Old Mar 8, 2013, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Basics about the evoucher:

Number of eVouchers needed per segment:
- Upgrade a shorthaul segment = 1 eVoucher
- Upgrade a longhaul segment (Longhaul= LH400-799)
- From Economy Class (other than K, L, T) to Business Class = 2 eVouchers
- From Economy Class K, L, T to Business Class = 3 eVouchers
- From Economy Class (other than K, L, T) to Premium Economy Class = 1 eVoucher
- From Economy Class K, L, T to Premium Economy Class = 2 eVouchers
- From Premium Economy G, E to Business Class = 1 eVoucher
- From Premium Economy N to Business Class = 2 eVouchers
- From Business Class to First Class = 2 eVouchers (although the website says 3 eVouchers, it will be corrected in due course)

Upgrade awards may be booked online with LH, OS, LX, SN, LO and Discover, or you can call to upgrade.
Alternatively, you can book at the check-in counter. Not all airlines offer immediate upgrades at the airport.
Evouchers can be used on any ticketed PNR, even if the flight operates after the date of expiry of the evoucher.
Evouchers can be redeemed with all Star Alliance partners - depending on the destination, airline, travel class and booking class.
For a list of award regions go to https://www.miles-and-more.com/row/e...formation.html and scroll down to select Your worldwide flight destinations with Miles & More.

How long do eVouchers remain valid?
- All eVouchers are valid for 24 months.
- none of your eVouchers will expire until 31.03.2024. This also applies to eVouchers that were re-credited after the cancellation of a flight.

With an eVoucher, you travel one class higher [link to general eVoucher information]
Print Wikipost

Miles & More eVoucher upgrade Questions [merged Q&A]

Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's 1 eVoucher for all M&M airlines on European flights, any RBD.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:06 am

Does M&M publish the specific rules for these vouchers?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:24 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by NYC1
Does M&M publish the specific rules for these vouchers?
Yes, see here.

Note the mistake that still has not been corrected about requiring 3 vouchers for C to F upgrade.
chris63 and worldclubber like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:29 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Concerto
But you can use these vouchers only on LH Group flights, right? Is there a list of the booking classes eligible for upgrade? I think some of them require 2 vouchers, which I don't have.
All Star Alliance. One voucher is enough for a flight within a region. See the Wiki for more information.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:48 am

Programs: LH SEN, UA PremSilver
Originally Posted by day13
Since then no confirmation for 8 WL flights. Looks like LH is waiting till the vouchers expiring on the 31.03.2024
So far two failed attempts to get vouchers cleared this year, each time requested more than a month in advance. Long waiting game only to have the request go nowhere. Seems like LH is just trying to run out the clock on vouchers. What a scam.
chris63, worldclubber and day13 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:50 am

Programs: LH Sen****, Hertz PC, HHonors Diamond, IHG Pt
WL for O-class not clearing? or what else?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:17 am

Programs: M&M HON***
Originally Posted by Fennario
So far two failed attempts to get vouchers cleared this year, each time requested more than a month in advance. Long waiting game only to have the request go nowhere. Seems like LH is just trying to run out the clock on vouchers. What a scam.
I hate to day this but I believe LH’a approach does make sense from a pure profit maximization logic. Their forecasting algorithms have become quite sophisticated and accurate and I have the impression that their restrictive approach on upgrades/award flights has been paying out. Of course, that leaves out the question of the financial impact that the resulting customer dissatisfaction may have on financial performance in the long run - that’s a bet that LHG management is currently taking and time will tell who is right.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:37 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by gru_muc
I hate to day this but I believe LH’a approach does make sense from a pure profit maximization logic. Their forecasting algorithms have become quite sophisticated and accurate and I have the impression that their restrictive approach on upgrades/award flights has been paying out. Of course, that leaves out the question of the financial impact that the resulting customer dissatisfaction may have on financial performance in the long run - that’s a bet that LHG management is currently taking and time will tell who is right.
The long run is increasingly ignored by most companies, and ruining the reputation of a once highly regarded airline is no exception. To me, the non-availability of awards and upgrades has made miles and eVouchers almost useless, and has thus severely harmed my loyalty to LH. Upgraded and "free" flights in F were part of the equation before the pandemic, partially justifying the expense of paid F tickets. Using eVouchers has become such a pain and what is the value of miles I can only use on routes and dates nobody, including me, wants?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:50 am

Programs: Miles&More, Miles&Smiles, ALL, HHonors
In August 2023 I used 4 vouchers to upgrade 2 flights (same booking, upgrade confirmed in August), travel march 2024.
2 vouchers valid in the basic period until March 2024 (received in February 2022, Covid status extension - in accordance with the rules, 24 months + the end of the quarter)
2 vouchers valid until December 2024
One of the flights was last minute cancelled (Lufthansa strike) no possibility to change to another first class flight (Lufthansa claimed that they do not change upgraded flights, they only return vouchers).
Returned vouchers valid March 2024, According to M&M it is not possible to extend vouchers. Even if returned vouchers are after expiry date, they would be lost. Lufthansa does not want to take responsibility for the upgraded flights, M&M is not interested in the fact that the vouchers were at Lufthansa's disposal and were returned just before expiry date. I think they have one goal: as many vouchers as possible should disappear.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:03 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
If the eVouchers are still meant to be a tool fostering loyalty, they have to be usable for cases other than a half-empty mid-morning FRA-MUC flight for an upgrade from Y to 20 minutes of Tasting Heimat and terrible sparkling plonk.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by gru_muc
I have to say I think not anticipating customer experience is a bit of a mistake on their part. I've been reading about people's eVoucher experiences, and no longer feel motivated to stretch from 2000 QP to 2500 QP in a given year (or potentially even to SEN status - not experienced it yet) given all the stress that using eVouchers entails.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
If the eVouchers are still meant to be a tool fostering loyalty, they have to be usable for cases other than a half-empty mid-morning FRA-MUC flight for an upgrade from Y to 20 minutes of Tasting Heimat and terrible sparkling plonk.
I was given a Tasting Heimat croissant for breakfast on ZRH-FRA on Sunday. I'm not sure which region of Germany it was supposed to evoke, but it made me determined to book three intercontinental flights immediately!
pdeut likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:34 am

Programs: M&M Senator
Originally Posted by Pedroo
In August 2023 I used 4 vouchers to upgrade 2 flights (same booking, upgrade confirmed in August), travel march 2024.
2 vouchers valid in the basic period until March 2024 (received in February 2022, Covid status extension - in accordance with the rules, 24 months + the end of the quarter)
2 vouchers valid until December 2024
One of the flights was last minute cancelled (Lufthansa strike) no possibility to change to another first class flight (Lufthansa claimed that they do not change upgraded flights, they only return vouchers).
Returned vouchers valid March 2024, According to M&M it is not possible to extend vouchers. Even if returned vouchers are after expiry date, they would be lost. Lufthansa does not want to take responsibility for the upgraded flights, M&M is not interested in the fact that the vouchers were at Lufthansa's disposal and were returned just before expiry date. I think they have one goal: as many vouchers as possible should disappear.
Thank you for reiterating what I have been stating since the strikes started. I too find myself in a position where I had 6 vouchers expiring March 31. I was able to confirm one leg (2 vouchers) outbound. while the return is waitlisted - trip in May-June. I will add that I selected the return flight based on the fact that at the time of booking, the F class cabin was empty, not one ticket sold.

Once the strikes/labor actions started, I contacted both LH and M&M to ask if the voucher validity would be extended. Both said no, while M&M added insult to injury by stating that I needed to ensure I used the vouchers ASAP.

Clearly, if strikes continue, leisure travellers will modify their plans, possibly delaying their travel. Others, who have not yet booked their travel, both leisure and business, will also modify their plans. LH will want to protect the fare-paying passengers and will cancel those who have upgrades. Since I could travel on LX, I asked LH is they could proactively rebook me on LX. Their response was a calculation of the additional cost to me for the changes.

I really don't see what they want to achieve with this sort of procedure except to alienate passengers, including those who fly TATL 4 times a year.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:49 am

Programs: LH SEN, UA PremSilver
Originally Posted by Red BP
WL for O-class not clearing? or what else?
Two failed attempts just to get I. This was for a family member who got stuck in premium economy both times.
pdeut likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:27 am

Programs: AF/KLM Club2000 Ultimate / M&M HON Circle / ALL Diamond / Hertz President Circle
Same situation here

Booked a flight MEX - FRA at the end of May in J for my wife & I
On a waiting list to be upgraded in F (so far 6 available seats in F)

Emailed this morning M&M as 3 evouchers are expiring at the end of this month

Here is their feedback... We have received your feedback.

We have gladly checked your request and found that the upgrade to First Class on your flight from Mexico to Frankfurt is still on the waiting list. Seats for mileage upgrades are subject to a quota. If this quota is exhausted, participants are initially placed on the waiting list. Our system then checks daily whether the waiting list seat can be confirmed.

It is not possible for us to confirm upgrades manually. Therefore, if your route from Mexico to Frankfurt is not confirmed before the expiry date of your eVouchers, your eVouchers will expire at the end of their validity. We ask for your understanding in this matter.

We wish you a pleasant week.
Being HON, is it worth contacting Lufthansa F customer service ? might that help ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.