Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Booking two award tickets for the same passenger on the same flight - problems?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking two award tickets for the same passenger on the same flight - problems?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by goliath
I am currently holding a M&M award ticket in C for 2 pax that includes an LX flight PVG-ZRH in C.

Now, looking for a better option, I tried to book another award ticket for the same 2 pax, inlcluding the same LX flight PVG-ZRH in F, this would be an award using US miles.

Now the booking process with US went well until it came to ticketing. Although 2 F seats are available to US, as soon as they start ticketing the first passenger, the second seat "disappears" and is not bookable anymore.

The idea of course would be to cancel the M&M C award after the US F award has been issued, but I don't want to cancel the M&M C award before the US F award is confirmed. Now I am wondering if the fact that two pax with the same names are being booked on the same flight is causing the issue?

Has anyone ever had a simliar experience?
I'm kinda in the same boat...want to hold on to an existing award, same flights, but switch from one Star Alliance award program to another.

So I was thinking of booking the exact same 4 persons, the exact same flights, with miles from the other program. As soon as the tickets are confirmed, I will of course cancel the first booking.

The reason is of course is just to make sure that I don't lose my seats switching from one program to another. The inventory is there, but still...I feel uneasy cancelling without "backup"

Would this be okay, as long as I cancel the first booking immediately afterwards ?

Regards

Tommy

Last edited by TommyL; Dec 31, 2013 at 10:43 am
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Hi Tommy,

As mentioned before, this will depend on the operating carrier. In my experience LH/LX will realize the double booking and send a warning to you / your travel agent with a deadline and cancel one of the bookings if not resolved by that deadline. So shouldn't be a problem for you if you cancel the "old" booking directly after the "new" booking is confirmed.

Other airlines (I had an experience with SQ) have stricter systems which prevent doing a double booking right away.

Good luck anyway to find double availability for four reward seats in one flight...

Have safe travels

Primenumber
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:05 pm

Thanks primenumber, Ill give it a try. Looks like it shouldn't be a problem as long as I cancel immediately.

Last edited by TommyL; Dec 31, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.