FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   LH F is *very* good, but some ideas for improvement. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1037446-lh-f-very-good-but-some-ideas-improvement.html)

UNITED959 Jan 8, 2010 8:28 pm

LH F is *very* good, but some ideas for improvement.

I just completed a few long hauls in LH F, and while I’ve had the experience many times, I’m always impressed at the attention to detail and polished service.

In comparing LH F to other carriers’ First Classes, there are some areas I think could be improved to enhance the product.

DISCLAIMER: The seat is obviously very long in the tooth, having been flying around before my FT tenure, and that’s a long time! :) We know a new seat will be introduced with the A380, so I’ll spare comments on the seat; it’s going to be improved in short order.

• Different Vodka: When the caviar cart comes down the aisle, the red Smirnoff bottle looks out of place. Throw a Grey Goose, Level, or Ultimat on there, please.
  • Better Bath Amenities: The wrapped razor and packaged refresh towel (that they hand out in Y) aren’t up to par. Who shaves on a plane, anyway? It would be nice to see some larger bottles of designer products – a lotion, one of those face-spray things, and maybe a cologne. While the current small bottles of lotion and mouthwash fit in my car quite well, they are out of place in LH’s F lavs. I’d also like to see real cloth towels stocked instead of public bathroom bulk paper towels from Costco.
  • Headrest: The current headrest, while adjustable, does not hold its place. It’d be nice to add some reinforcement that will make the headrest and “seat wings” stay put as the occupant prefers.
  • Turn on the USB Port: It makes a great iPhone charger, especially since the regular socket won't accept the standard wall charger.
  • Set the Silverware: When setting the table, place the silverware pieces in their proper locations instead of throwing down a roll-up with 30 forks, 20 knives, 5.6 spoons, and a toothpick. It’s a nice touch that enhances the service.
  • Champagne Flutes: The LH wine glasses are nice, but the singular strand of bubbles really detract from the look. And it’s not like LH skips on its service items because I have seen all sorts of dishes come out of the galley, ranging from fondue bowls to glass amuse bouche plates. Proper champagne flutes would be great.
  • Mood Lighting: Okay, maybe this infringes upon the hard product department, but some pink and blue lights that alternate would create a more welcoming environment.
  • Lip balm in the amenity kits: If they’re going to keep the climate control set at 80 degrees, our lips will dry out. Lip balm is the cure!

Again, on the whole LH F is a very competitive product and I'm always happy to fly it. But there's always room for improvement.

Rambuster Jan 9, 2010 12:57 am

A happy LH F customer !
Perhaps we should have you stuffed and displayed for the sceptics here ? ;) :D

supermasterphil Jan 9, 2010 3:30 am

You should send this to customer service. This is a great change for them. I am pretty sure that most emails they get are rather negative than as positive as yours while still pointing out points for improvement.

FlyinDutchman Jan 9, 2010 3:41 am

Code:

Perhaps we should have you stuffed
A Fawlty Towers fan are you, Rambuster? :D

Always wishing to fly F one time... :-:

Uli Jan 9, 2010 3:44 am

we have made so many lists here how to improve LH F.
i even remember a list with 20 points of improvements that do not cost more than five euros per passenger together.

as i fly LH F many many times per year and will continue to do so, i though i can only benefit from helping LH to improve the product. i have been to some LH service excellence events, i spoke to people from LH management, wrote them letters --- result: forget it. LH will not improve or re-think this product, it seems they just do not want to.

:mad:

seat 1a Jan 9, 2010 5:14 am

They have the best European F service in their family with LX , it is just
outstanding , Should be possible to transfer to LH , they do not have to re invent the wheel again.

TRAVELSIG Jan 9, 2010 5:25 am

Originally Posted by seat 1a (Post 13145325)
They have the best European F service in their family with LX , it is just
outstanding , Should be possible to transfer to LH , they do not have to re invent the wheel again.

The seat is certainly far better on LX. I would argue however the service on LH is much more consistent.

UNITED959 Jan 9, 2010 7:05 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 13145352)
The seat is certainly far better on LX. I would argue however the service on LH is much more consistent.

Agreed. The new LX F on the A333 is very impressive.

Would be great to have LX's hard product and LH's soft product!

mamb0 Jan 9, 2010 8:30 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959 (Post 13145642)
Agreed. The new LX F on the A333 is very impressive.

Would be great to have LX's hard product and LH's soft product!

I seem the only one who is not that impressed by the new LX F.

Here are my core points of criticism:

1) Seat feels smaller and tighter than the old one
2) Table offers less space when folded out, you cannot get up and leave the seat that easy as before while in service.
3) The air cussion thing is hokus pokus
4) The tv screens or the plastic infront of it is full of scratches and smeares. Change the cleaning fluid and cloth.
5) No place to leave a glass of wine or the remote or personal belongings on top of the furniture
6) Bed is not full flat, the ottoman is considerably lower than the leg and upper body rest. I use a cussion to level it out

seat 1a Jan 9, 2010 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 13145352)
I would argue however the service on LH is much more consistent.

IMHO the only thing better , and by miles , is the ground service in FRA and MUC. My experience so far would have me take the worst of LX F in flight service vs LH F consistency.

Also as an OT - LX really provides HON recognition in flight , even on intra Europe flts.^

geilux Jan 9, 2010 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by seat 1a (Post 13145325)
They have the best European F service in their family with LX

Don't you think BA F is at the same level ??

UNITED959 Jan 9, 2010 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by geilux (Post 13147804)
Don't you think BA F is at the same level ??

I don't. Being closer to America, they've adopted some of our lazy inflight service habits. :D

Rambuster Jan 9, 2010 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by mamb0 (Post 13145941)

Glad you mentioned this. I thought I was just getting too fat !

TRAVELSIG Jan 9, 2010 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by seat 1a (Post 13147058)
Also as an OT - LX really provides HON recognition in flight , even on intra Europe flts.^

This has not been my experience at all- and the AVRO "jumbolino" 3+2 business class is the biggest joke on the planet- 2 times in the last month I have "downgraded" myself by moving behind the business area as the 2 rows of business (yes 2-don't get me started) were jammed with 10 people while there were open seats in economy. If that is the LX HON experience I will stick with LH...

Ari Jan 9, 2010 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by UNITED959 (Post 13143780)
Different Vodka: When the caviar cart comes down the aisle, the red Smirnoff bottle looks out of place. Throw a Grey Goose, Level, or Ultimat on there, please.

Totally agree. So not first class. LX pours Grey Goose, by the way.

Better Bath Amenities: The wrapped razor and packaged refresh towel (that they hand out in Y) aren’t up to par. Who shaves on a plane, anyway? It would be nice to see some larger bottles of designer products – a lotion, one of those face-spray things, and maybe a cologne. While the current small bottles of lotion and mouthwash fit in my car quite well, they are out of place in LH’s F lavs. I’d also like to see real cloth towels stocked instead of public bathroom bulk paper towels from Costco.

I think people were flushing the cloth ones and that was part of the problem. Lavs could use a little more "F-ing up". :D

Headrest: The current headrest, while adjustable, does not hold its place. It’d be nice to add some reinforcement that will make the headrest and “seat wings” stay put as the occupant prefers.

Is it like that on all the seats?

Set the Silverware: When setting the table, place the silverware pieces in their proper locations instead of throwing down a roll-up with 30 forks, 20 knives, 5.6 spoons, and a toothpick. It’s a nice touch that enhances the service.

I don't care much, but I agree that it would be an additional touch.

Champagne Flutes: The LH wine glasses are nice, but the singular strand of bubbles really detract from the look. And it’s not like LH skips on its service items because I have seen all sorts of dishes come out of the galley, ranging from fondue bowls to glass amuse bouche plates. Proper champagne flutes would be great.

I'd settle for better champagne.

Lip balm in the amenity kits

Yes!!! They used to have some and it is gone. I like the current offering, but that is really a must IMO.

I seem the only one who is not that impressed by the new LX F.

I agree; they're more hype than substance.

2) Table offers less space when folded out, you cannot get up and leave the seat that easy as before while in service.
3) The air cussion thing is hokus pokus
4) The tv screens or the plastic infront of it is full of scratches and smeares. Change the cleaning fluid and cloth.
5) No place to leave a glass of wine or the remote or personal belongings on top of the furniture
6) Bed is not full flat, the ottoman is considerably lower than the leg and upper body rest. I use a cussion to level it out

1) Don't notice, but I'm small (165 lbs, 5'10").
2) Didn't notce, and I had no problem getting out when I lowered the armrest, but again, I am small.
3) I think it is there for the placebo effect.
4) Didn't have that problem on my flights, but they can clean them between flights to solve that problem. The scratches are a problem, though . . .
5) Yes!!! Totally annoying! Borders on absurd.
6) I have no idea why they put in a brand new seat that tilts slighty in the "flat" position. I didn't have a problem with the ottomon, but the seat really should be full flat.

I like the privacy of the new seat, though. Also, I find that I can use the space between the wall and the seat for inflight storage. The armrests should go all the way up (if you want them to) when the seat is moved forward. Also, the "flat" problem is really insanity-- how could they have missed that!?! I still had the best airborne sleep I've had in a long time in that seat. Finally, the light is cool, but a normal reading light might be a more useful. Overall, a pretty good hard product, but they could have done better with a little more thought and testing. The pro's and con's are about the same as with any other carriers. Very few are perfect.