Santa Monica or Beverly Hills

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2008, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC

We're planning to stay 5 nights in LA in August but can't make up our minds on where to stay: Santa Monica or BH ?

What are the Pros/cons ?
Old May 20, 2008, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

also depends what types of accommodations youre considering
Old May 20, 2008, 11:53 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Los Angeles Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 20, 2008, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by fredsxb
We're planning to stay 5 nights in LA in August but can't make up our minds on where to stay: Santa Monica or BH ?

What are the Pros/cons ?
Santa Monica and Beverly Hills are really only a few minutes apart, yet very different. In any event, you will want a car.
Beverly Hills is known for high-end shopping, fine dining and some excellent hotels.
Santa Monica is close to the beach, which could be a big plus in August, particularly, if you stay in one of the beachfront hotels. There are a great variety of restaurants, and the city if more laid-back and casual than BH.
I think a great deal depends on your budget and the type of accommodations you are seeking. Also, S.M. will be cooler due to the ocean breezes.
Old May 20, 2008, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I would look at where you'll be visiting... if it's focused to a few places centrally located (tough in LA) then that might answer your question for you. If you'll be all over the place, that makes it harder. My first trip to LA was a 6-day vacation and we were all over the place, from Universal City down to Laguna Beach, Malibu out to Anaheim. Seeing that we would be everywhere but didn't want to change hotels, we stayed at LAX. It's not close to anywhere we were visiting, but was a good point-of-return from everywhere. Rates are much better also (sample week June 16-21 on Hotwire has 3.5* for $82/night and 4* for $114/night), though not somewhere you'll want to be walking at night. If you do want to go a bit more luxurious, Hotwire has either the Hyatt or Inter-Continental (could be either based on betterbidding.com) for $179/night that week. If you're looking for a balance maybe try a split of LAX (for if/when you'll be south of downtown) and BH.
Old May 20, 2008, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
We will be staying 5 nights in LA at the beginning of a 20 day West coast trip next August and we'll be spending our last night in LA as well just before flying back to France.
We have decided where we will stay on our last night: The Huntley Hotel in Santa Monica (their penthouse restaurant/bar is a must-see/go!)

As for our first 5 nights: At first, we wanted to stay in BH at any of the following hotels: Peninsula, Bel Air, BH Hotel or Raffles.
After checking these hotels websites and reviews on FT, we figured we did not really like their "old" style and felt more enclined to stay in a more contemporary hotel: W Hotel Westwood or Sofitel L.A. (which is supposed to be well located in BH from what I've read)

A friend of mine lives in Santa Monica and kinda convinced me it'd be nicer to stay there. We're looking at Shutters on the Beach or Casa Del Mar. We, however, do not really feel enthusiastic about these 2 hotels.

We're probably gonna go on studio tours and would like to go eat at night in nice restaurants. We would like to be able to walk from our hotel to wherever we're gonna eat in the evening (we will rent a car though but mostly plan on using it during the day).

My friend really discouraged me from staying at the W Hotel in Westwood...
Old May 20, 2008, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
We're probably gonna go on studio tours and would like to go eat at night in nice restaurants. We would like to be able to walk from our hotel to wherever we're gonna eat in the evening (we will rent a car though but mostly plan on using it during the day).
If you insist on eating dinner within walking distance, you are going to cut your choice of nice restaurants to a tiny handful wherever you eventually settle on...

L.A. is not much of a city for walking in with the exception of a select few neighborhoods. Santa Monica might give you opportunity to stroll along the promenade or the pier... But any specific nice restaurant is apt as not to be a mile or three from where you stay.

Plan a nice walk around a beach, park, or tourist area....and leave your moving around LA to more substantial methods.
Old May 20, 2008, 4:16 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Santa Monica: Home of the Homeless!

Beverly Hills: No Riff-Raff allowed!
Old May 20, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
Sort of surprised no one has mentioned these hotels, Chateau Marmont
http://www.chateaumarmont.com/
The Avalon, not for everyone but definitely has its charms
http://www.avalonbeverlyhills.com/

The ultra luxe Peninsula Beverly Hills
http://beverlyhills.peninsula.com/
And Raffles Beverly Hills
http://beverlyhills.raffles.com/

As for Santa Monica there is
The Huntley Hotel
http://www.thehuntleyhotel.com/about.php
The Lowes
http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Hotels.../Overview.aspx

Hope this helps
SAM

Last edited by samftla; May 20, 2008 at 4:33 pm
Old May 20, 2008, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA/UA
I would say maybe try Beverly Hills as that is about 1/2 point from LA proper to Santa Monica.. not to mention there is more happening and it is a very nice area and nieghborhood.. I live in Hollywood and would definitely recommend the Hollywood Walk of Fame for some morning stroll.. evenings are very busy with tourists and traffic

The hotels you mentioned in Beverly Hills are exceptional and you will not be disappointed... $$$$ though.. and far beyond my budget to even try... The Sofitel is VERY nice and VERY central located in Beverly Hills

also look on www.yelp.com for hotel/ restaurant reviews.. they are great and I am on there as http://jumbojetla.yelp.com Great site for unbaised reviews of restaurants all over the LA area!

It has been very wierd weather lately from 70-100s over only a few days (but in Aug expect 90-100 city and 85-90 beach)..Santa Monica Pier also gets their new Ferris wheel this Thrusday

and YES you will need a car!! LA is very spralled out but everything is "oh about 25 min away" (very common saying)
Old May 20, 2008, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We will be staying 5 nights in LA at the beginning of a 20 day West coast trip next August and we'll be spending our last night in LA as well just before flying back to France.
We have decided where we will stay on our last night: The Huntley Hotel in Santa Monica (their penthouse restaurant/bar is a must-see/go!)
It's been some time since I've been to the Huntley, but it used to be a major hangout for me and a good friend -- we'd go up to the bar and spend the night drinking. I don't remember it being particularly nice, though there is a good view from up there.

As for our first 5 nights: At first, we wanted to stay in BH at any of the following hotels: Peninsula, Bel Air, BH Hotel or Raffles.
After checking these hotels websites and reviews on FT, we figured we did not really like their "old" style and felt more enclined to stay in a more contemporary hotel: W Hotel Westwood or Sofitel L.A. (which is supposed to be well located in BH from what I've read)
The Sofitel is nice, as are the old-style hotels you've listed. I would not recommend the W Westwood for a number of reasons. It leases its bar to a separate concession and draws a lot of noisy B-list wannabes. You'll be hassled trying to get into the lobby and the hotel, itself, is not that nice. Management is indifferent and the location isn't great -- Westwood is home to the UCLA campus and caters specifically to them.

A friend of mine lives in Santa Monica and kinda convinced me it'd be nicer to stay there. We're looking at Shutters on the Beach or Casa Del Mar. We, however, do not really feel enthusiastic about these 2 hotels.
Shutters is right on the beach and, from what I understand, is a very nice hotel.

We're probably gonna go on studio tours and would like to go eat at night in nice restaurants.
If you're interested in studio tours, I'd suggest you contact either Paramount or Warner Brothers/Burbank Studio in advance and make reservations. These two tours will let you see how films are actually produced in Hollywood. The Universal Studios Tour has absolutely nothing to do with the film industry, except that part of it goes through a small section of the Universal back lot. It is strictly an amusement park/tourist attraction.

There are nice restaurants all over LA -- Beverly Hills, West Los Angeles and Santa Monica all have many good places to eat.

We would like to be able to walk from our hotel to wherever we're gonna eat in the evening (we will rent a car though but mostly plan on using it during the day).
Walk? In LA? Hmmm. Perhaps Shutters -- there are lots of restaurants at the beach area, some of the pretty good. LA and Santa Monica are not walking cities -- everyone drives, takes taxis or public transportation (and I do not recommend public transportation).

My friend really discouraged me from staying at the W Hotel in Westwood...
Your friends are right. Listen to them.
Old May 20, 2008, 6:11 pm

One hotel I rarely see mentioned is The Oceana http://www.hoteloceanasantamonica.com/
The location is great, I have friends who stay there and love it. You won't be right on the sand, as you are at Shutters or Casa Del Mar, but the views are outstanding. Within walking distance of very good restaurants (Ivy, The Lobster, Ocean Ave Seafood, etc.). I DO NOT recommend The Sofitel. I haven't stayed there, but I loathe the location. It's right across from The Beverly Center (ugly shopping mall), Cedars Sinai Hospital and is NOT within walking distance of Beverly Hills; although it is within walking distance of Robertson Blvd shopping. I agree with previous poster's assessment of The W. The hotel is almost too hip and there is nothing going on in Westwood.
Had lunch recently at The Penthouse at Huntley. Lovely venue, decent food.
Old May 20, 2008, 10:00 pm

Programs: FT Member # 642
Shutters on the Beach or Casa Del Mar

Both are great but I like Casa Del Mar best.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
If you like to get some exercise, you can always rent some bikes and ride on the bike path next to the ocean. Recently, I spent a three day weekend at the Ritz in Marina Del Rey and ended up biking 30 miles in two days. You can cover a lot of ground that way and when you see a restaurant you like, lock up the bike and enjoy
Old May 26, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: FT Member # 642
I like the W Westwood it is about midway between BH and SM. Great pool with cabanas. If you are SPG Plat you can get a nice suite. It's a younger crowd so that may be why your friend said no to it...not sure. I have stayed here a couple time just for the pool but not because it is big or really nice, I have come here because it is a big party and good people watching.

But I would stay in SM if I was given a choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.