LH Z fares refundable or not?

Old Jul 2, 10, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, AF Silver, BA Bronze
LH Z fares refundable or not?

The LH website says that Z fares are non-refundable. Book excatly the same fare (Z) at an almost identical price on ebookers or expedia and the fare conditions say cancellation fee is GBP 150. Is the LH website wrong? Have any of you tried to get a Z fare refunded? Thanks, ps
Old Jul 2, 10, 3:44 am

It depends of the "surname" of the Z fare. The Fare Code is usually something like ZXXXXX, and the "XXXXX" it's the important thing.

It's also important where you buy them as well. So check the surname.
Old Jul 2, 10, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Z is not Z ... Depending on the fare rules and POS there are cancellation and rebooking penalties. Let us know the full fare code and POS then we can take a look.
Old Jul 3, 10, 6:55 am
htb

Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
The information on the website is completely useless, as they almost always say that the ticket is not refundable, can only be changed against a fee... However, that doesn't mean it's incorrect this time...

HTB.

Last edited by htb; Jul 3, 10 at 1:12 pm Reason: Changed "correct" to "incorrect" as originally intended.
Old Jul 3, 10, 2:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by planestupid View Post
The LH website says that Z fares are non-refundable. Book excatly the same fare (Z) at an almost identical price on ebookers or expedia and the fare conditions say cancellation fee is GBP 150. Is the LH website wrong? Have any of you tried to get a Z fare refunded? Thanks, ps
Hi.
Its normallay 200 to cancel.
Have done it twice and have once been charged 200 and once nothing. Both lh z class
Old Jul 3, 10, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by bleubanana View Post
Hi.
Have done it twice and have once been charged 200 and once nothing. Both lh z class
sorry but this is very dangerous advice! it depends on what Z fare it is, some of them are not refundable at all, some have a 200 EUR penalty, some a 300 EUR penalty, etc.

same goes for rebooking, some free, some not at all, some against a fee... you always need to check, with LH or a TA. the fare info display on LH.com is most certainly useless..
Old Jul 4, 10, 4:56 am
htb

Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by bleubanana View Post
Hi.
A bit of background that can't be repeated often enough.

"Z" is a booking class. That says nothing about the ability to cancel or rebook. For each booking class a number of fares with specific fare rules and different prices (among other things) are available.

I've seen non-changeable "Y" fares in the past. If you want to know about the fare rules you need to call LH. It's easy for them to look into your booking and tell you. It's more difficult if you haven't booked your ticket yet, because then they can only second guess which fares the online booking engine picked...

It would be so much easier if they just displayed the fare rules when you make your booking, but they claim this would confuse customers, and they run into the problem that the fare rules are in English...

HTB.
Old Jul 5, 10, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by htb View Post
It would be so much easier if they just displayed the fare rules when you make your booking, but they claim this would confuse customers, and they run into the problem that the fare rules are in English...
I wholeheartedly agree with your statement. They should at least provide an option for those who are capable to read the rules to access them.
Old Jul 5, 10, 7:53 am

Programs: DL Skymiles - Platinum
As far as I know, Z in Europe IS NOT refundable! That is why I use my US credit card and book WAW to US on Expedia, where it IS refundable.
Old Jul 5, 10, 10:33 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As everyone has said, there are refundable Z fares and non-refundable Z fares. I have seen (and purchased) Z fares over the years that were:

• Non-refundable, changes for a fee.
  • Non-refundable, free changes.
  • Refundable for a fee, changes for a fee.
  • Refundable without penalty, free changes (100% flexible).

It all depends on the exact fare booked-- the first letter (booking code) does not help very much in determinig fare rules except that F/J/Y fares are almost always 100% flexible. One should still check the exact fare rules to be sure because there are some carry restrictions.
Old Jul 6, 10, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, AF Silver, BA Bronze
Thanks for your replies, guys. The problem is that I can't compare like for like between the LH and Opodo websites. LH says "ZRCGB" but Opodo says just "Z" for a fare that is identical in price (give or take a few pence). But I gathered that the LH website fare rule information is useless as it errs on the side of caution and often says "fare is non-refundable" even though it is, right?
Old Jul 6, 10, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Thanks for your replies, guys. The problem is that I can't compare like for like between the LH and Opodo websites. LH says "ZRCGB" but Opodo says just "Z" for a fare that is identical in price (give or take a few pence). But I gathered that the LH website fare rule information is useless as it errs on the side of caution and often says "fare is non-refundable" even though it is, right?
piece your itin together using ITA software. there will be a link to the fare rules once you pick an itin.

ITA
Old Jul 7, 10, 1:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

LH says "ZRCGB" but Opodo says just "Z" for a fare that is identical in price (give or take a few pence).
If you look at the exact rules in Opodo (they are included in the T&C link just above the box where you have to accept the Opodo T&C in the third booking step where you have to enter the CC details) you will get the rebooking penalties and the exact fare code. Opodo uses Amadeus just like LH.com.
Old Jul 7, 10, 5:13 pm

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
The Z-Fares ex ATH to the US (at least for me to ATL) are fully refundable and changes are free. But as stated before, each Z fare has its own rules.
Old Jul 7, 10, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
There are quite a few POS locations where Z fares can be cancelled or re-booked FOC. Some of them even permit FOC stopovers in Germany in-and outbound others at a minimal surcharge!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: