FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   Which hotel is better for a tourist at LA for 4 nights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/763293-hotel-better-tourist-la-4-nights.html)

k3nnis Dec 2, 2007 1:09 am

Which hotel is better for a tourist at LA for 4 nights?

Hi All,

Just wondering if you guys can help me out here. Will be in LA for 4 nights and very likely i will get a rental car. Note: i won't get it at LAX. I will get it from nearby at either of these hotels....

I am comparing between the Crowne plaza Beverly Hills and the IC Century city...

I will do the normal touristy things. Rodeo drive, nice restaurants, universal studios, hollywood, disneyland at anaheim....

Cheers,
Kenn.

SkiAdcock Dec 4, 2007 12:22 pm

The IC is nice; haven't been to CP. But really they're only about 5 minutes apart, so there's no differential in terms of location to all the things you want to do.

BTW - Disneyland is NOT close to BH/CC, so that will be the only thing really on your list that will require a longer drive ('bout an hour).

I'd also recommend going to The Getty while you're visiting. Great museum, fabulous views from Catalina Island to downtown LA.

Cheers.

kef0913 Dec 4, 2007 3:59 pm

Pick the one that you get the better rate at or that appeals to you in some way. Like Sharon said, no real difference in terms of location.

Just so you are aware. Beverly Hills is not really what one would call freeway accessible. Though Century City is a little closer to the 405. Thanks to LA traffic, you are really 15-20 minutes (though only 2-3 miles) from the nearest freeway (405) and nearly half an hour from the 10 or 101. If most of what you will be doing is in BH and the Westside you will be fine, but if you are going to go to Universal, Anaheim, downtown (don't ask me why you would do that) and driving around a bit out to Pasadena and such, you might want to consider something a little closer to a freeway.

Have fun!

Night Flyer Dec 4, 2007 5:49 pm

Although these two hotels are comparable in location, IMO they're not similar hotels. The IC used to be a Park Hyatt and before that, a JW Marriott; it's a little more upscale in feel. I am not a fan of the Crowne Plaza (I've stayed there) but of course there's room for disagreement. If the rates are comparable I think you'll find the IC has a cleaner, nicer, more upscale feel.

Since Rodeo Drive is one of your destinations, you can walk there from the Crowne Plaza a little easier, it's just a few long blocks up Beverly Boulevard past stores and restaurants. The walk from the IC to downtown Beverly Hills would be a lot more sterile, past mainly office buildings until you reached the Peninsula Hotel on the outskirts of Beverly Hills. You can of course cab it but either is a short ride and you'll have to deal with a cabby with a bad attitude based on your $4.00 fare.

The IC is much closer to the Century City Shopping Center if you plan to do any mall-type shopping while you're here. A crazy thought I know but it IS December . . .

obscure2k Dec 4, 2007 5:53 pm

You may want to consider the Luxe Hotel. It is just off the 405 in the Brentwood/Bel Air section of Los Angeles. Whenever our relatives come to Los Angeles, they stay there (also, it is close to my home). They have always been very pleased with the accommodations and service. Rooms are quite large. It is very close to the Getty and they provide shuttle service to the Getty.

peteropny Dec 5, 2007 8:06 am

I haven't stayed at the IC (as such) but was a regular when it was the Park Hyatt (and it was one of my favorite Hyatts). They still have a hotel car that will take you to "downtown Beverly Hills". FWIW, this property has been coming up on Priceline/Hotwire quite regularly recently.

B-HQC Dec 7, 2007 7:50 am

I second The Luxe. I discovered this place recently, and it is definitely a great property at a great price.

obscure2k Dec 7, 2007 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by B-HQC (Post 8854619)
I second The Luxe. I discovered this place recently, and it is definitely a great property at a great price.

Also has an excellent restaurant and nice bar. ^