stoke? Oh, and I know a much worse airport than MAN, but I guess you're too premium for that Chris - that's East Mids!

G
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Yes indeed, but to be fair there are only a handful of flights, especially in winter, much easier to handle security/passports/snow and you name it (even though we do get proper winters down here, meaning freezing temperatures on a daily basis, lots of snow, ice and even fog adding to misery!). Out of curiosity, is it not easier for you to get to Brummieland International (rather than Manchester) from Stoke? Oh, and I know a much worse airport than MAN, but I guess you're too premium for that Chris - that's East Mids!

G
DBV is a palace for planes compared to MAN, so I imagined things to be just fine in SJJ ^

Unfortunatey, whilst my U.K. base is equidistant between MAN & BHX the UK Motorway system South is a disaster on the same scale as MAN.

Nope, not tried EMA & thanks for the heads up ^
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
In reality, as a visitor it is difficult to distinguish between the various, older airports or terminals across the UK and Ireland. To me, MAN reminds me of BHX, the old part of DUB, T3 at LHR (or T1, RIP) and, yes, EMA.

Walking through the dungeon before security at MAN reminds me of Flight Connections at LHR or arrivals at DUB T1.

All the enhancements have have been made to the duty free amusement parks, where you have to navigate the shopping aisles to find your way to the plane. Same in newer build such as BRS, T5 as in the oldies such as MAN and EMA. And introduced in BRU, CPH and a host of other shopping malls with aircraft parking....
chris63 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.