Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finished the HON LHPJ run.. an AMAZING experiece

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 4:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by mamb0
No seriously. For such an insane promotion, where they literally are giving away miles against cash and where the whole "oh you need to actually fly"-part is not much more then a mere fig leaf excuse to create fake traffic that would not have occured otherwise, in my believe they should be forced to make the transaction without any flights involved, too.

Do not get me wrong, I am happy for all of you who profited from this dumb and damaging promotion and I absolutely understand those of you who did it, because you obviously had a lot of fun doing it and got a sh*tload of cheap miles on top.

But this promo really goes on my nerves.

It is a devaluation of their loyalty program.

It created tons of fake traffic.

It actually damaged the PJ business and drove real clients away.

Yes rental spiked this month for LHPJ, so much that they had to turn away a lot of customers. Problem is, LHPJ seems to have served the mileage runner and not customers with a high potential of returning.

Our company was turned away again today with an unpersonalized standard letter telling our travel team that LHPJ is sold out for May because of their "anniversary celebrations" and we should come back again next month but "keep in mind, the travel conditions will be different then" - without explaining to us, what that should mean. I know it, it is a not so obvious reminder that starting with next month, they dont binge out miles.

Now here is the thing: Our travel agent went to netjets customer for a trip to cannes earlier this month after they were turned down by LHPJ for the first time. Now guess with whom they organized this vip-trip after they were sent away by LHPJ again? Right. Again with netjets. Do you believe they will call LHPJ a third time to try drop business on them? I know the answer.

I am deeply shocked, that obviously no one in the vast world of LH is responsible for checking the sanity of promotions before they are put into the market space. It took us guys a milisecond to realize "Hell yeah, that is the best deal ever for status and hon circle miles" and we did not even need sophisticated hardware like a pocket calculator to get this.

I hope it is a good lecture for them to understand what kind of power networked customers can have over them.
What a rant! Great training in populism. Applying for a job in politics?

"But this promo really goes on my nerves." Why's that? You don't need PJs, you don't book them and even your friends can still go vip-jet-setting.

"It is a devaluation of their loyalty program." Why's that? It's not smart handing out the top card for free (although some may argue that 10.000 EUR is not exactely a free lunch) but there is no immediate impact on the program and the benefits.

"It created tons of fake traffic." Is that a new phenomenon in the airline industry? Comparing my fuel consumption on the Private Jet (66 liters ZRH-MUC) to my First Class flight (1600 liters SIN-MUC), I think this was the most environmental friendly Mileage Run that LH has ever offered.

"It actually damaged the PJ business and drove real clients away." Based on what? I was flying on a rented plane while the "real" LH PJ was standing on the Tarmac in Zurich. Call them and they get you a jet - just no promotion benefits anymore.

LH indeed underestimated the power of the internet and how it brings people together. What a fantastic lesson for all of us to take more advantage of that tool.
Old May 27, 2010, 4:46 am

Programs: LH M
Originally Posted by InfiniteCycle
Pretty vulgar really. DB does this route in first class for about 160 euros advance booking.

In my opinion (and it is that, my opinion) anyone booking a private jet and flying pointlessly around on return trips to a nearby city is nothing short of an environmental vandal. I fly A LOT more than the liberal in me thinks is acceptable, but at least I do something when I get to where I am going that I couldn't do on my doorstep.
^
Originally Posted by mamb0
No seriously. For such an insane promotion, where they literally are giving away miles against cash and where the whole "oh you need to actually fly"-part is not much more then a mere fig leaf excuse to create fake traffic that would not have occured otherwise, in my believe they should be forced to make the transaction without any flights involved, too.

Do not get me wrong, I am happy for all of you who profited from this dumb and damaging promotion and I absolutely understand those of you who did it, because you obviously had a lot of fun doing it and got a sh*tload of cheap miles on top.

But this promo really goes on my nerves.

It is a devaluation of their loyalty program.

It created tons of fake traffic.

It actually damaged the PJ business and drove real clients away.

Yes rental spiked this month for LHPJ, so much that they had to turn away a lot of customers. Problem is, LHPJ seems to have served the mileage runner and not customers with a high potential of returning.

Our company was turned away again today with an unpersonalized standard letter telling our travel team that LHPJ is sold out for May because of their "anniversary celebrations" and we should come back again next month but "keep in mind, the travel conditions will be different then" - without explaining to us, what that should mean. I know it, it is a not so obvious reminder that starting with next month, they dont binge out miles.

Now here is the thing: Our travel agent went to netjets customer for a trip to
cannes earlier this month after they were turned down by LHPJ for the first time. Now guess with whom they organized this vip-trip after they were sent away by LHPJ again? Right. Again with netjets. Do you believe they will call LHPJ a third time to try drop business on them? I know the answer.

I am deeply shocked, that obviously no one in the vast world of LH is responsible for checking the sanity of promotions before they are put into the market space. It took us guys a milisecond to realize "Hell yeah, that is the best deal ever for status and hon circle miles" and we did not even need
sophisticated hardware like a pocket calculator to get this.

I hope it is a good lecture for them to understand what kind of power networked customers can have over them.
very well said! ^
Old May 27, 2010, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by SMK77
so you're saying we should take someone who pulls LH into pieces on every possible occasion but then jumps thru hoops to get a shiny black card more serious than a rant from someone who already has a shiny black card for quiet some time and voices (legitimate IMHO) concern!? certainly an interesting view on things...
Old May 27, 2010, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InfiniteCycle
mamb0 - you put it far better than I ever could have.
+1
Old May 27, 2010, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

I cannot understand the tone of this thread... the promotion was just that.. a promotion.. it was a win-win for all concerned... that is the spirit of FT IMHO.. I agree with SMK77 ....
Old May 27, 2010, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by RTW4
I cannot understand the tone of this thread... the promotion was just that.. a promotion.. it was a win-win for all concerned... that is the spirit of FT IMHO.. I agree with SMK77 ....
Win-Win for all ? I think some of the first generation HONs might disagree?
I also don't think LH won anything here either.
They maximised shortterm LHPJ revenue at the longterm expense of their FFP. Meanwhile the few existing PJ customers were turned away because all flights were fully booked with once-in-a-lifetime PJ status runners.
It's safe to assume that most of them will be flushed out of their status by 02/2013 again. (Unless of course LH makes this an annual promotion ! )

Last edited by Rambuster; May 27, 2010 at 3:33 pm
Old May 27, 2010, 2:19 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Can we please have separate threads where "real" HONs who want to rant about Cessna HONs can do so to their heart's content and where those of us who want to report and read about PJ run experience can do so without fear of being accused as the scum of the earth?
Old May 27, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Can we please have separate threads where "real" HONs who want to rant about Cessna HONs can do so to their heart's content and where those of us who want to report and read about PJ run experience can do so without fear of being accused as the scum of the earth?
Sorry if you understood my post to be in this spirit. It was not my intention to come off as "the real hon" or give you the impression, you were the scum of earth.
As I wrote, I understand why you and everybody else did it, and I am really happy for you that you had a great time and earned a lot of miles.
Again, I in NO WAY wanted to intend that people participating in that promotion are insane. The promotion itself is.

As I wrote, networked consumers for the win, Flyertalk at its best!
Old May 27, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
lhpj teams

hi guys,

i have organised a couple of flights.

one private jet flew a couple of european entrepreneuers, which have already made their exit.

these guys have never flown on their own dime on private jets, as even they are rich, and have fare more money than some on FT ever might earn in their lifetime, they still dont overspend.

anyway, i asked them how they liked the flight. everybody answered me, that they had a once in a lifetime expirience. they were scheduled for paris, but as the weather has not been good, they went to nice instead. (actually pilot were cool, no problem to get slots)

they spend a couple of hours flying to monaco on the heli service, went to a nice restaurant and flew back.

now, these guys totally love it. everybody told me, that they will use private jets in the future. if they go party for example, putting 6 guys in a private jet, paying 9000euro within europe, is not that expensive if you compare that to a business class flight which is 700euro in europe per person.

so i agree, that this promotion might have driven away some customers, but it still created a lot buzz, and there might be 5% which will continue to use the lhpj.

dp
Old May 27, 2010, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTW4
The point is it will probably not be a win-win for anyone:
1. The customers who are flying to go from SEN>HON will probably be quite disappointed- what you receive in the end is:
a) 4 e vouchers more than SEN- so one round trip upgrade C>F
b) Yet some more Miles&More miles
c) Access to the FCL/FCT for all flights
That is it. There is no promise anywhere that HON get op-ups more than SEN. Op-ups seem to be done on a different basis, although HON certainly does not hurt (neither does SEN).
People are spending in excess of 7K eur for some vouchers and FCL/FCT- the FCL/FCT are indeed very nice, however 7K eur would be a very big stretch- after all if you are flying every week, is it not better just to get where you are going faster?

2. Most of the posters have referred to the LHPJ as a "once in a lifetime" experience- I think this is great, this is the spirit of FT, way to go. Now- if you were running a promotion- would you want once in a lifetime experience customers while referring your returning clients to a competitor (Netjets)?

Last post on the subject from me- somehow, this whole thing has turned me off flyertalk- I have learned so much here, and met some very nice people, but really- if it turns into a quest for the "ultimate card" that includes taking weekends on a private jet to get- what?- black leather baggage tags? Hmmm....
Old May 27, 2010, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
The point is it will probably not be a win-win for anyone:
1. The customers who are flying to go from SEN>HON will probably be quite disappointed- what you receive in the end is:
a) 4 e vouchers more than SEN- so one round trip upgrade C>F
b) Yet some more Miles&More miles
c) Access to the FCL/FCT for all flights
That is it. There is no promise anywhere that HON get op-ups more than SEN. Op-ups seem to be done on a different basis, although HON certainly does not hurt (neither does SEN).
People are spending in excess of 7K eur for some vouchers and FCL/FCT- the FCL/FCT are indeed very nice, however 7K eur would be a very big stretch- after all if you are flying every week, is it not better just to get where you are going faster?

2. Most of the posters have referred to the LHPJ as a "once in a lifetime" experience- I think this is great, this is the spirit of FT, way to go. Now- if you were running a promotion- would you want once in a lifetime experience customers while referring your returning clients to a competitor (Netjets)?

Last post on the subject from me- somehow, this whole thing has turned me off flyertalk- I have learned so much here, and met some very nice people, but really- if it turns into a quest for the "ultimate card" that includes taking weekends on a private jet to get- what?- black leather baggage tags? Hmmm....
Don't forget the (up to) 420k miles generated. These miles make the entire experience basically cost neutral depending on how you value the miles - black card thrown in free of charge.

I don't think anyone is blaming the people who went for HON runs with this promo. Bascially it makes business sense (at least for FTers).
LH is the one where the win-win doesn't apply.

In hindsight I could slap myself that I didn't ask the Wolf about this promo when I had the chance last week.
Old May 27, 2010, 6:35 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Rambuster
In hindsight I could slap myself that I didn't ask the Wolf about this promo when I had the chance last week.
During your Wolfshouse visit you should have asked about Take II of this promo in October.
Old May 27, 2010, 11:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
The Wolf was angry at himself that he didn't fly to make it HON before he is stepping aside for his successor...
Old May 28, 2010, 12:57 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Thanks for the compliment. Being in Usenet since 1989 pays off, no interest to get tangled up in politics though, I use my FUD skills to survive the corporate jungle.

"But this promo really goes on my nerves." Why's that? You don't need PJs, you don't book them and even your friends can still go vip-jet-setting.
Well I think I gave a lengthy explanation why. And on the contrary I do need PJs from time to time, not for my personal enjoyment, but for my job. And the promotion goes on my nerves as shareholder of Lufthansa and someone who needed a LHPJ earlier this month for business reasons and was turned away.

"It is a devaluation of their loyalty program." Why's that? It's not smart handing out the top card for free (although some may argue that 10.000 EUR is not exactly a free lunch) but there is no immediate impact on the program and the benefits.
It is like inflation. The amount of award miles in circulation spikes as they were grossed out at an ridiculous low price. Bad economics. This promo will also have an affect on the award inventory.

"It created tons of fake traffic." Is that a new phenomenon in the airline industry? Comparing my fuel consumption on the Private Jet (66 liters ZRH-MUC) to my First Class flight (1600 liters SIN-MUC), I think this was the most environmental friendly Mileage Run that LH has ever offered.
If you do a mileage run you jump on existing traffic that also would have occurred without you choosing to go. Here you chartered a plane just for the run. There is a difference. I can understand, why people could argue against that and believe to be on the moral high ground.

"It actually damaged the PJ business and drove real clients away." Based on what? I was flying on a rented plane while the "real" LH PJ was standing on the Tarmac in Zurich. Call them and they get you a jet - just no promotion benefits anymore.
Well we tried 2 times to get accommodated in May and were turned away by an impersonal standard letter (didn't I write that?). Great customer treatment for an elite product. Willing to give you 15K Euro and all you get is a text block.

LH indeed underestimated the power of the internet and how it brings people together. What a fantastic lesson for all of us to take more advantage of that tool.
FT FTW
Old May 28, 2010, 1:02 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
(Unless of course LH makes this an annual promotion ! )
Once every two years will be fine!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.