The Miles and More Forum Biergarten Thread — Everybody is Welcome

Reply

Old Feb 2, 19, 12:52 am
  #1711  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, Marriott, HHonors etc.
Posts: 1,997
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
The Dutch do it much better (@ AMS).
Hilarious!
worldclubber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 1:03 am
  #1712  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Gold
Posts: 26,417
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
.... arriving at T1 MAN first impression & first impressions are important ....
One of the first things you saw on arrival at T1 MAN used to be a big sign boasting how much the airport had spent improving its toilets. Not sure how it was supposed to impress any visitors.
chris63 and worldclubber like this.
NewbieRunner is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 1:18 am
  #1713  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 2,366
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
The Dutch do it much better (@ AMS).
I suspect their roof is in significantly better condition, those plants don’t need / like much water

MAN could try Watercress
N1003U likes this.
chris63 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 1:21 am
  #1714  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 2,366
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
One of the first things you saw on arrival at T1 MAN used to be a big sign boasting how much the airport had spent improving its toilets. Not sure how it was supposed to impress any visitors.
No wonder that sign is long gone, given the state of the toilets opposite the ‘Aspire lounge ‘ in T1
chris63 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 1:29 am
  #1715  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 2,366
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Perhaps the same bean counters were involved in the selection of walkway "people movers" for MAN. None of the six between T1 and the station were working last week. Neither was the short escalator into the terminal building.
The “moving walkways’’ between gates 20 & 28 haven’t moved anything for ages but they’re so old probably no longer able to get the parts....
chris63 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 1:47 am
  #1716  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, Marriott, HHonors etc.
Posts: 1,997
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
I suspect their roof is in significantly better condition, those plants don’t need / like much water

MAN could try Watercress
Or rice as a last resort.
worldclubber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 1:51 am
  #1717  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 2,366
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post
Or rice as a last resort.
Not a chance, WAY too cold in MAN

I hope none of this is putting you off your impending presence in MAN ? but we are managing expectations
chris63 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 1:56 am
  #1718  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: AMS/RTM
Posts: 2,202
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post
Or rice as a last resort.
Fun Fact: rice doesn't need that much water to grow, but flooding the fields keeps bugs and weeds away.

So arguably flooding MAN could help with the same type of pests
chris63 and worldclubber like this.
malmostoso is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 1:59 am
  #1719  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, Marriott, HHonors etc.
Posts: 1,997
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
Not a chance, WAY too cold in MAN

I hope none of this is putting you off your impending presence in MAN ? but we are managing expectations
Thank you for protecting me from too much disappointment.

I have been to MAN before, but not for quite a while. Will probably look familiar, as it does not seem to change much.
worldclubber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 2:01 am
  #1720  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, Marriott, HHonors etc.
Posts: 1,997
Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
Fun Fact: rice doesn't need that much water to grow, but flooding the fields keeps bugs and weeds away.

So arguably flooding MAN could help with the same type of pests
They could at least flood the areas where the now defunct moving walkways are and grow something there.

Coffee should work, as it is known for its huge water footprint
worldclubber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 2:04 am
  #1721  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 2,366
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post
Thank you for protecting me from too much disappointment.

I have been to MAN before, but not for quite a while. Will probably look familiar, as it does not seem to change much.
Just wanted to make it clear, your very welcome, despite the fact MAN is not at all welcoming
worldclubber likes this.
chris63 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 2:06 am
  #1722  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, Marriott, HHonors etc.
Posts: 1,997
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
Just wanted to make it clear, your very welcome, despite the fact MAN is not at all welcoming
That's good to hear!
chris63 likes this.
worldclubber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 2:09 am
  #1723  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 2,366
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post
They could at least flood the areas where the now defunct moving walkways are and grow something there.

Coffee should work, as it is known for its huge water footprint
Great idea, put it in the suggestion box on your way through, if they haven’t been removed because of written abuse

Coffee ain’t going to work though, you don’t imagine the heating is working ?
chris63 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 7:23 am
  #1724  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: VPS
Programs: IHG Spire
Posts: 3,599
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
To save those Googling fingers .... VPS is Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport, in Florida. Known to many as Eglin Air Force Base, which is where it is. The code comes from the neighbouring city of Valparaiso.
Also known as Okaloosa Regional Airport, Northwest Florida Regional Airport, Fort Walton Beach Airport and a few other names due to a county aviation board that keeps changing the name of the airport for marketing purposes. I think I am at six or seven different airport names on my boarding passes over the years. But because it is a small and unimportant airport, the airlines don’t update their ticket systems in a timely manner and the current airport name tends not to reflect the airport name actually on your ticket. So to prevent confusion, not only do the locals just call it VPS but the airport itself has run ‘Fly VPS’ tv and radio advertising campaigns.

(The new terminal did eventually get built and remains as mold and mildew- free as you can get in Florida)
beachmouse is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 10:00 am
  #1725  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Posts: 11,427
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post


Also known as Okaloosa Regional Airport, Northwest Florida Regional Airport, Fort Walton Beach Airport and a few other names due to a county aviation board that keeps changing the name of the airport for marketing purposes. I think I am at six or seven different airport names on my boarding passes over the years. But because it is a small and unimportant airport, the airlines don’t update their ticket systems in a timely manner and the current airport name tends not to reflect the airport name actually on your ticket. So to prevent confusion, not only do the locals just call it VPS but the airport itself has run ‘Fly VPS’ tv and radio advertising campaigns.

I had an interest nearby that kept me visiting when I was a lot younger It seemed then to be known as Elgin Air Force Base, though i remember being told that had never been its official name - even though it is a pretty accurate description of where it is...
IAN-UK is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread