Volcanic ash cloud impacts LH flight operations

Old Apr 15, 10, 3:58 pm

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Just heard it came from airliners.net, but no confirmation yet on official sites.

This message also surfaced:

+++ Aschewolke von Bremen nach Frankfurt +++

Der Vulkanausbruch in Island kann sich Wetterexperten zufolge bis zum Wochenende auf den Luftverkehr über Deutschland auswirken. Eine Aschewolke solle bis Donnerstagabend von Bremen nach Frankfurt ziehen und dort bis zu einen Tag bleiben, sagte der Meteorologe Andreas Beck von der Luftfahrtberatungszentrale Nord des Deutschen Wetterdienstes. „Die betroffenen Lufträume werden dann zur Sicherheit geschlossen“, erklärte Beck. „Die Feinstaub-Konzentrationen lassen sich noch nicht abschätzen

For non-German speakers: The ashcloud is said to move from Bremen to Frankfurt and reach there this night, it would stay there up to one day. Airports would be closed for obvious security reasons in such case.
Old Apr 15, 10, 4:04 pm
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: Official LH Real Person
Exclamation Please see first post for sked updates

Hi all,

Rather than posting flight schedule updates as I get them in different messages I will update the first post and timestamp it.

Update was just posted at 18:03ET. At that time LH had no official communication about FRA airport closure so I am unable to confirm that.

Could a mod make this a sticky thread maybe?

Best,
Michelle

Last edited by LHrelate; Apr 15, 10 at 4:05 pm Reason: FRA airport closure: no official confirmation from LH
Old Apr 15, 10, 4:08 pm

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Thanks Michelle, that'll be great. Hang in there.
Old Apr 15, 10, 4:39 pm

Programs: QR P, LH Proud to be a one Star Negative Blue, Hilton Gold, GHA Black, WOH something
hi michelle,

thanks for the info and keeping us updated.

when a friend called me to tell me what was going on i figured FT would be the place to get the most updated info! will check again tomorow morning, so far my flight back to europe seems good until they close FRA ...

synd
Old Apr 15, 10, 4:45 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Rambuster View Post
DUS now also closed:
"Am Flughafen Düsseldorf findet deshalb bis auf weiteres kein Flugverkehr statt. "
Yikes. I left DUS early afternoon for EWR. We were 20 minutes late leaving and 20 minutes early arriving. Had a southerly routing as you would expect.

I see the return is now cancelled this afternoon.

Looks like I just got out in time.
Old Apr 15, 10, 4:46 pm

Programs: price is a king
Hey,

my boss is scheduled to come back to MUC (from SFO) today - hope this works without problems.

It's getting more and more interesting - it has been just announced that air traffic has been suspended in Northern Poland, so Gdansk is out. They are considering doing the same in the south. let's see what happens next.

Yes, sticky would be helpful!

mf
Old Apr 15, 10, 8:21 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Hi Michelle,

Thanks for opening this thread and for the update. I was booked to fly MAN-DUS-ORD (bmi redemption) on Friday but when I found all flights to/from the UK would be suspended until at least 07:00am on Friday, I called bmi's ICC and managed to get rebooked to fly MAN-FRA-ORD on Saturday. Kudos to bmi's ICC since at the time my LH flghts on Friday had not been cancelled (they are now).

I do hope the flights will operate on Saturday but should it become necessary to rebook again what is the correct procedure given that it is a bmi award? Should I contact bmi again since they issued the ticket or should I contact LH?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 15, 10 at 8:44 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 15, 10, 10:39 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, AZ Gold, AAdvantage; IHG Gold
FRA is about to close as of now. Last few planes departing/arriving; after 7am everything shows "cancelled".
Old Apr 16, 10, 1:27 am

Programs: LH/BA/DL
Berlin (TXL and SXF) closed until Friday April 16, 12:00 p.m. at least. As are most German airports in the north of Germany.

My flight out this morning got cancelled as well, will have to stay here this weekend.

Communication form the airports in Berlin is really ridiculous. Their web page went donw from early last night. Now it only says airports closed and to call your airline, how bad is that?
Old Apr 16, 10, 1:33 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by NightFly View Post
FRA is about to close as of now. Last few planes departing/arriving; after 7am everything shows "cancelled".
MUC to be closed around 7pm according to a source there.

Hey, smokey you stupid plonker: WRONG OCEAN, WRONG ISLAND.. Pls turn back into Locke and sod off...
Old Apr 16, 10, 1:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA
LH 494 to Calgary was also cancelled today (not listed on page 1 yet).
LH SEN Hotline didn't really help.

Anybody an advice how to best and earliest come to Calgary (from FRA/STR area)?
Old Apr 16, 10, 1:56 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by agadasch View Post
LH 494 to Calgary was also cancelled today (not listed on page 1 yet).
LH SEN Hotline didn't really help.

Anybody an advice how to best and earliest come to Calgary (from FRA/STR area)?
I guess no one can tell you, this one we seem to need to just ride through. Perhaps try your luck and drive down to ZRH, GVE or Strassbourg.

I am stranded in a 5 star luxury hotel in Cannes. Yes, there are really worse places to be grounded. But I am on continuous trips for 3 weeks now and wanted to desperately go home this week end to see the family.

I have a rental car reservation and I need to decide by 11 o'clock whether I take it or continue to drink one diet coke for the cheap price of 8 Euro after the other here on the croisette.

Last edited by mamb0; Apr 16, 10 at 2:03 am
Old Apr 16, 10, 2:01 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Here is the forecast of the Norwegian Meteorological Institute up to Sunday morning 6am:

http://met.no/?module=Articles;actio...icShow;ID=2873
Old Apr 16, 10, 2:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by mamb0 View Post
I guess no one can tell you, this one we seem to need to just ride through.
I am stranded in a 5 star luxury hotel in Cannes. Yes, there are really worse places to be grounded. But I am on continuous trips for 3 weeks now and wanted to desperately go home this week end to see the family.

I have a rental car reservation and I need to decide by 11 o'clock whether I take it or continue to drink one diet coke for the cheap price of 8 Euro after the other here on the croisette.
Just take the train... 18h of joy. And so that you don't fall asleep, a ton of changes are required

Code:
Cannes 	Fr, 16.04.10 	ab 	10:58 	  	TGV 9864 	TGV
Reservierungspflicht, Globalpreis, Barwagen
Valence TGV 	Fr, 16.04.10 	an 	14:16 	 
Valence TGV 	Fr, 16.04.10 	ab 	15:13 	  	TGV 6866
TGV 6867 	TGV
Reservierungspflicht, Globalpreis, Barwagen, Rollstuhlstellplatz
Verkehrt als TGV 6866 bis Bellegarde(Ain), danach als TGV 6867
Geneve 	Fr, 16.04.10 	an 	17:35 	 
Geneve 	Fr, 16.04.10 	ab 	18:14 	6 	IC 541 	Intercity
Fahrradmitnahme reservierungspflichtig, Fahrradmitnahme begrenzt möglich, Businessabteil, Bordrestaurant, Imbiss und Getränke erhältlich, Handy-/Ruhezonen, Kleinkindabteil
Biel/Bienne 	Fr, 16.04.10 	an 	19:41 	2
Biel/Bienne 	Fr, 16.04.10 	ab 	19:49 	3 	IC 1641 	Intercity
Fahrradmitnahme reservierungspflichtig, Fahrradmitnahme begrenzt möglich, Businessabteil, Bordrestaurant, Handy-/Ruhezonen, Kleinkindabteil
Basel SBB 	Fr, 16.04.10 	an 	20:53 	14
Basel SBB 	Fr, 16.04.10 	ab 	21:07 	  	IC 60459 	Intercity
nur 2. Klasse
Heidelberg Hbf 	Fr, 16.04.10 	an 	23:32 	5
Heidelberg Hbf 	Sa, 17.04.10 	ab 	01:25 	  	IC 2597 	Intercity
Bordrestaurant
München Hbf 	Sa, 17.04.10 	an 	05:24
Old Apr 16, 10, 2:12 am

Hi all

Sorry, but I could not find the answer online.

Until when is the closure in Frankfurt airport?

I have a flight tomorrow to Dubai from Zrh through Fra, should that be fine again?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: