Special procedures for LH 686 FRA - TLV

Old Oct 12, 09, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Special procedures for LH 686 FRA - TLV

Do *G flyers (and premium cabin pax) have a priority line for the special pre-departure procedures ex FRA to TLV?
Old Oct 12, 09, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum; Hertz 5-star, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FFFlyer View Post
Do *G flyers (and premium cabin pax) have a priority line for the special pre-departure procedures ex FRA to TLV?
Last time I flew there was just one security line at the gate. No special line for anyone - if i recall they had 2 X-rays and 2 metal detectors. Went very quick, perhaps 5 min at most.
Old Oct 12, 09, 11:21 pm

Programs: LH SEN for Life
Originally Posted by FFFlyer View Post
Last time I was there "NO".

If you flew in on F or are flying F then you will get ride to gate and skip the procedure.

Shofar
Old Oct 13, 09, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Shofar View Post
Last time I was there "NO".

If you flew in on F or are flying F then you will get ride to gate and skip the procedure.

Shofar
I guess that's also why there are so many HONs based in Israel.
Old Oct 14, 09, 2:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More forum

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Some days ago I've been on that flight in C and there was no priority line. Actually the "special pre-departure procedure" wasn't that special anyway. Just a second security screening by very friendly staff. Flights to TLV normally depart at Gate C13. Do not enter the C 13 gate area too early as there is nothing you can do there apart from sitting around waiting (There is no lounge or business section!). You'll enter to sterile area with a standard security check and than there is a second one right in front of the gate.

If you want to use one of the fairly new C lounges than you we'll have a security screening right before you enter the pier with the gates 14-16 (the Lounge is located at C14). When you leave the lounge you just bypass the security screening area, go to Gate C13 and will have the actual TLV screening.
Old Oct 14, 09, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

Thanks all.
I arrive from N America and have a tight one hour connx.
In the past, I recall a series of checks - maybe it was one to enter the Pier and another at the gate.
Recall long lines for the B744 aircraft capacity (3-400 pax) and wishing for a Priority Line of some sort for C/class or *G pax.
Any advice welcome.
FFFlyer
Old Oct 18, 09, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum; Hertz 5-star, IHG Plat
I just flew last week, and here is the current status

Gate C13, which is NOT in the sterlie area, so no security before you get to the gate. At the gate they have 2 X-ray and metal detectors, so the line moves fast. No special line for anyone ...

1 hour might be tight as it can be a LONG walk over to C13, and they start boarding 45 mins before the flight.
Old Oct 18, 09, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bosbjg View Post
I just flew last week, and here is the current status

Gate C13, which is NOT in the sterlie area, so no security before you get to the gate. At the gate they have 2 X-ray and metal detectors, so the line moves fast. No special line for anyone ...

1 hour might be tight as it can be a LONG walk over to C13, and they start boarding 45 mins before the flight.
I flew last week as well (and plan to fly once again this week).

I can confirm all of the above, except the "NOT in the sterile area".
I don't know what is defined "sterile area", but in order to fly out of C13 to TLV, you pass 2 security checks: the "regular" one (same like C14-C16) and another "specific" one (for C13), on which they usually do me the "electronic articles" check:
Rubbing some kind of material on my electronic stuff (laptop, charger, cables, etc), go to some kind of a machine, telling me there will be an answer in 3 minutes, and after 3 minutes letting me go.

Good luck on your 1 hour connection - it may be tight for the long walk.
Old Oct 18, 09, 3:32 pm

Programs: price is a king
Originally Posted by cafri View Post
Rubbing some kind of material on my electronic stuff (laptop, charger, cables, etc), go to some kind of a machine, telling me there will be an answer in 3 minutes, and after 3 minutes letting me go.
Got it once in FRA (heading UA 747 to SFO) - asked quitely "drugs or explosives?", the answer was "both". On my way back I did look closer at the machine for "testing" that material and it was designated to check for remains of the explosive components. Interesting stuff.

mf
Old Oct 18, 09, 5:52 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by MichalFKowalik View Post
Got it once in FRA (heading UA 747 to SFO) - asked quitely "drugs or explosives?", the answer was "both". On my way back I did look closer at the machine for "testing" that material and it was designated to check for remains of the explosive components. Interesting stuff.

mf
It's a gas chromatograph. In the US they call them puffer machines, in Israel they pretty much belong to standard procedure in security checks and can be found at every single security check lane.

IIRC at Ben Gurion they use this one:

http://www.smithsdetection.com/eng/Document_Scanner.php

Last edited by mamb0; Oct 18, 09 at 5:58 pm
Old Oct 19, 09, 3:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More forum

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by cafri View Post
I can confirm all of the above, except the "NOT in the sterile area".
I don't know what is defined "sterile area", but in order to fly out of C13 to TLV, you pass 2 security checks: the "regular" one (same like C14-C16) and another "specific" one (for C13), on which they usually do me the "electronic articles" check:
That's my experience as well: two checks.

Originally Posted by MichalFKowalik View Post
Lucky you. I don't know why but I have a pretty good ratio to score an extra check. Staff is normally very friendly and if you ask they explain in detail what they do and how the test works. If you travel with 2 Notebooks or a bit more tech stuff than you have a chance of almost 100% to get a special screening. Normally it doesn't take more than 2-3 minutes.
Old Oct 19, 09, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by totti View Post
If you travel with . . . a bit more tech stuff than you have a chance of almost 100% to get a special screening. Normally it doesn't take more than 2-3 minutes.
That's me...

Search this Thread