Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

Old Oct 12, 18, 9:49 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Platinum, AA Platinum, Alaska MileagePlan MVP
Hi Kara,

you are correct.

When you arrive from auckland on AA, you wonít clear immigration at T4. Rather youíll take a 10 min long walk that takes you all the way from your arrival gate in T4 to the TBIT immigration lines through the connector and from there you can use a global entry kiosk to get out quickly. With AA itís convenient that they are connected to TBIT with a short walk. Hope this helps! Cheers!
Counterpointing likes this.
Old Oct 12, 18, 10:06 pm

Programs: aadvantage
Thank you so much flyingrohit for your reply. I do remember a bit of walk last time but did not realize at the time I was entering a different terminal! That is good to know as I see the enrollment on arrival for the global entry starts from 6am at TBIT and not until 10am at T4 and my flight gets in about 6.30am. Thanks Kara
Old Dec 1, 18, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Been quite a while since I connected at LAX, certainly not since the new TBIT connector was put in place. With an upcoming international>domestic connection on AA, have read the various threads but am still a little unclear.

AA internstional flight is currently slated to arrive in T4, gate 41, and the onward domestic from T4 gate 45. Obviously I have to clear immigration, customs and security en-route between gates, but not clear exactly where all that will happen. Will I have to go to TBIT to clear immigration and customs, or can that be done in T4? And where would security happen?

I will be travelling with carry-on only, and have Global Entry. Looking to understand what would be the quickest routing through immigration, customs and security for the onward flight, it’s a relatively tight connection at 1h40.

Thanks for any guidance.
Old Dec 1, 18, 5:42 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I believe from 41 you have to go to TBIT. But it's irrelevant since you either go through T4 or TBIT and you don't get to choose. If you get to TBIT, just walk back over to T4 to use the precheck line.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Dec 1, 18, 8:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by LupineChemist View Post
I believe from 41 you have to go to TBIT.
Not necessarily. There is an immigration and customs facility in T4, it is located in the northwest corner of the arrival area. However, its hours are limited. If you arrive when the T4 Federal Inspections Services facility is closed, you will directed to continue in the tunnel to the TBIT FIS.

Oaxaca likes this.
Old Dec 2, 18, 1:54 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Not necessarily. There is an immigration and customs facility in T4, it is located in the northwest corner of the arrival area. However, its hours are limited. If you arrive when the T4 Federal Inspections Services facility is closed, you will directed to continue in the tunnel to the TBIT FIS.

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1000184971569528832
Thanks, my flight is scheduled to arrive in that time window, sounds promising. After T4 immigration, is there a different route to customs and/or security if you do or don’t have checked bags, or is it all the same?
Old Dec 2, 18, 10:16 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Oaxaca View Post

Thanks, my flight is scheduled to arrive in that time window, sounds promising. After T4 immigration, is there a different route to customs and/or security if you do or don’t have checked bags, or is it all the same?
You'll exit the FIS facility on the arrival level of T4. Just take the escalators or elevators up to the departure level and proceed to the TSA security checkpoint. The entrance to the PreCheck lanes is on the east end of terminal.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Dec 3, 18, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
The entrance to the PreCheck lanes is on the east end of terminal.
That is "toward T5" (right, if you go outside) or "away from TBIT" (not left, if you go outside) for those with no sense of direction or totally discombobulated after 10+ hours on a plane. It is also "back from the direction you probably landed."