LHR and STN will be closed today from 1200hrs local time

Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:48 am
Original Poster

LHR and STN will be closed today from 1200hrs local time

LH flights are already cancelled...
as well as flights to OSL and other scandinavian cities...

Heathrow and Stansted flights expected to be suspended from 1200
Last updated: 09:25
Due to airspace restrictions, in accordance with international regulations as a result of the on-going volcanic activity in Iceland, we anticipate that all flights in and out of Heathrow and Stansted airports will be suspended from 1200 today. Therefore, we strongly advise passengers intending to fly from this time not to travel to the airport today. We will provide further updates as we get more information from air traffic provider NATS

Last edited by CubaLibre; Apr 15, 2010 at 2:57 am
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:53 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
EDI, MAN and BHX are also closed or flights severely disrupted already.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:55 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
MAN was closed from about 0700 this morning. "About" because apparently different parts of the airspace closed at different times, making it impossible to get startup clearance earlier.

FRA and MUC flights (0705 departure and 0655 departure respectively) were ready to go at 0635, but still no luck...
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:11 am

MUC to LHR, MAN, BHX all cancelled today, but LH 4750 did make it out.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:00 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by elsie
MUC to LHR, MAN, BHX all cancelled today, but LH 4750 did make it out.
Now the bet is on; which flight will be the next one out!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The Westbound North Atlantic traffic is also disrupted: flights to the US on the NAT are delayed due to the longer routing:

Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:20 am

This volcano should make flying in Europe (northern) a circus the next couple of days (please not weeks!!)
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: LH, SPG
Any news on today's transatlantic flights would be appreciated.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:46 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by larsll
Now the bet is on; which flight will be the next one out!
According to lh.com and the MAN website all LH flights between MAN and Germany are cancelled for the rest of today.

I'm supposed to be flying MAN-DUS tomorrow morning with a connection to ORD on a BMI award ticket. I don't think there's any point in contacting anybody right now as tomorrow morning's flights have not been cancelled yet.

This is what lh.com's UK site says:

Volcanic activity Iceland

Due to volcano activity in Iceland, and the subsequent ash cloud contaminating UK airspace, many flights have been severely delayed and cancelled.
We regret the inconvenience caused by the disruption to your flight(s) and will make every effort to minimize the impact caused to you.

If you are affected, in this instance, by delay or cancellation we will rebook you onto the next available Lufthansa flight. A full refund of your ticket is possible should you decide not to travel. Alternatively, should you wish to rebook at a later date (conditions apply), we will be pleased to do this free of charge.

Check flight status on Arrival & Departure

Passengers on cancelled flights are requested to contact the Lufthansa Service Center

We sincerely regret and apologize for any inconvenience that may have been caused as a result of this situation.
So what are my options? Because it's a BMI award do I need to contact ICC? Or possbily BMI's pre-travel support? Or since I'm already checked in and the announcement on lh.com tells you to contact the LH Service Center do I call the SEN line?

I should know the answer but when it actually happens I'm at a loss. Any advice? I need to fly out by Sunday at the latest.

P.S. According to this thread in the BD forum (haven't had a chance to check the BA forum) the forecast is not too good and by tomorrow morning some parts of continental Europe may also be affected.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation...1271331761.png
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I'm supposed to be flying MAN-DUS tomorrow morning with a connection to ORD on a BMI award ticket. I don't think there's any point in contacting anybody right now as tomorrow morning's flights have not been cancelled yet.
A little update. The BMI ICC was able to re-book me for MAN-FRA-ORD on Saturday, although the MAN-DUS flight tomorrow morning is not officially cancelled yet. I'll just have to hope volcanic ashes will have cleared by Saturday morning.

Very impressed by the service. ^ I was lucky to talk to one of their best agents whom I had dealt with before.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:29 am

Looking at the forecast I don't think anybody will be flying until well into the day tomorrow. I am off Manchester - London - Brussels by train tonight/tomorrow. If I am lucky I'll reach Brussels before they go offline, unless there is a (confirmed) rental car waiting for me!

Godspeed everybody!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by larsll
If I am lucky I'll reach Brussels before they go offline, unless there is a (confirmed) rental car waiting for me!
http://www.brusselsairport.be/

Belgian airspace closed as from 16:30 LT

As a result of the volcanic activity in Iceland, all flights in and out of Brussels Airport will be suspended from today Thursday 15 April at 16:30 until Friday 16 April at 18:00.

We therefore strongly advise passengers who were due to fly from this time today to contact their airline before coming to the airport:
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: M&M SEN**; FB Silver; IHG Platinum
CDG, ORY and LBG to be closed as of 23:00.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:48 am

According to this report AMS and BRU were closed not because of volcanic ashes but because of congestion due to the large number of diverted aircraft.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
What if this continues? I need to fly LHR-FRA-OTP tomorrow afternoon and I think I have now ~40% chances to get stuck in LHR.

If they can't find any connection for me tomorrow afternoon, would LH cover any accommodation or living cost until Sat or Sun?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.