Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic ash cloud impacts LH flight operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
Originally Posted by LHrelate
I know - there was a conference call a few hours ago but nothing changed since then.

As soon as I receive and interpret I will post
Thanks, Michelle!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by anaidross
Is this perhaps a chance for one to make some money under EU 261/2004?

One could a few bookings for next week and then volunteer to give up his seat. With the backlog, there will be ample demand for the seats...
I'm all for taking advantage of marketing promotions and opportunities - but in response to this, all I can say is:

Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Miles & Smiles, Continental OnePass
Smile Look on the bright side.

Stop looking, you are not going anywhere by air until Wednesday, Friday or next week.
If you have a room for the night, a few dollars in your pocket and the world will not end if you stay put, feel lucky.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN
Interesting statements in German and Dutch media by airline management of KLM, Air Berlin and Lufthansa.

- air space closure only based on a British computer model
- not a single actual measurement of particles in German air space undertaken
- repositioned aircraft from MUC to FRA checked and no problems found
- KLM to reposition aircraft from DUS to AMS Sunday morning
- after that test for any problems
- KLM: This has lasted long enough. We want to fly now.

Industry is obviously getting edgy and starts to put on pressure on regulators... Tomorrow is going to be interesting!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Miles & Smiles, Continental OnePass
Smile Dig in for the duration

LONDON, April 17 (Reuters) - Europe's air travel chaos deepened on Saturday as a huge cloud of volcanic ash spread southeast across the continent, halting more than three in four flights and stranding tens of thousands of passengers worldwide.

European aviation agency Eurocontrol said no landings or takeoffs were possible for civilian aircraft in most of northern and central Europe because of the ash spewed out by the Icelandic volcano, which was still erupting.

Many countries closed airspace until Sunday or Monday and weather experts forecast the cloud would not move far. They said the plume of ash could even become more concentrated on Tuesday and Wednesday, posing a greater threat to air travel.

The plume that floated through the upper atmosphere, where it could wreak havoc on jet engines and airframes, is costing airlines more than $200 million a day.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:49 pm
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: Official LH Real Person
First Post Updated 17:44 ET

Operational info only; rebooking policy remains the same (version 4).

Next update will be tomorrow morning.

Best,
Michelle
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks LHrelate for your stellar service (once again) ^^
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:58 pm
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: Official LH Real Person
Originally Posted by KIXJNB
Interesting statements in German and Dutch media by airline management of KLM, Air Berlin and Lufthansa.

Industry is obviously getting edgy and starts to put on pressure on regulators... Tomorrow is going to be interesting!
We want to fly too
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN, KLM/AF Platinum, BA Gold
Thanks LHrelate for updates even here in JNB - people like you make LH always my first choice. ^
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
It will be interesting to see how other authorities handle the information provided by the Volcanic Ashes Advisory Center in London.

I'm not sure how far east Eurocontrol's authority reaches, but probably not as far as the VAAC London publishes it's cloud areas.

Russia for example is now also covered to a good extent by the cloud on Flight Level 200. Cities are not shown, but my guess is that Moscow is now also covered, yet the only cancellations I've just seen seem to be the ones to Europe.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:31 pm

KLM test flight

Apparently, KLM also conducted a test flight of its own Saturday night.

Here is the (Google translated) version of a Dutch article on this: http://tinyurl.com/klmtestflight

The CEO of KLM was on board the test plane!

I am beginning to think this might all just be Swine Flu II, and we could have been flying all along. "Ash Flu". Somebody order billions of vaccines, please.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by KIXJNB

Do you have any links on this? I hate the one-sided stupid portrayal of this situation by the media. "Oh let's all take a look how people sleep on beds and on the floor at various airports, that's REALLY interesting. But some scientific findings / technical opinions, who cares."
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by LHrelate

* 19APR flights to Americas still planned pending results of air test flight
This sounds like our only chance of seeing planes fly before Thursday (see jet stream movement forecast on the front page of Accuweather). Fingers crossed.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sfosenkid
Do you have any links on this?
check this out
http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/prep...date/index.htm
KLM test flight passes off without problem

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines carried out a test flight this evening between about 19.45 and 21:00 hours CEST in Netherlands airspace using a Boeing 737-800. The flight was carried out to establish whether air quality in the atmosphere meets the requirements for safe flight. No problems were encountered during the flight.

The aircraft was transferred to a hangar on landing where it underwent a thorough inspection. The results have been reported to the Transport and Water Management Inspectorate. The Inspectorate will take the decision on whether flight operations are possible.

KLM President & CEO, Peter Hartman, said: "At first glance there is no reason to suspect that anything is amiss. We observed no irregularities either during the flight or during the initial inspection on the ground. If the results of the technical inspection confirm this impression, we are ready to start by returning seven of our aircraft to Amsterdam from Düsseldorf. We hope to receive permission as soon as possible after that to start up our operation and to transport our passengers to their destinations." KLM Executive Vice-President Operations, Ype de Haan, was also on board the flight with Peter Hartman as an observer.

The aircraft flew to 41,000 feet (altitude of approximately 13 kilometres), which is the maximum altitude for this type of aircraft. KLM expects to receive the final results of the technical inspection tomorrow morning.

Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:27 pm

Another interesting article

in BILD (in German):
http://www.bild.de/BILD/news/2010/04...vorwuerfe.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.