Wiki Posts
Search

The Miles and More Forum Biergarten Thread — Everybody is Welcome

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Doing it in one day is part of the challenge!

I may have found the best and cheapest option so far:

Not only is there an hourly flight between FRA and MUC that would allow to shift another hour to FRA (i.e 1:45 in MUC and 3:50 in FRA) (or vice versa) but it also includes a flight on a B767 AND a Dash-8! Nothing says HON-Circle and FIrst Class and *G as much as a flight in Eurobusiness on a Dash-8! And it's even the cheapest option so far! (Y is available at 608.-) XD

(Okay, I promise I will stop posting route suggestions now, I actually do have studies to do).
Better but still prefer a 2 day event & it looks reasonable until one considers the recent P fare AMS-FRA-EZE return fare cost much the same
The Wolf likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:03 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
(Okay, I promise I will stop posting route suggestions now, I actually do have studies to do).
Sorry but none of your itinerary includes MAN or BHX. This is a tour for masochists with an odd FCL or two thrown in to recover from the ordeal.

Some years ago when LH/M&M changed the rules so you could no longer earn HON miles by flying in Y, some soon-to-be-ex-HONs were planning a farewell trip to visit all FCLs to spend as long as possible in each. I’m not sure if a trip actually took place.

BTW if you are SEN/HON flying on *A airlines to European destinations from MAN or BHX and want to avoid the Aspire Lounge, you can fly SAS as they no longer allow *G to access a contract lounge. Or SN which uses the Escape lounge (at least in MAN).
The Wolf likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by chris63

Better but still prefer a 2 day event & it looks reasonable until one considers the recent P fare AMS-FRA-EZE return fare cost much the same
And,which in my case, I upgraded with evouchers for +1 and myself
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:59 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Sorry but none of your itinerary includes MAN or BHX. This is a tour for masochists with an odd FCL or two thrown in to recover from the ordeal.

Some years ago when LH/M&M changed the rules so you could no longer earn HON miles by flying in Y, some soon-to-be-ex-HONs were planning a farewell trip to visit all FCLs to spend as long as possible in each. I’m not sure if a trip actually took place.

BTW if you are SEN/HON flying on *A airlines to European destinations from MAN or BHX and want to avoid the Aspire Lounge, you can fly SAS as they no longer allow *G to access a contract lounge. Or SN which uses the Escape lounge (at least in MAN).
Doing a HON/FCL run doesn‘t mean you can‘t also do a seperate contract lounge crawl!
I, however, would rather do the first and will leave the latter to you fanatic lovers of contract lounges!
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Really ? In a Hilton

The stuff here in BHX Aspire, wouldn’t be accepted in a junk shop
The MAN Airport Hilton is a total disgrace. Breakfast was decent, but everything else is a joke. I’m not sure a renovation will do, probably will have to tear it down and build a new one. Shocking that it carries the Hilton name and asks for Hilton prices.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:14 pm

Now that’s a great idea & of course the best would be MUC- FRA - ZRH & easily doable in a day
Sounds like a plan. ^

Focus on beer, schnitzel and Louise at MUC, whisky, beef tartar and view at ZRH, and ??? at FRA. Maybe do GVA instead of FRA ...
Nick Art likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:17 pm

Noooo! The whole thing started while we were discussing MAN. We can’t possibly skip it.

While we are at it how about a visit to the Aspire Lounge in AMS before it’s too late? I believe they brew beer not too far from there as well.

In any case the Aspire lounges are run by Swissport. Someone else in this group should be ashamed.
Since I have been to both the MAN and AMS lounges recently, and since both are crappy and not exactly beer paradises, I would be happy to skip both.

I.e. we have two trips now: Pub crawl in England and tour of nice lounges on the continent.
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Because you asked so nicely here is a suggestion that will certainly appeal to you!

You all arrive individually in the morning at MAN to take the following flights:

The sane within you will be pleased and will say goodbye when spirits are the highest in the FCL and head home, the rest however, will continue to party on:

Once in BHX you will take this bus to MAN:

Where you will stay in the glorious hilton airport hotel, only to be able to experience MAN a second time the next morning when you will take the 6AM flights to either MUC/BRU or your usual hiding spaces all around Europe.

If anybody does that journey and lives through MAN twice to tell the tale I without any bodily or psychological damage I will be impressed.
B
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by worldclubber

Sounds like a plan. ^

Focus on beer, schnitzel and Louise at MUC, whisky, beef tartar and view at ZRH, and ??? at FRA. Maybe do GVA instead of FRA ...
My FCL run will certainly appeal to you!

I only need some HON to guest me

Spoiler

Last edited by Nick Art; Feb 14, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:28 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by worldclubber
The MAN Airport Hilton is a total disgrace. Breakfast was decent, but everything else is a joke. I’m not sure a renovation will do, probably will have to tear it down and build a new one. Shocking that it carries the Hilton name and asks for Hilton prices.
It was going to be rebranded as a Hilton Garden Inn IIRC but it never happened. In any case some HGIs are much nicer than the MAN Hilton. The Hilton in the city is nice and the Doubletree by Piccadilly Station is also ok.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It's all good, but I am not sure I can do much before June as the busy period of the year is just beginning for me. Maybe extending the trip over 2 days, so it's not such a rush, could be an idea?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:02 am

Because you asked so nicely here is a suggestion that will certainly appeal to you!

You all arrive individually in the morning at MAN to take the following flights:

The sane within you will be pleased and will say goodbye when spirits are the highest in the FCL and head home, the rest however, will continue to party on:

Once in BHX you will take this bus to MAN:

Where you will stay in the glorious hilton airport hotel, only to be able to experience MAN a second time the next morning when you will take the 6AM flights to either MUC/BRU or your usual hiding spaces all around Europe.

If anybody does that journey and lives through MAN twice to tell the tale I without any bodily or psychological damage I will be impressed.
B
I can see two problems immediately. If you fly out of MAN on SN you may miss the Aspire Lounge since I believe SN use the Escape Lounge which is windowless and worse than the Aspire Lounge in my experience.

Also if you travel from BHX to MAN by bus you will miss the Aspire Lounge and its vintage furniture in BHX.

However, if you fly out of MAN for the second time on LH or LX you will be able to experience the Aspire Lounge though at that time of the morning it’s unlikely you will find any LCC crowd.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Wolf
And,which in my case, I upgraded with evouchers for +1 and myself
Me too

Best use of Evouchers ever !!!
The Wolf likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doing a HON/FCL run doesn‘t mean you can‘t also do a seperate contract lounge crawl!
I, however, would rather do the first and will leave the latter to you fanatic lovers of contract lounges!
Sensible IMO...

I think I have had dangerous levels of exposure to Aspire lounges recently, after leaving Aspire BHX yesterday afternoon, I arrived at MUC Satellite F lounge to be greeted with a smile by the lovely staff.

Two extreme ends of a spectrum........ I had just left Hell & arrived in Heaven
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:10 am

It was going to be rebranded as a Hilton Garden Inn IIRC but it never happened. In any case some HGIs are much nicer than the MAN Hilton. The Hilton in the city is nice and the Doubletree by Piccadilly Station is also ok.
The airport „Hilton“ (still cannot believe it) would also be an embarrassment to any other Hilton group chain.

The plan of action could be derived from airline crash response teams a few decades ago; first go out and paint over anything that says „Hilton“ , so that people don’t associate it with the brand anymore. Than demolish it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.