Connection Time LH to domestic SA at JNB

Old Oct 24, 09, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Delta Silver, HHonors Gold, Accor/Sofitel Platinum, SPG Gold
Connection Time LH to domestic SA at JNB

I'm arriving from FRA into JNB on LH in C at 8:50am into Terminal A. I have a domestic connection on SA Airlink to Hoedspruit (HDS). The quickest connection would be departing JNB to HDS at 10:30am. Is this enough time clear immigration, pick up baggage, clear customs, go to the domestic terminal, check in/check bags, clear security and still make the flight? I have never been to JNB, so I'm not familiar with the airport. This seems tight to me. How much time do you think is necessary to make this connection?

Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 25, 09, 1:40 am

Programs: LH, SA, AA
You should be fine with that connection. Immigration can be slow at times but flying upfront you should be one of the first out. Luggage should be out quickly (you have to clear customs in JNB). It normally takes me 30 to 40 minutes from the plane to the domestic check-in counters.
Old Oct 25, 09, 5:35 pm

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
The next flight is at 12.20 pm i see; are your flights on the same booking? if they are i'd go with the early flight if not id be tempted to wait the extra 1h 50 min..( u will have to collect your bags and clear customs anyway i'm just assuming that if your flights are on the same booking/pnr that you would be automatically moved to the later SAA flight if the LH flight was delayed)
Old Oct 26, 09, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Delta Silver, HHonors Gold, Accor/Sofitel Platinum, SPG Gold
Thanks for the help. The flights are not on the same booking. I believe the 12:20 would give me piece of mind and not feel rushed after the long haul flight.

Thanks again for all the help.

Search this Thread