Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

Old Dec 13, 2008, 2:50 pm

Bringing non-citizen gf through immigration together at LAX?

Not sure where to put this so I'm putting here as we'll be entering the US via LAX.

As I carry a US passport (but my gf doesn't, and doesn't have a greencard), would I be able to bring her through immigration together with me or would we have to queue separately?

Thanks all.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Unless she is immigrating legally (1st entry into U.S. as a legal immigrant), I'd say it's asking for trouble (the ICE inspector may think she has no intent to return home and may decide to deny entry/deport).
Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:04 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I know with my wife before she had her green card an immigration officer in Chicago told me that since I am a citizen we can use the Citizen/Resident line. I don't know if that applies to girlfriends or not but I would take my chance at the shorter line.

Everybody makes immigration officers out to be so horrible but they deal with this stuff all the time and since you are a citizen I would just to to the citizen line.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:14 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Unless she is immigrating legally (1st entry into U.S. as a legal immigrant), I'd say it's asking for trouble (the ICE inspector may think she has no intent to return home and may decide to deny entry/deport).
Just by using the citizen line along with her boyfriend instead of using the visitors line? I am sure the immigration officer will ask questions but that would happen no matter which line they use and don't think the process with the immigration officer will be any dependent upon the line they choose.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:06 pm

Thanks all. I did some digging on the 'net and I thought this one was a useful link:

http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/i...hp/t65794.html

I think we'll just ask and see if it's possible. Worse comes to worse, I did put a 4 hour layover at LAX ...

Old Feb 12, 2009, 8:50 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm planning on flying in to LAX on TG794 from BKK which arrives at 19:20 (7:20pm) on a Friday evening and I was contemplating catching a UA flight to SFO at 22:45 (10:45pm). Given the fun at immigration in LAX with huge lines does anyone have experience clearing LAX passport & customs at that time and whether it reasonable to try to make that connection or should I go for a flight the next morning to be safe? Thanks.

Last edited by demue; Feb 12, 2009 at 9:07 pm
Old Feb 13, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: FT Member # 642
Originally Posted by demue
I'm planning on flying in to LAX on TG794 from BKK which arrives at 19:20 (7:20pm) on a Friday evening and I was contemplating catching a UA flight to SFO at 22:45 (10:45pm). Given the fun at immigration in LAX with huge lines does anyone have experience clearing LAX passport & customs at that time and whether it reasonable to try to make that connection or should I go for a flight the next morning to be safe? Thanks.
A lot of international flights come in at that time so it is hard to say. I would buy a refundable ticket on UA for that night and if you don't make the connection then cancel it and go in the morning.

My one word of advice...when the door opens on the plane...run...run as fast as you can to immigration. You may look stupid but I swear I have ended up way ahead of thousands because I did that. I usually end up in a line of 200 and shortly after there are 1,000 people behind me.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Arriving internationally in LAX is a disgrace.

I love flying LX but arriving on LX40 is a desaster in the evening with thousands of people in the hall. After immigration you wait even longer for customs

Last time I agreed to do a drug test for a customs dog... what can I say, he didnt alert. Possibly he was overtime already as well !

Fastest experience ever was arriving from HKG on UA. My bag was first and nobody in front of me in T6.

TBIT developed into a big no-go for me... the most convenient is flying into DFW and from there over to LAX ^ Gotta love that airport !
Old May 8, 2009, 1:16 pm

I think TG794 arrives at LAX at 21:25 -- not 19:20. You're confusing departure time from BKK.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:54 am

I agree that LAX is a disgrace and a very bad welcome to foreign guests or Americans coming home. It's even worse for someone who does not read or speak English!

Since SNA has good service to US hub airports, I prefer to enter the US via a friendlier and more efficient hub airport (ORD, DFW) and connect to a SNA flight. It avoids LAX immigration and customs, gives some time to stretch mid-trip, and shortens the freeway drive home.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Flying club
Arriving VS007 on 28th Aug

Hi Guys,

Am slightly scared looking at this.

Just booked my tickets for the summer and am arriving on VS007 on 28th ETA - 14:35. Connection out is on AA from (I think) T4.

Immigration's gonna be busy in the early afternoon?
Old Dec 24, 2009, 1:13 am

LAX Customs/TSA wait time for non-residents & 1.5hr before (non-connecting) flight

Hi everyone. I really hope I do get some help here since I have been calling around and no one could help me. (>.<)

So my parents are coming to visit me from Bangkok on January 20, 2010 after a year since we met. (Yay!!!) They have 10 years (multiple) US visa so that's not an issue.

My concern is that they are flying via Thai Airways, arriving at LAX at 7.20PM on Jan 20. And their next flight (not a connecting flight) is UA6470 from LAX to Salt Lake City and is departing at 8.53PM. So this means that if none of these flights are delayed, they will have roughly 1.5 hour to go through immigration, baggage claims (they will be using maximum benefit of baggage allowance that is 4 bags of 23kg./50lb. each), then customs and then wait for a bus to take them to another terminal, which I believe it's terminal 7 or 8?, check in their baggage again, go through TSA, and run to the gate..........all this in one and a half hour!!?!

Anyway, I thought this over and since the tickets are all paid for and confirmed, the best I could think of was to pay $126 more to United Airlines to upgrade their tickets with Premium Travel package, which claims to allow flyers to check in faster/go through TSA faster/boarding faster.

My question is
1. Will they most likely be making it....or not at all? Considering it's Wednesday after 7.30pm?
2. The UA tickets were booked through their own website not a third party, if they really missed the flight will they be put into the next day morning flight?
3. How does this premier line work? Where and how exactly do they do in order to try to make it? I kind of need a walk-through. I normally fly to/from SFO. And my parents came here like 10+ years ago.
4. How likely will this UA flight be delayed? For the first time I hope a flight to be delayed...lol

Thank you so much in advance! You are helping a grad student sleep better! It's already too exciting to meet beloved parents, I really don't need any more excitement (^.^)

Thanks again!
-May
Old Dec 25, 2009, 10:15 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Close to zero chance to make this connection, their only chance is if the bags are interlined (tagged to SLC from BKK) as this would allow dropping the bags at TBIT after customs rather than having to check bags at United. UA has no obligation to put them on a flight the next day if they arrive late -- this is the difference with separate tickets, you take the risk of delays (same ticket costs more because the airline takes the risk and pays for missed connections). Worst case they have to buy new tickets the next day; best case UA puts them on stand-by (but note that first flight each morning tends to be sold out at LAX, so it is likely to be an afternoon flight the next day). Flights from BKK tend to have longer customs checks than some other arrivals (as they tend to contain more contraband, so they are profiled for greater inspections). Combined with today's terrorist attempt against a US airline -- causing more security checks for the next month or 2 -- it is a sure thing that 90 min connection at LAX will not work for TBIT to UA (they are at opposite ends of the airport).
Old Dec 26, 2009, 6:25 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH, *wood
The good news is that Thai Airways is part of Star Alliance, however, you didn't leave much time for their connection. They can show their connecting itinerary at their originating airport, however, the computers may not allow the connection to be printed on the bagtags.

Unfortunately, the issue with timing will be how full the flight is and whether it arrives with other big jets. If your parents are flying upfront with bags tagged for priority, it could still take an hour just to clear immigration/customs. The problems with delays tends to be how full the halls become when multiple 747s arrive at the same time.

Whether or not UA flight is delayed, won't help if your parents have to check bags. LAX is known to cut off baggage checkin up to 45 min prior to departure.

Your best bet is to have them ship their luggage and carry on essentials. If you have their itinerary, you should be able to check them in online for their connection to secure their seats. they can always have their boarding passes reprinted at the ticket counter.

BTW, welcome to FT.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:01 pm

OP- So, did your parents make the connection? If not, how was it resolved? I', sure you're having a great time with them.

FYI there are massive check-in lines at LAX for international flights after the terrorist bomb attempt. There have been 2-3 hour security lines and many are missing their international flights. I hope your parents have plenty of connecting time on the homeward trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.