FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/736477-consolidated-customs-immigration-lax-thread.html)

TWA884 Oct 8, 2015 11:32 am

The Federal Inspection Facility in Terminal 4 is closed and, as far as I know, there are no plans to reopen it.

Immigration and customs inspections for arriving AA passengers take place at TBIT. You flight should arrive at TBIT; in the unlikely event that it arrives at T4, you will be bused to TBIT for processing.

TWA884 Oct 8, 2015 12:10 pm

P.S. Take a look at this thread in the American Airlines forum:

bzcat Oct 8, 2015 12:37 pm

Currently, there are 3 possibilities for AA135 arrivals:

1. Arrive at TBIT. This is the preferred outcome. You just walk out the plane and to immigration hall.

2. Arrive at remote stand. You will be bused to TBIT.

3. Arrive at T4. You will be bused to TBIT.

mikem004 Oct 8, 2015 2:22 pm

My bet is that AA135 will arrive at T4. Option #2 or #3 means I will probably have to get on a bus at some stage.

mikem004 Oct 29, 2015 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 25536762)
Currently, there are 3 possibilities for AA135 arrivals:

1. Arrive at TBIT. This is the preferred outcome. You just walk out the plane and to immigration hall.

2. Arrive at remote stand. You will be bused to TBIT.

3. Arrive at T4. You will be bused to TBIT.

When I travelled a couple of weeks back, we got option #3.
Deplaned, up stairs and short walk to adjacent gate, then down stairs. I was in row41 at the front of economy and easily got on the 2nd bus. Only a short 5 min bus ride to TBIT.
Immigration took about 45 mins. Would have been quicker, but an incoming plane from China landed about the same time. This seemed to tie up some of the immigration booths, as they had to wait for translator assistance.

Crazydre Dec 3, 2015 10:00 am

Immigration at LAX Tom Bradley Terminal

Hello, I'm flying to LAX soon with my younger brother. He's a first-time ESTA visitor, I a returning one.

When I was in New York recently, at JFK T4 there were signs for "first-time ESTA visitors/visitors with visas" (Manual control) and "US citizens/Permanent residents/returning ESTA visitors" (APC kiosks). Back then I went for the former as it was my first visit to the US (on any passport, in other words ever).

Now, I know the CBP site basically says first-time ESTA visitors must be processed manually. However, I have read in various Forums that at LAX, there is just one sign "ESTA" which leads to the APC kiosks.

Does that mean even a first-time ESTA visitor can use the APC kiosks at LAX?

Any clarification from recent travellers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Mabuk dan gila Dec 7, 2015 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Crazydre (Post 25807314)
Now, I know the CBP site basically says first-time ESTA visitors must be processed manually. However, I have read in various Forums that at LAX, there is just one sign "ESTA" which leads to the APC kiosks.

Does that mean even a first-time ESTA visitor can use the APC kiosks at LAX?

Any clarification from recent travellers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

At TBIT specifically they have numerous contract workers standing around specifically directing "ESTA visitors with at least one previous visit to the US on their current passport" to use the APC stations. It doesn't even apply to me but the rule is drilled into my head due to incessant repetition during my passes through TBIT. So yes, they are quite specific that first-time ESTA visitors can NOT use the APC's at LAX TBIT.

Crazydre Dec 11, 2015 10:54 am

Super, thanks heaps!

Crazydre Dec 12, 2015 5:26 am

Btw, one more Thing: are VWP passports stamped by the CBP officer after using the Kiosk? Some source say the receipt is stamped instead, some that the passport is, and some that it varies. Wouldn't exactly be bothered by a passport stamp but it would be a plus not to get one.

robertr Apr 9, 2016 2:08 am

LAX Arrival Hall Procedure

Can anyone confirm, if after arrival at Tom Bradley International,whether non US visitors can proceed to the counter together as a de facto couple or do you have to wait for the next available booth & proceed singularly?

Kiwi Flyer Apr 9, 2016 3:46 am

You can go together.

MSPeconomist Apr 9, 2016 4:36 pm

You can if you're a "family." If you're not, they might not notice, but I would never go through immigration and customs with someone that I did not know extremely well. If there's a problem, you could have trouble too.

robertr Apr 11, 2016 2:04 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 26462079)
You can if you're a "family." If you're not, they might not notice, but I would never go through immigration and customs with someone that I did not know extremely well. If there's a problem, you could have trouble too.

Well I would think that I know my de facto partner considering I have known her for 22 years.

I was just concerned with the different surnames on our passports & whether that does not constitute a "family".

bzcat Apr 11, 2016 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by robertr (Post 26467604)
Well I would think that I know my de facto partner considering I have known her for 22 years.

I was just concerned with the different surnames on our passports & whether that does not constitute a "family".

You are fine to approach the counter together. The worse thing is the immigration officer will ask one of you to step back in line. But I don't think that will happen especially if you only fill out one custom declaration form (signifying that you are traveling together).

And besides, not all married people have the same name... my wife refuses to change hers and I wasn't going to change my name ;) And in some countries (e.g. most east Asian ones) it is actually highly unusual for married female to change her name so immigration officers at LAX should know better than assume "family" all share the same name.

robertr Apr 14, 2016 1:31 am

Thank you for your responses, we have flown in 4 times previously & have proceeded to the booth separately,however I am concious of one of us being delayed by an officer & the immigration people don't like you waiting on the other side (they make you move on)

Mlee888 Jun 6, 2016 4:37 pm

New passport ESTA traveller, took me more than 2 hours to get through immigration.

My arrival was 1pm at Tom Bradley.

My friend arrived 4pm same terminal and took 20 mins only.

naswi Jun 15, 2016 8:10 pm

I will be on AA 170 NRT to LAX (June 26). Based on the history on FlightAware, it may arrive at T4. Can someone please confirm if we will take buses to TBIT?

bzcat Jun 16, 2016 11:18 am

Originally Posted by naswi (Post 26785186)
I will be on AA 170 NRT to LAX (June 26). Based on the history on FlightAware, it may arrive at T4. Can someone please confirm if we will take buses to TBIT?

The two wide body capable gates on the west side of T4 (41, 43) have direct tunnel access to TBIT FIS so you will walk (actually a shorter walk than from the far end of TBIT).

The wide body gates at the end of T4 pier (46-49) have no access to TBIT FIS so you will be bused to TBIT. I believe AA is in the process of converting some (all?) of these gates to narrow body use.

The narrow body gates at the east side of T4 (40, 42) have no access to TBIT FIS so lots of Mexico and Central America arrivals are bused to TBIT as well.

Edit: Flightaware shows AA170 has been arriving at either 41, 43, or TBIT for the last 2 weeks.

naswi Jun 16, 2016 11:28 am

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 26787925)
The two wide body capable gates on the west side of T4 (41, 43) have direct tunnel access to TBIT FIS so you will walk (actually a shorter walk than from the far end of TBIT).

The wide body gates at the end of T4 pier (46-49) have no access to TBIT FIS so you will be bused to TBIT. I believe AA is in the process of converting some (all?) of these gates to narrow body use.

The narrow body gates at the east side of T4 (40, 42) have no access to TBIT FIS so lots of Mexico and Central America arrivals are bused to TBIT as well.

Edit: Flightaware shows AA170 has been arriving at either 41, 43, or TBIT for the last 2 weeks.

THANK YOU so much for the information. Based on flightaware it will be either 41 or 43 so glad to know that there is a tunnel vs bus transfer.

naswi Jun 26, 2016 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 26787925)

Just returned from my Hong Kong MR, we arrived at 41. As BZCAT mentioned, the tunnel is open. It was about 10 mins walk. For me, it was fun to see this part of LAX.

FYI, the restrooms aren't available until you are the Inspection Area.

ASUDan130 Jul 24, 2016 6:32 pm

Hello I am arriving business class around 7ish PM on a Friday later this summer. I don't have GE. How busy is customs is at this time? I am a US Citizen. Would using the kiosks or going straight into line be the quickest way through out of customs?

ASUDan130 Jul 25, 2016 11:57 am

Originally Posted by ASUDan130 (Post 26962828)
Hello I am arriving business class around 7ish PM on a Friday later this summer. I don't have GE. How busy is customs is at this time? I am a US Citizen. Would using the kiosks or going straight into line be the quickest way through out of customs?

This is a good question and was wondering this as well?

bzcat Jul 25, 2016 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by ASUDan130 (Post 26962828)

First, which terminal are you arriving? T2, TBIT, T4, T5, T6, or T7? You didn't specify so we can't really answer the first part of your question.

Second, I think you are asking a question about immigration, not customs. Once you clear immigration (either by kiosks or regular lines), you wait for your luggage by the apron and then exit customs like everyone else. There is no special lines for business class or otherwise.

Edit: I read in the other thread that you will arrive at TBIT...

Since you are arriving at TBIT, the immigration lines for foreign passport holders will be long. But US passport holders go to the kiosks and I've never spent more than 10 minutes in line since the kiosks were installed at TBIT. Once you clear immigration, the fun begins... :D You have to wait for your luggage to come out of the apron and LAX is notoriously slow for luggage. And there is no guarantee that they will unload the premium cabin bags first. It could take 10 minutes or it could take 90 minutes for your bags to come out. After you retrieve your bags, there are 3 separate exits for customs (or maybe 4 I don't remember exactly) and there are no special lines. Just pick the shortest.

ASUDan130 Jul 26, 2016 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 26967876)
First, which terminal are you arriving? T2, TBIT, T4, T5, T6, or T7? You didn't specify so we can't really answer the first part of your question.

Second, I think you are asking a question about immigration, not customs. Once you clear immigration (either by kiosks or regular lines), you wait for your luggage by the apron and then exit customs like everyone else. There is no special lines for business class or otherwise.

Edit: I read in the other thread that you will arrive at TBIT...

Since you are arriving at TBIT, the immigration lines for foreign passport holders will be long. But US passport holders go to the kiosks and I've never spent more than 10 minutes in line since the kiosks were installed at TBIT. Once you clear immigration, the fun begins... :D You have to wait for your luggage to come out of the apron and LAX is notoriously slow for luggage. And there is no guarantee that they will unload the premium cabin bags first. It could take 10 minutes or it could take 90 minutes for your bags to come out. After you retrieve your bags, there are 3 separate exits for customs (or maybe 4 I don't remember exactly) and there are no special lines. Just pick the shortest.

Sorry yes I am arriving TBIT. Thanks for the summary so it sounds like as a US citizen you recommend using the kiosks over just going into the line? Nothing anyone really can do about the luggage situation I guess.

TWA884 Aug 10, 2016 9:30 pm

From my Facebook feed:

Originally Posted by Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
U.S. Customs & Border Protection introduced a new color coded way finding system to assist passengers as they head in to the primary inspection hall in the new Tom Bradley International Terminal. RED = U.S. or Canadian citizens. GREEN = B1 or B2, ESTA, LPR. ORANGE = Express Connection. WHITE = Global Entry. BLUE = Crew, APEC, Diplomats and special assistance. Grey = Non U.S Citizens.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...90&oe=582077B6

TWA884 Oct 16, 2016 10:38 am

And a close up from the US CBP Automated Passport Control thread in the Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum:

Originally Posted by Crazydre (Post 27353159)
LAX Tom Bradley has become the second terminal (after Toronto's preclearance) where Border Crossing Cards can be used at APC, in addition to B1/B2 visas. Judging by the signage, it would appear first-time ESTA:s are also eligible (similar to Miami)
https://i.stack.imgur.com/917e6.png

williamsmj Oct 16, 2016 12:24 pm

My mum is flying on in AA135 from LHR, due to arrive at TBIT around 5.20pm later this week. She will have a phone, but we can't count on it working, so I'd like to plan a meeting place.

Can anyone suggest somewhere that is easy to find, inside, after customs, and ideally without involving stairs/elevators, that she or I could wait at?

The official map is useless, as it only shows the departure level

Is Cantina Laredo OK for this? If so, can anyone tell me exactly where it is?

Failing that, if I ask her to meet me at the Coffee Bean in Arrivals, is there any chance she gets lost and ends up at the Coffee Bean in Departures?!

williamsmj Oct 16, 2016 12:38 pm

Sorry, another question! I am picking more people up later in the week, again, without phones! My dad is arriving on Thomas Cook TCX824, supposedly at Terminal 2. His flight is scheduled to land at 2.45pm.

Assuming his flight is on time, will he clear immigration/customs at T2? If he's late, do they regularly move flights at that terminal to, e.g. TBIT for immigration and customs/baggage claim?

If he does arrive at T2, can someone please confirm that the Starbucks on the arrival level in that terminal is a good spot to meet?

TWA884 Oct 16, 2016 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by williamsmj (Post 27353755)
Is Cantina Laredo OK for this? If so, can anyone tell me exactly where it is?

Cantina Laredo is located at the south end of the TBIT arrival level (toward T4 - American Airlines). It has both bar and table seating.

Originally Posted by williamsmj (Post 27353801)
Assuming his flight is on time, will he clear immigration/customs at T2? If he's late, do they regularly move flights at that terminal to, e.g. TBIT for immigration and customs/baggage claim?

T2 has its own Federal Inspection Services facility. I do not know its opening hours; however, several international carriers operate out of that terminal, so I doubt that many passengers are bused over to TBIT for immigration and customs processing.

ckx2 Nov 17, 2016 5:34 am

How bad is customs on Saturday afternoon? Last time I've had 90+ minute waiting time at customs - while APC was a breeze.

DELee Apr 6, 2017 12:33 am

Clearing Customs off of LHR-LAX arriving into Terminal 7

Flying back to LAX from LHR on UA935 with the family in a week. From what I can tell, the 787-9s from LHR arrive into the outer Terminal 7 gates (77 or so).

Responses to an older post in the United thread from 2014 indicate that folks have to walk and exit through Customs in Terminal 6.

That being said, now that more of the construction being done to Terminal 7 is complete, is going through Terminal 6 still the path for clearing Customs for LHR-LAX flights? Or can you now come back up through Terminal 7 security?

Thanks in advance!

David

HkCaGu Apr 6, 2017 1:30 am

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 28136295)
Flying back to LAX from LHR on UA935 with the family in a week. From what I can tell, the 787-9s from LHR arrive into the outer Terminal 7 gates (77 or so).

Responses to an older post in the United thread from 2014 indicate that folks have to walk and exit through Customs in Terminal 6.

That being said, now that more of the construction being done to Terminal 7 is complete, is going through Terminal 6 still the path for clearing Customs for LHR-LAX flights? Or can you now come back up through Terminal 7 security?

Thanks in advance!

David

There is only one customs hall between T6 and T7 that exits out to T6.

DELee Apr 6, 2017 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu (Post 28136410)
There is only one customs hall between T6 and T7 that exits out to T6.

Thanks! I need to tell my father-in-law where to find us when we clear customs.

David

DELee Apr 15, 2017 10:05 pm

T6 and T7 International Arrivals Processed and Exit out of T6

As HkCaGu replied, we did confirm that our flight (UA935) from LHR arrived into T7 (Gate 74) and then we cleared our initial customs check at the bottom level of T7, walked over to T6 via tunnel, collected our checked luggage and then completed customs and saw daylight again at the exit doors on the lower level of T6. These doors are marked as International Arrivals and are basically even with the Theme Restaurant building.

Unfortunately, my father-in-law parked over near the end of T7 parking so we ended up having to hoof our way back to T7 anyway....

I'd also note that the moving walkway in the T7-to-T6 tunnel is currently out of service so the series of walks was reminiscent of the walk to/from the gates at LHR.

David

LupineChemist Apr 24, 2017 10:10 am

I will be arriving to TBIT next Saturday. Not to get too much into our circumstances, but my wife and I need to see an agent. Is there a USC line that bypasses the kiosks?

bzcat Apr 24, 2017 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist (Post 28223078)
I will be arriving to TBIT next Saturday. Not to get too much into our circumstances, but my wife and I need to see an agent. Is there a USC line that bypasses the kiosks?

For US passport holders? I don't think so. You can either go to the Global Entry side or the regular passport side but both are kiosks. But there should be a FIS officer near the kiosks so you can probably inform that person of your needs.

mirasa Apr 26, 2018 5:08 am

Hey everyone. I will fly to LAX in June on a flight that arrives at 7.05pm on a tuesday on Terminal 6.

I was wondering if you have any estimation on how long immigration will take for a foreigner. A friend will pick me up from the airport and I wouldn't want to ask her to be there way too early. If anyone had any suggestions on a good meeting point that would be welcomed too of course.

bzcat Apr 26, 2018 1:18 pm

Which airline?

Terminal 6 is either Alaska or Air Canada. If you are coming from Canada, you will pre-clear immigration and custom in Canada so you will arrive as domestic passenger.

JayhawkCO Apr 26, 2018 3:29 pm

Booked a flight on SAL-LAX on Volaris Costa Rica arriving at 22:45. I'm assuming at the point in the night, it shouldn't be too much of an issue to connect to a crappy mid-con redeye on F9 that leaves at 00:59? No checked baggage.

Chris

TWA884 Apr 26, 2018 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO (Post 29687404)
Booked a flight on SAL-LAX on Volaris Costa Rica arriving at 22:45. I'm assuming at the point in the night, it shouldn't be too much of an issue to connect to a crappy mid-con redeye on F9 that leaves at 00:59? No checked baggage.

Chris

As a US passport holder without checked luggage, you should be fine.

Did you read the wikipost in the 2017/8 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread?