Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

The definitive LH First experience thread [including how to maximize it]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The definitive LH First experience thread [including how to maximize it]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:13 pm
Koc

Originally Posted by MichielR
If you arrive at an apron position, there will most likely be a car for F pax. Ask to be driven to B Schengen arrivals. From there up the escalator, through passport control and to the F lounge at B. You will be driven to Z, C and apron departures from there, only if your ICN flight leaves from B will you have to walk a little.

The car from FCL B to your plane will leave approx twenty minutes before departure, so this should give you some time for a drink in the lounge.

If your flight from CPH is on time and if you really want to try the FCT, then ask to be dropped at A Schengen bus arrivals, which is a bit shorter to the FCT.

The FCT will guarantee a car to the plane but will involve a walk outside and a security check albeit a very civilized one.

I would stick to FCL B in this case.
Thank you very much for your throughout reply^ any reason why you would prefer B over A? But incase of jetbridge I suppose we are just as good in A?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Koc
Thank you very much for your throughout reply^ any reason why you would prefer B over A? But incase of jetbridge I suppose we are just as good in A?
B is the right terminal for you (non-Schengen), no point staying behind in A Schengen and not having cleared passport control.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:59 am
Koc

Originally Posted by view
B is the right terminal for you (non-Schengen), no point staying behind in A Schengen and not having cleared passport control.
Sure, but we'll arrive at A and connect to Z with only 80 minutes between flights. Affraid our connection will boil down to rushing between A/Z and B if we choose the FCL B. Would'nt give us much of a maximised LH F-experience
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by Koc
Sure, but we'll arrive at A and connect to Z with only 80 minutes between flights. Affraid our connection will boil down to rushing between A/Z and B if we choose the FCL B. Would'nt give us much of a maximised LH F-experience
i have a 80 Minute Connection tomorrow as well - most probably will just head to the plane directly.

Long story short: with 80 minutes, there is NO maximizing
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Koc
It is a longer walk in most cases to B (not so if you have to go to Z69...). But you will be driven to the plane in Z, so while there is no maximizing there is a bit of the F glamour in this way.

Even with 80 minutes, it could be like this: T-75 arrive A, walk through tunnel and go through passport control, T-60 get to FCL B, have a light meal and a drink at FCL B, T-20 depart for plane by car.

If you are departing from Z50 for example, then the FCL A would make more sense indeed.

And if you have an apron arrival ask to be driven to B, the driver will know why!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Looks like I'm finally going to get to try LH F in a few weeks! I'm currently booked on LX J TXL>ZRH>BOS, and saver award availability in LH F at T-14 on TXL>FRA>BOS has been pretty consistently good for Tuesday departures. Assuming I can change my flights, would you recommend I head out to the FCT for my four-hour layover as most FTers seem to, or stick with one of the FCLs? Factors in favor of the FCT:

1. I don't believe I'll have passport control or customs to deal with upon arriving at FRA, so I can exit and get to the FCT quickly, right? And it might even save time since passport control is done right there?

2. Being driven to the plane would be nice.

3. I've read reports that the service in the FCT is better, though perhaps these are outdated? It seems astonishing to me that service in a FCL would be anything less than flawless.

Factors in favor of staying put at a FCL:

1. The FCT has no views, right? Like many here, I'm a huge fan of runway or at least tarmac views. Does one of the FCLs offer especially spectacular planespotting? I know it won't compare to my ZRH Senator Lounge views on the way in! But it'd still be nice to look at something besides a car park.

2. I can imagine it'd be far less stressful to relax in a FCL than to traipse all over FRA in search of a marginally better lounge experience. (As an aside, I was forced to traipse all over FRA a few weeks ago when a security issue closed the connector between the airport and the train station for over an hour. Several dozen of us were forced to walk aroused the exterior until by sheer luck we found another entrance. NOT FUN.) But perhaps the internal passport control means it'd actually be easier?

3. Am I right that LH has made a point of improving the experience in the FCLs? I've seen reviews for a few years back that describe crowds, unstaffed bars, and long waits for a shower. Are those still the norm, or are the FCLs at parity with the FCT now?

Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
3. Am I right that LH has made a point of improving the experience in the FCLs? I've seen reviews for a few years back that describe crowds, unstaffed bars, and long waits for a shower. Are those still the norm, or are the FCLs at parity with the FCT now?

Thanks!
While the walking distance is probably equal, I say the FCL B over the FCT for your situation as you have already experienced the FCT, the tarmac views, and the fact you will still get driven to the plane given the Z departure to BOS. Think the service is equal between the two lounges.

Now why don't you take an earlier TXL flight so you can experience a Porsche?

Last edited by 764toHI; Jul 16, 2017 at 5:26 am
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
3. I've read reports that the service in the FCT is better, though perhaps these are outdated? It seems astonishing to me that service in a FCL would be anything less than flawless.

Factors in favor of staying put at a FCL:

1. The FCT has no views, right? Like many here, I'm a huge fan of runway or at least tarmac views. Does one of the FCLs offer especially spectacular planespotting? I know it won't compare to my ZRH Senator Lounge views on the way in! But it'd still be nice to look at something besides a car park.
The service inside the FCLs and the FCT is definitely on par, differences are small. You get the same menu und even the identical ham from the identical slicing machine...

Since you value an apron view, the FCL would be the place to go to. The spotting is not exactly spectacular, but you do get to see planes from the FCL at all as opposed to the taxi rank from the FCT.

Enjoy! ^
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I would do the FCT. Since you've never flown LH F before, there's something about the FCT that has a mystique for a first-timer.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by 764toHI
While the walking distance is probably equal, I say the FCL B over the FCT for your situation as you have already experienced the FCT, the tarmac views, and the fact you will still get driven to the plane given the Z departure to BOS.
Just to reiterate, I've never experienced the FCT, as this would be my first time flying LH F. I've transited FRA more times than I can count, though.

It also turns out my ideal routing may not be FRA>BOS after all. There's consistently been saver F space on the evening FRA>ORD flight, and that would let me spend another hour onboard. Do you happen to know if I'd still be driven to the plane without fail?

Originally Posted by worldclubber
The service inside the FCLs and the FCT is definitely on par, differences are small. You get the same menu und even the identical ham from the identical slicing machine...

Since you value an apron view, the FCL would be the place to go to. The spotting is not exactly spectacular, but you do get to see planes from the FCL at all as opposed to the taxi rank from the FCT.
Thanks for your vote! I notice no one's brought up the dedicated passport control at the FCT yet. Is that not a big deal? I've had some miserable half-hour and longer waits at FRA passport control, though admittedly those mostly were to enter Germany, not for a departure.

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
I would do the FCT. Since you've never flown LH F before, there's something about the FCT that has a mystique for a first-timer.
I agree, but I wondered if my judgment was clouded by reading TRs. The main thing holding me back at this point is the notion of trading away a glorious view for a crappy one.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Just to reiterate, I've never experienced the FCT, as this would be my first time flying LH F. I've transited FRA more times than I can count, though.

It also turns out my ideal routing may not be FRA>BOS after all. There's consistently been saver F space on the evening FRA>ORD flight, and that would let me spend another hour onboard. Do you happen to know if I'd still be driven to the plane without fail?

Thanks for your vote! I notice no one's brought up the dedicated passport control at the FCT yet. Is that not a big deal? I've had some miserable half-hour and longer waits at FRA passport control, though admittedly those mostly were to enter Germany, not for a departure.

I agree, but I wondered if my judgment was clouded by reading TRs. The main thing holding me back at this point is the notion of trading away a glorious view for a crappy one.
The late FRA-BOS flight on the 333 is usually easy to get in F. Would consider it rather than an ORD routing. The extra hour does not get you much.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
The late FRA-BOS flight on the 333 is usually easy to get in F. Would consider it rather than an ORD routing. The extra hour does not get you much.
Good to know. Is there anything special about LH F on the 748 besides the curvature of the plane, or are the 748 and 333 experiences identical? TBH I'd prefer a later flight; I'm enough of a lightweight that drinking before 3pm isn't generally a practice I can handle.

While I'm considering alternatives, on the off chance only TXL>MUC>BOS routings are available, would it be worth my time? The reviews of the MUC FCL were mixed until recently, but it appears to have improved in 2017. Does it have to do with the new terminal?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Good to know. Is there anything special about LH F on the 748 besides the curvature of the plane, or are the 748 and 333 experiences identical? TBH I'd prefer a later flight; I'm enough of a lightweight that drinking before 3pm isn't generally a practice I can handle.

While I'm considering alternatives, on the off chance only TXL>MUC>BOS routings are available, would it be worth my time? The reviews of the MUC FCL were mixed until recently, but it appears to have improved in 2017. Does it have to do with the new terminal?
MUC-BOS lost F I loved the 346 on that route. The FCL in MUC is fine, but I prefer the FCT in FRA

The 748 is different from the other F cabins, but I don't find it any better. The single seats have greater distance to the other singles but honestly there is enough space and privacy in F anyway.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
MUC-BOS lost F I loved the 346 on that route. The FCL in MUC is fine, but I prefer the FCT in FRA
Ah, right. I'd heard that was planned, but I didn't realize it had already taken place. I suppose it's just as well, since after this flight all my adventures will be in J or PE. But I may still consider flying through MUC, since occasionally I've found the only LH saver F award space is MUC>EWR.

(My 2,000th post, yay.)
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Sorry I misread your initial post. In that case, definitely go for a long layover at the FCT with the Porsche experience. I'd also take the FRA-ORD flight on the 748 - agree with others the incremental flight time is not meaningful, but there is just something about being in the nose of a 747.

You're guaranteed a ride to the plane if you're going to the US and departing from the FCT or FCL B.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.