Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic ash cloud impacts LH flight operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:39 am

It is just sad to see how LH handles this situation.

There website is not working correctly, they have zeroed out their flights for tomorrow (so one does not know if one gets a seat if the situation allows), their call centers are to busy (they should know better after all these pilot strikes etc.), SEN hotline is also not available, and I did not even receive an official Email or SMS about my cancelled F tickets today.

What will happen? Will LH have to rebook on other carriers even if booking rules do not allow? Do they have to provide accomodation? Will they have to allow different routings?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:43 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by attorney28
Do you guys think that until April 20 in the morning, flights will be back to normal?
Looking at jetstream forecasts, I think not. The jetstream is expected to change favourably around 21 April and will allow South-Westerly winds to blow away the ash from the UK, Ireland and France, but it might not be enough to help Germany.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:44 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by tcswede
Michelle,
does LH have any responsibility towards the pax that are stranded ?

In HKG I was told bluntly NO despite they said that they can only accomodate me again on the 19th ?

(we have gone a few rounds since - but that is where the DM left me initially...)

Cheers

Thomas
Force majeure with all the consequences...
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:04 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I was just joking.
Sure! Who would do such a trip, voluntarily?

Driving straight to Germany is about 10-8h depending where you are headed and how much respect you have for french speed traps.
Well, before driving for 8-10 hrs I would indeed opt for the train if available because you can at least get some work done, sleep or just relax. Mamb0 aboviously decided for the latter and stayed in Cannes
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:06 am

Programs: LH, UA, SQ
Originally Posted by attorney28
Do you guys think that until April 20 in the morning, flights will be back to normal?

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Looking at jetstream forecasts, I think not. The jetstream is expected to change favourably around 21 April and will allow South-Westerly winds to blow away the ash from the UK, Ireland and France, but it might not be enough to help Germany.
Thanks for the forecasts there. I have flights from North America to Asia booked with LHR connection. And yesterday, as an alternative, I booked with FRA connection. And now, I am so anxious whether the flights will operate on April 20 and 21. Don't want to miss a chance to visit FCL in Pier B.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by tcswede
Michelle,
does LH have any responsibility towards the pax that are stranded ?

In HKG I was told bluntly NO despite they said that they can only accomodate me again on the 19th ?

(we have gone a few rounds since - but that is where the DM left me initially...)

Cheers

Thomas
You probably know the relevant EU Regulation; they have to provide you re-routing (difficult though given that most airports are closed and all other flights to airports further South are probably full), accommodation and food.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Diamond Seats
Thanks for the forecasts there. I have flights from North America to Asia booked with LHR connection. And yesterday, as an alternative, I booked with FRA connection. And now, I am so anxious whether the flights will operate on April 20 and 21. Don't want to miss a chance to visit FCL in Pier B.
To be on the safe side, I'd rather book a backup via the Pacific...
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:57 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
the great and helpful station manager of NCE just called me to say that they might have a shot at getting lh4155 out to MUC. Am dashing to the airport and trying my luck.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I'm not LHrelate, but just a few assumptions:

- the call centers are overwhelmed and not as prepared (as they were during the VC strike) because this came up at a very short notice.

- LH will probably do what they can, but legally this is force majeure, so they are not required to offer you compensation, accomodation, food etc

- the general assumption is that next week all will be OK.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: LH:SEN; HH:Diamond; SGP:Platinum; PC:Gold
Current status concerning the disruption caused by volcanic ash
Due to the closure of airports and the resultant cancelation of flights on domestic German, continental and intercontinental traffic severe disruption is expected to air travel.
The duration of airport closures is not yet known.

The affected Lufthansa flights will be closed in the CRS and PNRs will appear on your queues.

Up to date information concerning the affected airports and Lufthansa flights can be found at
www.lufthansa.com.

Lufthansa is continuously monitoring developments and is in close contact with air traffic and weather authorities in order to act at short notice.

1. Until further notice following rebooking rules apply:
• Passengers with a valid LH (220 ticket stock) booking between 16.04 and 19.04 may rebook free of charge to a later LH flight within the same booking class.
• Commencement of travel must be latest by 31.05.2010
• Travel must be completed within the validity of the ticket.
• Tickets must be annotated “ GOODWILL Volcano”
Please contact your Lufthansa Sales and Service team to have the ticket updated.

2. Refunds:
• Lufthansa Tickets for affected flights may be partially or fully refunded free of charge.
• You can process the refund via the BSP link without having to contact the Sales and Service team.
• Tickets must be annotated “ GOODWILL Volcano”
• Passengers holding other carrier ticket documents on affected Lufthansa flights should contact the ticket issuing carrier.

Passengers travelling within Germany can switch to a journey by rail with Deutsche Bahn, if their flights are cancelled. For this they must exchange their etix for a travel voucher at a LH counter. Flight tickets will later be refunded.

For further questions Lufthansa Service team will be happy to assist.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Norwegian joke going around:

Translation: put 30 billion Euro in the trashcan in front of the next Islandic Embassy and we will turn off our Vulcano.
PS: don't call the police
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
My sympathies to all of you stranded or impacted by this most unusual occurrence. Reading this thread reminded to contact my upcoming destination wedding couples to purchase additional trip and wedding insurance. Good luck to everyone.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:56 am

- LH will probably do what they can, but legally this is force majeure, so they are not required to offer you compensation, accomodation, food etc
extraordinary circumstances only release LH from the requirement to provide compensation; they are still required to provide accommodation and food as well as rerouting! (Rerouting being difficult obviously)
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Originally Posted by bartek
Current status concerning the disruption caused by volcanic ash
Does this mean that I can cancel - with full refund - a reservation I have for Sunday afternoon (AMS-FRA)? Or do I have to wait until it is officially canceled?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: LH, AB & CX Gold, SIXT Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, etc.
Hi everybody,

as it looks like the situation wil not vanish during the weekend, I'll be forced to exchange my ticket for a DB-voucher. Can anybody tell me if there is a quick checkin machine anywhere in downtown Frankfurt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.