FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Cheap Business and First Class Ticket offered on auction sites (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1012717-cheap-business-first-class-ticket-offered-auction-sites.html)

swiss-mike Nov 2, 2009 2:59 am

Cheap Business and First Class Ticket offered on auction sites

Does anyone have any experience with buying and using the cheap business and first class tickets offered on auction sites such as ebay? Private sellers offer TATL tickets for EUR 1'699 in Business and 2'999 in First Class (including taxes and fees). They state that the tickets are "Cooperate Vouchers" (Corporate?) and you won't get any miles... The offers are tempting pricewise, but I'm not sure what to think of it.

Rambuster Nov 2, 2009 3:03 am

I'd stay clear of this. Perhaps these vouchers are legit, but probably someone is simply selling off their mileage account balances ?
Also note, that there have been quite a few scam in the past, where only a reservation was made, the money collected and the reservation then got cancelled, leaving the buyer out of pocket.

demue Nov 2, 2009 3:55 am

Just remember the old saying: "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is." ;) There are a lot of crooks out there and as recommended by Rambuster I would stay clear of it. Best case scenario is that it is legit but then there maybe issues with mileage accruability and so forth. depends.

It maybe also be someone selling their frequent flyer miles in form of a discounted C or F ticket which again would certainly not give miles and is not allowed to start with. Yes there are mileage consolidators and so forth a mass around but still risk is involved.

If LH catches such a guy 'selling' miles in form of award tickets (they do pose as buyers from time to time I have been told) they will likely lock down the account, void the miles and all redemption tickets booked with the miles too. Then you are out of your money.

Just some thoughts. In the end it is your decision ...

Knut34 Nov 2, 2009 11:19 pm

I would just weigh risk and benefit. There is no clear yes or no.

SMK77 Nov 2, 2009 11:32 pm

Given that one can purchase First Class redemptions via US Airways for around 1.000 EUR return, I am not sure whether those auctions are a steal at all...

swiss-mike Nov 3, 2009 2:38 am

Thanks for your inputs - you confirm my thoughts...

captainiglo Nov 3, 2009 9:59 am

Actually the prices are really not that good. I looked for a trip to LA earlier this year and was able to do AMS-ZRH-LAX-ZRH-AMS for €1900 on LX in Business all in...... Just a cheapo ticket to AMS on top and I had a better deal than any of these 'special offers' that usually do not even include Taxes, etc.

I would stay away from these..... on top of not collecting (or sometimes 50% in UA MileagePlus) versus me collecting full 225% :D

German-FLyer Nov 3, 2009 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 12757616)
Given that one can purchase First Class redemptions via US Airways for around 1.000 EUR return, I am not sure whether those auctions are a steal at all...

Could you clarify this? How can I get a first class return for 1000€ via US Airways? Thanks in advance!

IMH Nov 3, 2009 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by German-FLyer (Post 12761970)
How can I get a first class return for 1000€ via US Airways?

It will actually cost you a little more than that by the time you've added taxes, but not a great deal more than 1,200 EUR at today's exchange rates.

Details in this thread.

DownUnderFlyer Nov 3, 2009 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by German-FLyer (Post 12761970)
Could you clarify this? How can I get a first class return for 1000€ via US Airways? Thanks in advance!

Because you can buy the required miles in their program. You need 125k miles and the price for 100k miles is USD 1250.

azmmza Nov 3, 2009 5:32 pm

special meals in the FRA first terminal

please delete this post i thought it was a new thread, not a reply

German-FLyer Nov 4, 2009 5:01 pm

Thanks a lot, pretty good offer, especially considering the fact I need less US Airways miles than M&M miles.

Just a short question: If I can see award availability over the M&M website, can the US Airways call center book the award? Or will I run into award availability issues and be stuck with additional 100K miles in my US Airways account?

IMH Nov 4, 2009 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by German-FLyer (Post 12768467)
If I can see award availability over the M&M website, can the US Airways call center book the award? Or will I run into award availability issues and be stuck with additional 100K miles in my US Airways account?

I know that if I can see award availability, using the ANA tool or ExpertFlyer, then I'm able to book it through US. So unless you can see additional LH or LX availability because of your SEN status (someone who knows more about M&M will know whether this might be an issue) then the same should apply to you. US (unlike UA) doesn't artificially limit other carriers' award availability.

German-FLyer Nov 5, 2009 10:22 am

Just wanted to thank everyone in this post.

I don't fly US Airways that much anymore and normally credit everything to M&M, but still had around 54K dividend miles laying around. Thanks to FT I was able to secure another 106K miles and get my parents two C class tickets from FRA to MCO for about 1000€ (all in, the taxes/fees US Airways charges for LH flights are ridiculously low :D).

Thanks again, just shows what great value FT provides! ^