Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic ash cloud impacts LH flight operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
A Zepplin is over MUC each day since friday: http://www.zeppelinflug.de/fluege/fluege.htm
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by oliver2002
A Zepplin is over MUC each day since friday: http://www.zeppelinflug.de/fluege/fluege.htm
from now on, I travel in style - using the Zeppelin on NUE-FRA-IAH
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
Originally Posted by Monsieur S.
Tried to rebook my LH Z fare to LX, but was denied because this fare wasn't available although the seat was... I understand some rules have to be followed, but would have thought between LH and LX some measure of flexibility would have been possible in these circumstances. Just trying to get back home as soon as possible if and when flying resumes.
As far as I understand it, Swiss requires that you book in exactly the same booking class (not cabin class) - which is customer unfriendly and probabbly against the law
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: Amanjunkie
+++ 15.35 Uhr +++ Lufthansa holt 15.000 Passagiere nach Deutschland. 50 Langstrecken-Jets starten in den nächsteen Stunden in Nord- und Südamerika, Afrika und Asien, sagte Lufthansa-Sprecher Andreas Bartels der Nachrichtenagentur dpa. Die Flugzeuge sollen dann am Dienstagmorgen in Frankfurt, München und Düsseldorf landen.

Lufthansa takes 15,000 passengers to Germany. 50 long-haul jets start in the next few hours in North and South America, Africa and Asia, "said Lufthansa spokesman Andreas Bartels of the news agency dpa. The aircraft will then land on Tuesday morning in Frankfurt, Munich and Dusseldorf.

--

taken from the latest newsticker
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I hope they take some of my stranded cargo from HKG to FRA too !
We have lots of tonnage sitting there.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, HH Gold
Mr Walther just said on a German news channel that they will start operating longhauls to Asia today at 6pm.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
I am sure they will. But just if you have booked LH Cargo Flash (their super expensive express service) I assume that whatever flight goes will be packed with that stuff and not general cargo.

So now that German airports still have plenty of capacity because these 50 flights are not due to come in yet, why can't they release at the same time another 50 longhoul planes out of the HUBs with mostly foreigners who want to return back to their country? Should be "step 2"

Also, I really hope that authorities will be smart and make exemptions when it comes to "night flying" Everything else would be ridiculous.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
So now that German airports still have plenty of capacity because these 50 flights are not due to come in yet, why can't they release at the same time another 50 longhoul planes out of the HUBs with mostly foreigners who want to return back to their country? Should be "step 2"
just a guess but probably: because the airplanes are somewhere else
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by daumueller
just a guess but probably: because the airplanes are somewhere else
There are lots of B744 and A340 in FRA.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:15 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry for Rule 261:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulat...#Applicability

Note under the Cancellation section that an exception to the requirement to provide (among other items) accommodations is made when "the cancellation was caused by extraordinary circumstances that could not have been avoided by any reasonable measure". I would be surprised if some type of force majeure/Act of God exception did not exist in every rule of every country.

As frustrating as this whole episode is for everyone, a clear-eyed view suggests that we can't expect the airlines to just start paying for hotels, etc. for everyone until it is over.
Well, the Wikipedia article is wrong. The Regulation says (Article 5, paragraph 3):
An operating air carrier shall not be obliged to pay
compensation in accordance with Article 7, if it can prove that
the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances
which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable
measures had been taken.
Hence they don't have to pay the compensation (600EUR within Europe) but still have the Duty of Care subject to Article 9.

Question is if this is fair to the Airlines given the magnitude of the problem... this essentially costs them tons on top of the lack of income.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by rofra
There are lots of B744 and A340 in FRA.
another point might be, if you send them out "now" without any relation to the schedule, it will take even longer again to get all that mess back to normal once airspace re-opens

or, they simply didn't get approval for that...

but all that, pure speculation...
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
Mr Walther just said on a German news channel that they will start operating longhauls to Asia today at 6pm.
He just forgot to mention whereto... I can't find any details on LH's or FRA's homepage...
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by larsll
Well, the Wikipedia article is wrong.
No, the Wikipedia article is correct; it says exactly the same as the regulation and you. Only the interpretation of Mountain Trader was incorrect.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by alfahund
He just forgot to mention whereto... I can't find any details on LH's or FRA's homepage...
He actually named some destinations but I don't know them anymore
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
He actually named some destinations but I don't know them anymore
Did he mention BLR by the way? Should I run to the airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.