Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic ash cloud impacts LH flight operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: LH HON; EK Plat; QR G; IC-RA; HH D; WoH Glob
Originally Posted by igor82j
Hello Michelle,

the call centers in St. Petersburg and Moscow informed me that it is not possible to rebook a ticket if it is not cancelled. If i understood your message right, this is not the way it is supposed to be...

Again, according to LH service center information, this is not true. Can i really rebook into ANY class? That would be good news...
The new rules are very clear. You can only rebook within the same compartment into a different booking class if your flight has been cancelled and if you are on the return.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:44 pm

The rebook policy seems to aim to prioritise getting people back home, as these people will be able to get any open seats in their cabin.

It seems sensible to me, and the basic message in these few days of uncertainty is that if your are already at home maybe you should re-evaluate if you need to travel.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
Originally Posted by LHrelate
Now the question is if this is not the policy that the call centers/stations are communicating to you? Please give me specifics if there is a particular offending location so I can contact the management there for clarity.
My experience is that US SEN line is that they want to do charge change fees as well as change of bucket. The latter I can live with, the former...

But you knew that already...
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by LHrelate
and how they are prioritized over those who did not yet start the journey.
Is the HON 24 hrs C not in effect ?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by igor82j
Hello Michelle,

the call centers in St. Petersburg and Moscow informed me that it is not possible to rebook a ticket if it is not cancelled. If i understood your message right, this is not the way it is supposed to be...

Again, according to LH service center information, this is not true. Can i really rebook into ANY class? That would be good news...
You are contradicting yourself with what you quoted IIUC, the policy is quite clear:

Flight cancelled = free rebooking (into same booking class if you have not started your journey yet, OR into same service class - i.e. Economy/Business/First regardless of booking class - if you are in the middle of your trip and trying to get home) OR refund.

Flight operating = free rebooking possible (within the same booking class only), but only if (1) flight is in the period 20-24 April AND ticket was booked before 19 April.

Michelle, please correct me if I am wrong!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by seat 1a
Is the HON 24 hrs C not in effect ?
I got rebooked 3 times with HON D class guarantee until I gave up and cancelled my trip.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: LH:SEN; HH:Diamond; SGP:Platinum; PC:Gold
Originally Posted by nomad1974
You are contradicting yourself with what you quoted IIUC, the policy is quite clear:

Flight cancelled = free rebooking (into same booking class if you have not started your journey yet, OR into same service class - i.e. Economy/Business/First regardless of booking class - if you are in the middle of your trip and trying to get home) OR refund.

Flight operating = free rebooking possible (within the same booking class only), but only if (1) flight is in the period 20-24 April AND ticket was booked before 19 April.

Michelle, please correct me if I am wrong!
Do you need to rebook BEFORE your first scheduled segment (that's operating and you're not going to take)? Or is there 3-week waiver still in place?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: LH:SEN; HH:Diamond; SGP:Platinum; PC:Gold
Originally Posted by 8420PR
The rebook policy seems to aim to prioritise getting people back home, as these people will be able to get any open seats in their cabin.

It seems sensible to me, and the basic message in these few days of uncertainty is that if your are already at home maybe you should re-evaluate if you need to travel.
True, but if your ticket is non-refundable, you're losing it.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by bartek
Do you need to rebook BEFORE your first scheduled segment (that's operating and you're not going to take)? Or is there 3-week waiver still in place?
That I am not sure; however, if you know for a fact that you cannot make the flight, I would say please go ahead and call and rebook - you are freeing up a valuable seat for another pax
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by bartek
True, but if your ticket is non-refundable, you're losing it.
Not strictly true - you can rebook to a later date or (if your flight has been cancelled) get a refund.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Waitlisting? IAD phone number?

Hi Michelle,

first of all THANK SO MUCH, you are doing an amazing job here on FT. In general, but in particular now when everyone is in crisis mode.

I have a question about waitlisting vs. rebooking - was rebooked into Yfor later this week, but also put on waitlist for tomorrow. This is waitlisted in S though, do call centres rebook into higher booking classes but not waitlist into higher classes? From reports here it looks like it's worth to stay on the waitlist for tomorrow and try to get a "hitch".

Another questions - is there a phone number for the IAD station (PM?) to check waitlist when the flight goes to airport control tomorrow morning? Genereic US line/German SEN line are not very useful then.

Thanks so much and good luck to everyone who is still stuck/on their way home,
G
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster
I got rebooked 3 times with HON D class guarantee until I gave up and cancelled my trip.
due to canceled flights or guarantee not working ?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:37 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Use online and mobile check-in

Not sure if this has been mentioned here (can't keep up!) but Lufthansa_DE on Twitter tells pax to use online and mobile check-in once again to avoid queues at the airport.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
LX update:
SWISS TICKET FLEXIBILTY:

2. Rebooking has to be done in the same RBD within same compartment.

If this means same booking class as original ticket, it can become a very tricky excercise to rebook. Heard of some folks who are in Pukhet on vacation on a lower booking class, were able to confirm BKK return flight some 2 weeks later for 2 May!!!

Not sure what that RBD actually stands for, Reservation Booking Designator or what

Edit: LH seems to honor rebookings into any booking class (I guess wthin the same cabin) if somebody already began its trip. Hope this will apply to LX as well. This allows you at least to complete your journey/get home.

Last edited by cesco.g; Apr 20, 2010 at 1:52 pm
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Good idea, maybe helps to get a better idea of how many ppl will actually fly on a particular flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.