Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa to install an electronic access system in its lounges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:07 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Once a year I travel with my parents but I am not allowed to take them to the lounge.
Why? As a good son I would assume that you book your parents in F, so why shouldn't they have access?

Originally Posted by Tyrolean
Which HON has 7 kids? As a SEN you either get HON or get kids!!
Rambuster didn't say with how many FAs the HON would have those kids.

Originally Posted by swisstraveler1988
How is this going to work with Star Gold cards? Since the lounge entry agents don't accept simply XX*G written on the BP and need the physical card, is LH going to have an automated system linked to other carriers??
A very good question indeed. If I rock up with an Air India credit card and my TK issue boarding pass for an UA flight. And how about purchasing access to lounges?

Originally Posted by weero
It's not an intelligent system. It's just a technology base excuse for implementing capacity controls in the lounges. The first N+20 (with N the number of seats in the lounge in question) get in, the others get an "invalid card" error or the likes.
Oh dear, you might be on to something here...

Originally Posted by mr.pliner
So what happens if I need to use the toilet, and the guest I've brought with me will go for shower, let's say in MUC. I also have an urge once in a while to go and buy something in DutyFree shop, while the guest sits in the lounge.
If the status holder swipes the card to exit the lounge and the guest doesn't depart within 120 seconds LH Security will automatically be alerted. And both will be denied boarding.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:31 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by swisstraveler1988
How is this going to work with Star Gold cards? Since the lounge entry agents don't accept simply XX*G written on the BP and need the physical card, is LH going to have an automated system linked to other carriers??
Well, your status is coded into the cardnumber, which together with name, expiry and some more data is written on the magnetic strip on the back. The card reader is not working like a credit card terminal and therefore not getting authorization of any sorts with a card issuer via a dial up or IP network. It just reads out what is written on the magnetic strip, matches it with the scan of the bp, does a look up in the LH data repository, dumping your access date there and that is that.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
If the status holder swipes the card to exit the lounge and the guest doesn't depart within 120 seconds LH Security will automatically be alerted. And both will be denied boarding.
I thought hand cuffing, apron hand over to police and getting charged the difference between his status miles and what is needed to make it to SEN in Euros for obtaining access to SEN perks surreptitiously is the standard procedure, for which LDs have now again more time, with this access system in place.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by olm022
Lufthansa to install an electronic access system in its lounges
2010/06/01

In the future, you will be able to enter the exclusive Lufthansa lounges very easily with the help of an electronic access system.

It is an innovation that brings with it many advantages: you can enjoy more peace and quiet as well as greater comfort, as the reception staff will now be able to spend more time looking after you. It will also ensure, that only passengers entitled to use the lounge are permitted to enter.
Automatically better service

In order to enter the lounge, you will simply need to place your boarding pass and, where needed, your status card on a reading device. As the system reads the data, it automatically shows the Lufthansa staff the departure gate and boarding time so that they can let you know of any possible changes to your departing flight.

The electronic access system will be introduced in July 2010, in the Lufthansa Senator and Business Lounges at Frankfurt and Munich. It will then gradually be installed in all other Lufthansa lounges worldwide throughout the remainder of 2010.
I've seen other lounges that also have the electronic kiosk to enter (LY's King David Lounge in TLV,) but none as sophisticated as this one that have the staff let you know of changes to your flight. That's an excellent move.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I assume its probably something close to the system SAS uses in their lounges and fast tracks. The attendant scans your BP and it shows them a version of your boarding pass highlighting any changes.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Why? As a good son I would assume that you book your parents in F, so why shouldn't they have access?
Once a year I travel with my parents from Germany to Itlay. As there is no F available I book them in C. However, I do not have access to the FCT on these flights.

I wish LH would grant HONs a voucher ONCE a year to invite a second guest into the FCL/FCT. (dreaming mode)

I really don't understand, why wife and x number of kids is ok, but not parents ?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Once a year I travel with my parents from Germany to Itlay. As there is no F available I book them in C. However, I do not have access to the FCT on these flights.

I wish LH would grant HONs a voucher ONCE a year to invite a second guest into the FCL/FCT. (dreaming mode)

I really don't understand, why wife and x number of kids is ok, but not parents ?
Maybe your father pretends to be you? Then you and your mother can enter the FCT
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Maybe your father pretends to be you? Then you and your mother can enter the FCT
Nice one ! I never thought of that. There is however potentail for this to blow up in ones face ...
I'd rather have a legal way to be honest.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: LH HON

I like this idea. I would also like to extend this to a guest that happens to depart to a different location. So for example I arrived with a friend in Munich on Monday together on the same flight, but on Friday, I went home and he left for his home. They didn't wanna let us both into the FCL. And this would have been the 4th time this year I would have taken a guest into the lounge. The other 96 times I was traveling alone.

Funny side note here. Start showing only your HON card to the lady at the SEN lounge and tell her that you got kicked out of the FCL. That face expression is worth everything.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mh492
I like this idea. I would also like to extend this to a guest that happens to depart to a different location. So for example I arrived with a friend in Munich on Monday together on the same flight, but on Friday, I went home and he left for his home. They didn't wanna let us both into the FCL. And this would have been the 4th time this year I would have taken a guest into the lounge. The other 96 times I was traveling alone.

Funny side note here. Start showing only your HON card to the lady at the SEN lounge and tell her that you got kicked out of the FCL. That face expression is worth everything.
I was quite sure the same destination rule was abolished with the exception of the FCT- the other person only needs to be flying STAR.
I was flying to VCE, a colleague was flying to VRN, and there was no problem.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 3:08 am
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Or, your mother is your spouse and your father is the guest.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I was quite sure the same destination rule was abolished with the exception of the FCT- the other person only needs to be flying STAR.
I was flying to VCE, a colleague was flying to VRN, and there was no problem.
For the SEN lounges yes, but for the FCL it is still present. You either have to arrive on exactly the same flight or leave on the same flight at that day.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:25 pm

Changes

And right now, did they already started with this, or when are they doing it.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 1:49 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The electronic access system will be introduced in July 2010, in the Lufthansa Senator and Business Lounges at Frankfurt and Munich.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by mh492

Oh well, same thing happened to me last weekend. Of course I didnt now anything about this "Guest has to go to same city" rule, because I mostly travel alone as well. Felt really stupid when the bouncer turned me away, and even more when the SEN Lounge access lady suggested I should go to the FCL, because its much nicer...

Always willing to learn, I checked the LH lounge access rules and it doesnt say anything about guests that have to have the same destination?

Did I miss anything?

"Inviting guests into the lounge

As a HON Circle Member and First Class passenger you may invite one companion into the lounge, as well as family members (spouse/partner, children under 18), provided that they are all flying with you.
[...]
Companions must produce a valid boarding pass for a same-day Lufthansa/Star Alliance flight and leave the lounge with the person who invited them in."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.