Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

The definitive LH First experience thread [including how to maximize it]

The definitive LH First experience thread [including how to maximize it]

Old Nov 27, 2023, 9:06 am
  #736  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: VIE/PRG
Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Posts: 1,580
Originally Posted by chris63
Of course everything we can do helps, that is common sense

You lost your argument when you claimed you were bundled into a Van from FCT to your flight
I dont think he is upset regarding the van that much but imho this small touch is where LH looses points. I have flown LH twice this year, once alone and once with my father. When I was alone, I saved the carbon footprint by being forgotten on the tarmac arriving from EU shuttle. When I mentioned this in FCT and asked for solo ride (in whatever car available, honestly, I could not care less if it is Tesla, BMW or Chevy Chevelle), ofc they put me into car with one stranger. We were not driven alone with my father either, ofc they had to put one more flyer with us. And OP of this argument asked them too, clearly not experienced LH F flyer and LH F could have easily hooked him up for another spending, perhaps loyalty but they missed the chance and from business point of view it is imho more sad than the van itself.
747jetter is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2023, 9:22 am
  #737  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: AUS
Programs: DL/HH/IHG/BW/Caesar's Diamond (Select), UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott/MGM Gold, Hertz/Avis PC
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by 747jetter
I dont think he is upset regarding the van that much but imho this small touch is where LH looses points. I have flown LH twice this year, once alone and once with my father. When I was alone, I saved the carbon footprint by being forgotten on the tarmac arriving from EU shuttle. When I mentioned this in FCT and asked for solo ride (in whatever car available, honestly, I could not care less if it is Tesla, BMW or Chevy Chevelle), ofc they put me into car with one stranger. We were not driven alone with my father either, ofc they had to put one more flyer with us. And OP of this argument asked them too, clearly not experienced LH F flyer and LH F could have easily hooked him up for another spending, perhaps loyalty but they missed the chance and from business point of view it is imho more sad than the van itself.
You're correct, the vehicle itself didn't matter much. I also didn't complain about not having a vehicle transfer at MUC, just commented on no escort to the gates. I see you also had a poor experience which is very sad.

Oh well, I got to fly on two unique aircraft, got some cool ducks, and discovered that the product is .5 above decent J service on other carriers. For F in the future, I will stick to the fantastic La Premiere service or the solid Swiss experience which has always been a private transfer for me. I hope my datapoint helps the thread.
Airborne Brat is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2023, 9:27 am
  #738  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 11,195
Originally Posted by 747jetter
I dont think he is upset regarding the van that much but imho this small touch is where LH looses points. I have flown LH twice this year, once alone and once with my father. When I was alone, I saved the carbon footprint by being forgotten on the tarmac arriving from EU shuttle. When I mentioned this in FCT and asked for solo ride (in whatever car available, honestly, I could not care less if it is Tesla, BMW or Chevy Chevelle), ofc they put me into car with one stranger. We were not driven alone with my father either, ofc they had to put one more flyer with us. And OP of this argument asked them too, clearly not experienced LH F flyer and LH F could have easily hooked him up for another spending, perhaps loyalty but they missed the chance and from business point of view it is imho more sad than the van itself.
The OP did say, bundled into a Van, that is presumably what criminals do.. the distance from FCT to Z gates is a few meters & the transport is a purpose built Limousine . for a few meters it makes sense on every level to complete that trip in one vehicle movement & as others have pointed out FRAPORT limit the number on the airfield
chris63 is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2023, 9:32 am
  #739  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: VIE/PRG
Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Posts: 1,580
Originally Posted by chris63
The OP did say, bundled into a Van, that is presumably what criminals do.. the distance from FCT to Z gates is a few meters & the transport is a purpose built Limousine . for a few meters it makes sense on every level to complete that trip in one vehicle movement & as others have pointed out FRAPORT limit the number on the airfield
It does not make sense if we talk about premium product.
747jetter is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2023, 9:36 am
  #740  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 11,195
Originally Posted by 747jetter
It does not make sense if we talk about premium product.
What was not premium ?
chris63 is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2023, 9:53 am
  #741  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geneva
Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Posts: 5,370
Originally Posted by Airborne Brat
For F in the future, I will stick to the fantastic La Premiere service or the solid Swiss experience which has always been a private transfer for me. I hope my datapoint helps the thread.
Yes, LX F is solid but private transfers are not at all guaranteed - indeed the ZRH LX F arrival shuttle is 99% certain to be in a van and for apron arrivals connecting to F there is the business class bus. Only apron departures from FCL A and off-peak FCL A to E shuttle runs have a chance of a private transfer.
chris63 likes this.
MichielR is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2023, 9:54 am
  #742  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geneva
Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Posts: 5,370
Originally Posted by 747jetter
It does not make sense if we talk about premium product.
Nothing makes sense at FRA....
curt and chris63 like this.
MichielR is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2023, 11:49 am
  #743  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: VIE/PRG
Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Posts: 1,580
Originally Posted by chris63
What was not premium ?
Shared van with other strangers? Maybe the staff that could come to this guy and explain him that it is not possible to be driven alone? If they know the tarmac restrictions, why not to inform the pax about it? Perhaps we both have very different approach when it comes to what is / should be first class product since your expectations are far away from mine. But if it fits you, enjoy.
747jetter is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2023, 2:50 pm
  #744  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: ZRH
Programs: LX HON Circle
Posts: 3,192
I did not have anything else than the van from A to E in ZRH for many years, on countless occasions.
The only times I get the (electric) Mercedes limo is when my plane leaves from an appron position. That includes flights op by Air Baltic and Helvetic obviously.
When in FRA, it's about 50/50 between the van and Porsche.
In MUC they always send Porsches. Last time 3 of them were waiting there (arriving from ZRH). Last time I got a van there was pre-covid.
Viennafly and chris63 like this.
f4freeJunior is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2023, 8:39 pm
  #745  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 11,195
Originally Posted by 747jetter
Shared van with other strangers? Maybe the staff that could come to this guy and explain him that it is not possible to be driven alone? If they know the tarmac restrictions, why not to inform the pax about it? Perhaps we both have very different approach when it comes to what is / should be first class product since your expectations are far away from mine. But if it fits you, enjoy.
The OP shared the FCT with those strangers and then another 12 hours in a Metal tube, 5 minutes in a shared Limousine should not be that much of a shock but if it was then only fly Private..

It has been the case for Years that FRA use shared transport to flights from FCT, i do my research before i buy, then you know what to expect.
NYC1, sw1x and Fabo.sk like this.
chris63 is offline  
Old Nov 28, 2023, 1:38 am
  #746  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Stirling, Scotland
Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Posts: 1,990
I'd hardly call it a "van".

Last time we were in the FCT terminal we politely asked if the boys could be driven in a Porsche, they were and we (parents) went in the "van" with another couple, no drama for the short ride.
chris63 likes this.
pmcg is offline  
Old Nov 28, 2023, 3:10 am
  #747  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC, FLL
Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Bronze
Posts: 6,205
Originally Posted by Airborne Brat
I flew LH First on the A340 from JFK-MUC with a continuing flight to ATH and then a return from CAI-FRA-SFO with LH First on the 747 for FRA-SFO leg. What a world of difference from Air France's La Premiere or even Swiss First. The JFK lounge was fantastic as were the crew on the A340 but the staff at MUC were less than friendly. The seat on the A340 and 747 was outdated but an oasis compared to the business class. Besides at JFK, I felt the ground service across the entire experience was less than ideal. At JFK I was guided to the lounge, escorted to the aircraft, and enjoyed a fantastic meal. However at MUC, there was no escort to or from the lounge. The same at CAI and arrival at FRA. FRA was the worst as I arrived at 5AM with no Lufthansa employees to be seen bedsides the one in the jet bridge operating it. I wandered T2/3 and couldn't locate anyone, even at the service point. I walked to the first class terminal and finally saw my first employee.

When it came time to depart the FCT, 4 of us were bundled into a van and driven to the aircraft even though there were plenty of Porsches parked. I have never experienced anything like this with AF or LX... not even Delta when they offer me a ride to the aircraft as a mere elite benefit. Upon landing at SFO, we were just let out in between the stream of business passengers. Lufthansa really needs to invest in this experience. Of course, the crew on both first class flights were fantastic and you can tell they really go out of their way to make up for the lack of hard product.
A few points:
  • JFK lounge escort - its literally right there after security. If you are referring to the escort to security portion of it, its chaos getting to the front - and if you originate in MUC, theres dedicated F check in + fast track security. FRA FCT even better.
  • JFK dinner fantastic? Can you share the menu? IME, JFK dining is limited and poor. MUC FCL is far superior.
  • Shared van: it happens. The journey is short, and you still bypass regular gate boarding. Thats still an F experience to me. (Tip: take some photos of the Porsches and enjoy them either way - thats what I do). The fact that you might be staring at a stranger (who is on your plane, BTW), for 5 mins, doesnt bother me. In fact, Ive had some fun conversations and laughs with my van counterparts!

Perhaps Im too easily pleased with the above aspects. I decline lounge to gate walking escorts unless Im in unfamiliar territory. I enjoy the navigation and once at the gate, I make myself known to a staff member at boarding that Im in F and they always guide me to the front. I can see being escorted to the gate being useful if you have mobility issues and / or dont know the airport. Otherwise, I dont need it.

In the age of smartphones, I find connecting in F solo, without assistance, and finding a specific lounge very simple.

I can think of some pretty bad OneWorld F transfers Ive experienced (BA LHR, QF SYD, anything AA) - LH F is not the top (AF F) but its not the bottom either.
Viennafly, chris63, sw1x and 1 others like this.

Last edited by seanp7; Nov 28, 2023 at 3:17 am
seanp7 is offline  
Old Nov 28, 2023, 11:59 am
  #748  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: * Alliance Gold, oneworld Emerald, Marriott Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
Posts: 2,085
Originally Posted by Airborne Brat
When it came time to depart the FCT, 4 of us were bundled into a van and driven to the aircraft even though there were plenty of Porsches parked. I have never experienced anything like this with AF or LX... not even Delta when they offer me a ride to the aircraft as a mere elite benefit.
It is quite usual in FRA. I have been also sharing VW and from/to airplane, Cayenne to airplane and given a choice to choose the car. Did not bothered me, more space in VW therefore much more comfortable. Maybe for the first timer the Porsche it is relevant. Last time recently was Panamera.
Jaenks is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 9:31 am
  #749  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC -- UA 1K; SPG Platinum; HH Diamond.
Posts: 2,825
Originally Posted by seanp7
A few points:
  • JFK lounge escort - its literally right there after security. If you are referring to the escort to security portion of it, its chaos getting to the front - and if you originate in MUC, theres dedicated F check in + fast track security. FRA FCT even better.
  • JFK dinner fantastic? Can you share the menu? IME, JFK dining is limited and poor. MUC FCL is far superior.
  • Shared van: it happens. The journey is short, and you still bypass regular gate boarding. Thats still an F experience to me. (Tip: take some photos of the Porsches and enjoy them either way - thats what I do). The fact that you might be staring at a stranger (who is on your plane, BTW), for 5 mins, doesnt bother me. In fact, Ive had some fun conversations and laughs with my van counterparts!

Perhaps Im too easily pleased with the above aspects. I decline lounge to gate walking escorts unless Im in unfamiliar territory. I enjoy the navigation and once at the gate, I make myself known to a staff member at boarding that Im in F and they always guide me to the front. I can see being escorted to the gate being useful if you have mobility issues and / or dont know the airport. Otherwise, I dont need it.

In the age of smartphones, I find connecting in F solo, without assistance, and finding a specific lounge very simple.

I can think of some pretty bad OneWorld F transfers Ive experienced (BA LHR, QF SYD, anything AA) - LH F is not the top (AF F) but its not the bottom either.
Agree with it all.

In fairness, I think he said the JFK lounge was fantastic, not the dinner / food specifically. Although 1) nothing about that lounge/ F/HON floor is fantastic and 2) the food there is actually mediocre at best (and mostly poor) (it used to be ok pre-covid but deteriorated after the long overdue reopening).
seanp7 and chris63 like this.
NYC1 is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 10:19 am
  #750  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: IRL,DE,PL,JPN
Programs: M&M,M&B,AMC,HH
Posts: 314
I actually dont mind van. There are many interesting people you can find and talk to during this short trip.
Bottom line; any personal carrier to the plane is still much better than the bus.
But YMMV 🤷🏻‍♂️
chris63, kahuna1993 and gru_muc like this.
Patrickschmidt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.