FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   The definitive LH First experience thread [including how to maximize it] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1040252-definitive-lh-first-experience-thread-including-how-maximize.html)

Pseudo Nim Mar 20, 2019 7:02 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 30908700)
I personally would not go out of my way to use the FCT. It's pretty sterile and has no views. The lounges in the main terminal are much more interesting IMO (with great views over the apron and planes pulling up right under the lounge). Departing FRA yes you might like the FCT. in transit? I'd be sticking with those in the terminal. (The car transfer can be you and others... and stuck in the front seat of one of the porches with zero legroom isn't everyone's idea of a fun way to get to the aircraft :()

+1 to this. You might end up in the stupid Mercedes V-Class van, which is nice, but INCREDIBLY boring. I was fortunate once to have an S63 AMG - that was a nice ride.

That said, though, the FCT does allow you one thing that you won't get in the FCL (unless you have an apron position - but the jumbos are rarely there), and it's even more valid if you're flying longhaul on one of the huge birds: the fact that you pull up right next to the aircraft and walk to the gate, means you can take some REALLY up-close pictures of a 747 or a 380. That is irreplaceable, to be honest, and is probably the reason why I keep going to the FCT - the views from the lounge are nice, but to be within metres of those beasts is an experience I cherish every single time.

worldclubber Mar 20, 2019 10:00 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 30908700)
I personally would not go out of my way to use the FCT. It's pretty sterile and has no views. The lounges in the main terminal are much more interesting IMO (with great views over the apron and planes pulling up right under the lounge). Departing FRA yes you might like the FCT. in transit? I'd be sticking with those in the terminal. (The car transfer can be you and others... and stuck in the front seat of one of the porches with zero legroom isn't everyone's idea of a fun way to get to the aircraft :()

I agree with almost anything here, but have never ended up in the front seat of a Porsche.

Back seat of a Porsche hybrid recently:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3b65d04bd.jpeg

worldclubber Mar 20, 2019 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 30908719)
+1 to this. You might end up in the stupid Mercedes V-Class van, which is nice, but INCREDIBLY boring. I was fortunate once to have an S63 AMG - that was a nice ride.

Had Porsche non-hybrid and hybrid, and the S63 AMG so far this year, but actually prefer the van. The vans don’t give you the same bragging rights as a Porsche or AMG, but a comfortable seat and a better view.

chris63 Mar 20, 2019 10:05 am

[QUOTE=plane2323;30908635My question is whether the FCT offers enough of a different experience to try to do both if we end up on LH434.
![/QUOTE]

All of the LH group FCL’s are World beating IMO

FCT is the World’s only First Class terminal, so if you haven’t experienced it you should, dedicated PA is also unique, you can only be driven to the plane & most likely in a Porsche ATM but the Merc Vans are special too.

MichielR Mar 20, 2019 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by worldclubber (Post 30909393)

Had Porsche non-hybrid and hybrid, and the S63 AMG so far this year, but actually prefer the van. The vans don’t give you the same bragging rights as a Porsche or AMG, but a comfortable seat and a better view.

I find the experience of being driven around at 20 km/h in the back seat of a Porsche a bit underwhelming. Not much to brag about other than perhaps the claim that I manage to do this at least a dozen times per year...

However, it beats the same experience on a Cobus 3000 with 75 other by miles, so I will happily continue.

sophialite Mar 20, 2019 1:28 pm

I’ll never understand the near fanatical devotion to the personal PA. And I knew Chris63 would bring it up. What do they do exactly? Have I not been utilizing mine correctly?

MichielR Mar 20, 2019 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 30910174)
I’ll never understand the near fanatical devotion to the personal PA. And I knew Chris63 would bring it up. What do they do exactly? Have I not been utilizing mine correctly?

These are the FCT PAs: when you arrive at the FCT they will deal with all admin stuff and help with requests like tax free refunds etc. They will come and tell you when it is time to go down to the car/van.

Unlike the FCL where you actually have to report at the car shuttle desk (or leave to walk to the gate) all by yourself.

If you ingest copious quantities of vintage (or at least decent) champagne then a PA to remind you that you actually have a flight to catch is a good idea. :D If not, it is just a significant part of a first class experience that is on many once-in-a-lifetime F pax’ bucket list.

But then, the FCL vs FCT debate has been ongoing without a clear winner, it is all about personal preferences. Some prefer a PA and guaranteed ride, some prefer a view.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Mar 20, 2019 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 30910174)

Seeing the PAs in action there are obviously some very regular travellers... the PAs and pax interacting and talking about all sorts of things like old friends. On my last visit the PA/pax were talking about the pax's daughter's wedding and how it went and all that sort of stuff. It was clear the PA had been talking about this with the passenger, regularly, for a long time (they knew all the details).

For less frequent travellers (like myself), the PA is lovely, but there's not a lot they can really do for you. They printed out a connecting boarding pass for me once that couldn't be done at check-in... going online through the 'manage booking' function to check me in and print out a boarding pass on A4 paper (this saved me having to exit and go to a check-in desk at my transit point). And they come and get you when the car is ready. But I also manage to keep track of time in the regular Fcls :)

Kleffen Mar 20, 2019 2:56 pm

Will the PA carry one into the Porsche, in the case of too many scotch samples?

NewbieRunner Mar 20, 2019 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kleffen (Post 30910482)
Will the PA carry one into the Porsche, in the case of too many scotch samples?

You might not be allowed to board the flight especially to MEX if you can't walk to the Porsche by yourself. :p

worldclubber Mar 20, 2019 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by MichielR (Post 30910133)

I find the experience of being driven around at 20 km/h in the back seat of a Porsche a bit underwhelming. Not much to brag about other than perhaps the claim that I manage to do this at least a dozen times per year...

However, it beats the same experience on a Cobus 3000 with 75 other by miles, so I will happily continue.

That’s why I said I prefer the van. Direct and comfortable transport to the plane, which are the most important aspects to me.

In my view, the Porsches are most important for the “once in a lifetime and I need to squeeze as many things possible to brag about into the trip“ pax. I always feel sorry for the Porsches operating in the highly restricted airside environment.

worldclubber Mar 20, 2019 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by MichielR (Post 30910230)
These are the FCT PAs: when you arrive at the FCT they will deal with all admin stuff and help with requests like tax free refunds etc. They will come and tell you when it is time to go down to the car/van.

Unlike the FCL where you actually have to report at the car shuttle desk (or leave to walk to the gate) all by yourself.

Actually, on all of my recent visits to the FCLs they offered to come and get me when the car was ready.

If you ingest copious quantities of vintage (or at least decent) champagne then a PA to remind you that you actually have a flight to catch is a good idea. :D
Very diplomatic that you didn’t mention names. ;)

But then, the FCL vs FCT debate has been ongoing without a clear winner, it is all about personal preferences. Some prefer a PA and guaranteed ride, some prefer a view.
Totally agree. Tastes differ, nothing wrong with that. ^

Kleffen Mar 20, 2019 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 30910531)
You might not be allowed to board the flight especially to MEX if you can't walk to the Porsche by yourself. :p

Why especially to MEX?
On that flight they serve tequila in F, so it’ll go badly regardless 😜

NewbieRunner Mar 20, 2019 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kleffen (Post 30910846)
Why especially to MEX?

Check the thread I linked.

chris63 Mar 20, 2019 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 30910447)
Seeing the PAs in action there are obviously some very regular travellers... the PAs and pax interacting and talking about all sorts of things like old friends. On my last visit the PA/pax were talking about the pax's daughter's wedding and how it went and all that sort of stuff. It was clear the PA had been talking about this with the passenger, regularly, for a long time (they knew all the details).

For less frequent travellers (like myself), the PA is lovely, but there's not a lot they can really do for you. They printed out a connecting boarding pass for me once that couldn't be done at check-in... going online through the 'manage booking' function to check me in and print out a boarding pass on A4 paper (this saved me having to exit and go to a check-in desk at my transit point). And they come and get you when the car is ready. But I also manage to keep track of time in the regular Fcls :)

Yes, exactly, I have known some of the Staff there for many years, regulars tend to get an even better experience.

I really appreciate the PA system at the FCT because for once I don’t have to think about my next flight they are doing that.

And of course on connections I can avoid the dreadful transfer security in FRA.