Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inconsistencies with onboard svc.. LX vs LH shorthaul intra-Europe

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
Inconsistencies with onboard svc.. LX vs LH shorthaul intra-Europe

On a recent trip to OSL, I took LX outbound connecting in ZRH and returned on LH connecting in FRA.

The outbound flights were excellent with LX staff approaching me on both flights. On the first flight VCE-ZRH, the Purser said I was one of 3 SENs on board and wanted to thank me for my continued business. He gave me a bottle of water and a little towelette. Again, on the flight to OSL from ZRH, the Purser, Tom , said that I was the only SEN on the plane and offered to move me into C class. There was only 1 pax in C and although he didn't have an extra meal onboard, the completely empty row was all mine if I wanted. He also gave me a little bottle of water and a towelette and checked on me several times during the flight.

The return was dismal. On both flights, I saw the list of important pax that the FA had on her drink cart. I saw perhaps 5 or 6 FTLs and SENs on the list in Y, but my name was not amongst them. Not that I really need the extra recognition, but it is nice to be appreciated for throwing them my business. My BP specifically showed SEN and I even had the BP reprinted at the SEN lounge. While the flights were on-time and basic service was offered, the FAs were just short and rude. The GAs in FRA couldn't be bothered to board us on-time because they were too busy having a gab session. I saw the other GA come out from the jetway and give them the "thumbs up" to begin boarding, but they sat there for another 5 minutes just chatting until the older woman rolled her eyes and finally stood up to turn on the boarding pass checker machine. Arriving from OSL, many gates were open in A concourse, but as usual, got a remote stand, had to run across the tarmac in the rain and get on the bus. Then the 5 km ride to Terminal B, followed by the 5km hike through tunnels, 20 minute waits for elevators (only because I had heavy carryons), and even more trekking until arriving at the overcrowded, underserved Senator Lounge. I am just giving up on flying through FRA. It seems to be more hassle than it's worth. I do like MUC and prefer it to FRA, but with service reductions, flight times through MUC are not as frequent anymore.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 6:59 am

Programs: LX HON, Emirates Skywards Gold, HH diamond, Hyatt plat
Originally Posted by TravellinHusker
On a recent trip to OSL, I took LX outbound connecting in ZRH and returned on LH connecting in FRA.

The outbound flights were excellent with LX staff approaching me on both flights. On the first flight VCE-ZRH, the Purser said I was one of 3 SENs on board and wanted to thank me for my continued business. He gave me a bottle of water and a little towelette. Again, on the flight to OSL from ZRH, the Purser, Tom , said that I was the only SEN on the plane and offered to move me into C class. There was only 1 pax in C and although he didn't have an extra meal onboard, the completely empty row was all mine if I wanted. He also gave me a little bottle of water and a towelette and checked on me several times during the flight.

The return was dismal. On both flights, I saw the list of important pax that the FA had on her drink cart. I saw perhaps 5 or 6 FTLs and SENs on the list in Y, but my name was not amongst them. Not that I really need the extra recognition, but it is nice to be appreciated for throwing them my business. My BP specifically showed SEN and I even had the BP reprinted at the SEN lounge. While the flights were on-time and basic service was offered, the FAs were just short and rude. The GAs in FRA couldn't be bothered to board us on-time because they were too busy having a gab session. I saw the other GA come out from the jetway and give them the "thumbs up" to begin boarding, but they sat there for another 5 minutes just chatting until the older woman rolled her eyes and finally stood up to turn on the boarding pass checker machine. Arriving from OSL, many gates were open in A concourse, but as usual, got a remote stand, had to run across the tarmac in the rain and get on the bus. Then the 5 km ride to Terminal B, followed by the 5km hike through tunnels, 20 minute waits for elevators (only because I had heavy carryons), and even more trekking until arriving at the overcrowded, underserved Senator Lounge. I am just giving up on flying through FRA. It seems to be more hassle than it's worth. I do like MUC and prefer it to FRA, but with service reductions, flight times through MUC are not as frequent anymore.
Travellinhusker,

I think you have to distinguish between airport and on board service: there is no doubt in everybody's mind that ZRH is much better than FRA; on the other hand, it has way fewer flights.

Regarding on board service in Europe, both LX and LH are equal in Y (you get close to nothing!). On the other hand LH is far superior in C (guaranteed free center seat, better food and weekly magazines).

As far as "personal touch" goes, it is difficult to get it in Y, even if you are HON. this is the case for both airlines.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by SwissHON
Regarding on board service in Europe, both LX and LH are equal in Y (you get close to nothing!). On the other hand LH is far superior in C (guaranteed free center seat, better food and weekly magazines).
i beg to differ, i find LXs intra european C service by far better than LHs, apart from the possible occupied seat on some of LXs planes. food is way better on LX in my books and service is consistently high, while it can be hit or miss on LH...

As far as "personal touch" goes, it is difficult to get it in Y, even if you are HON. this is the case for both airlines.
again my experience on LX is 100% personal recognition, LH again hit or miss. ..
Old Oct 18, 2009, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I have enjoyed nearly 100% HON recognition on LX whereas it is below 50% on LH.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 7:28 am

Who forced you to go through FRAnkenstein's hell. I am one of the unfortunate who are forced to connect there from short haul to long haul and vv.
This place they claim to be an airport seems to get messier and messier on a monthly base. You are right connceting from non-Schengen's in B is terrible, if you arrive in C it is an ordeal

Forget the saga that they have a 45 min MCT, my experience tells if you are young and fit you will make it in 75 mins. The most disorganised line is when you exit the passport control in B and go downstairs to turn right towards the tunnel of fear with the dirty elevators good for about 100 pax / hour. Unfortunately about min 2000 / hour try to use it.

Then comes the mile long run through the A terminal, with a bit of luck your gate number is below 30, but most of my FRA-ZRH are either A38 or A40.

Frankfort ist not an airport it is a medical rehab facility!
Fly it only on doctor's prescription for those who don't exercise 3 times per week
Old Oct 18, 2009, 7:43 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fendant
You are right connceting from non-Schengen's in B is terrible... Then comes the mile long run through the A terminal, with a bit of luck your gate number is below 30, but most of my FRA-ZRH are either A38 or A40.
Last time I went through FRA about a week ago my flight arrived at A42 and the connecting flight was leaving from A40. Unfortunately the flight arrived from non-Schengen (UK) so pax had to be bussed to the B international arrival whence I had to trek all the way back to A40.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:09 am
hch

I think you have to distinguish between airport and on board service: there is no doubt in everybody's mind that ZRH is much better than FRA; on the other hand, it has way fewer flights.
I'd prefer FRA over ZRH all the time. The lounges in ZRH are far worse than FRA, as is the security setup. And both of them can't compare to MUC.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by hch
I'd prefer FRA over ZRH all the time. The lounges in ZRH are far worse than FRA, as is the security setup. And both of them can't compare to MUC.
how come? the ZRH FCL is perfectly fine, no? i agree one the security setup though...
Old Oct 18, 2009, 3:12 pm

Programs: LH/OS SEN, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by hch
Huh? I absolutely disagree. No FCT/FCL for me, but the C lounges in ZRH are never as crowded as in FRA and they do offer by far better standards. You have the priority lines in ZRH which are usually working quite OK, and connecting is like a breeze ...
And not to mention the pleasure of enjoying Swiss' C service onboard - which I usually do when connecting in ZRH, while connecting in FRA usually gets me into the arms of some LH dragons ...
Old Oct 18, 2009, 5:04 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by sentom
how come? the ZRH FCL is perfectly fine, no? i agree one the security setup though...
Even the SEN Lounge is ok, although the warm food selection is, sorry to say, dreadful. I enjoy the cranberry juice and Rivella and I just love the gummybears.

But seriously, what is so awful about the security setup?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 7:16 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I have enjoyed nearly 100% HON recognition on LX whereas it is below 50% on LH.
Haven't done any LX flight since I became HON. However LH HON recognition in my case is less than 5%. On one flight (STR-FRA) a few weeks ago, I got offered a magazine flying in Y. That is it. Seems like on almost all domestic or EU flights they can't be bothered. Not even if you fly C. Seriously, even if the limo driver brings you into the plane, tells them your name, and you are the only one sitting in C. Don't believe they bother at all.

On the international flights it is actually better. It is like 100% for me so far. The purser bothers to show up and introduce herself/himself and does instruct the crew properly. However on my usual routes they have at max 2 HON on board. Actually the FA working in Y are better than the ones in C when it comes to proper recognition.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by mh492
Haven't done any LX flight since I became HON. However LH HON recognition in my case is less than 5%. On one flight (STR-FRA) a few weeks ago, I got offered a magazine flying in Y. That is it. Seems like on almost all domestic or EU flights they can't be bothered. Not even if you fly C. Seriously, even if the limo driver brings you into the plane, tells them your name, and you are the only one sitting in C. Don't believe they bother at all.

On the international flights it is actually better. It is like 100% for me so far. The purser bothers to show up and introduce herself/himself and does instruct the crew properly. However on my usual routes they have at max 2 HON on board. Actually the FA working in Y are better than the ones in C when it comes to proper recognition.
My conclusion about HONdom: It's a program for ground services, little to do with in-flight services.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 1:22 am

Programs: LX HON, Emirates Skywards Gold, HH diamond, Hyatt plat
Originally Posted by Rambuster
My conclusion about HONdom: It's a program for ground services, little to do with in-flight services.
Agree. And I think this is right. After all, what does recognition do besides ego stroking?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:06 pm
hch

Agree. And I think this is right. After all, what does recognition do besides ego stroking?
Well, given the constant discussion here that ego striking seems to be a very cost effective way to make some people happy. As a company I would make sure to implement it efficiently.

That beeing said I'm quite happy with none or at least very low-key "recognition".
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:15 pm
hch

Originally Posted by sentom
Primarily the lack of good places to work, I'm not going to a lounge to sip champaign but I generally prefer to get work done. And if don't work the good selection isn't too nice either, especially at breakfast time.

And all that is if I go to the FCL, which is rather inconvenient for long-haul departures. When you have to go to the Bellevue lounge in E it's just a disaster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.