Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

Old Oct 8, 15, 11:32 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
The Federal Inspection Facility in Terminal 4 is closed and, as far as I know, there are no plans to reopen it.

Immigration and customs inspections for arriving AA passengers take place at TBIT. You flight should arrive at TBIT; in the unlikely event that it arrives at T4, you will be bused to TBIT for processing.
Old Oct 8, 15, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
P.S. Take a look at this thread in the American Airlines forum:
LHR-LAX AA 135 Arrival Gate and Transfer to Domestic Out of T4
Old Oct 8, 15, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, UA, IHG Plat
Currently, there are 3 possibilities for AA135 arrivals:

1. Arrive at TBIT. This is the preferred outcome. You just walk out the plane and to immigration hall.

2. Arrive at remote stand. You will be bused to TBIT.

3. Arrive at T4. You will be bused to TBIT.
Old Oct 8, 15, 2:22 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, BA
My bet is that AA135 will arrive at T4. Option #2 or #3 means I will probably have to get on a bus at some stage.
Old Oct 29, 15, 1:29 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, BA
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
Currently, there are 3 possibilities for AA135 arrivals:

1. Arrive at TBIT. This is the preferred outcome. You just walk out the plane and to immigration hall.

2. Arrive at remote stand. You will be bused to TBIT.

3. Arrive at T4. You will be bused to TBIT.
When I travelled a couple of weeks back, we got option #3.
Deplaned, up stairs and short walk to adjacent gate, then down stairs. I was in row41 at the front of economy and easily got on the 2nd bus. Only a short 5 min bus ride to TBIT.
Immigration took about 45 mins. Would have been quicker, but an incoming plane from China landed about the same time. This seemed to tie up some of the immigration booths, as they had to wait for translator assistance.
Old Dec 3, 15, 10:00 am

Programs: Miles & More
Immigration at LAX Tom Bradley Terminal

Hello, I'm flying to LAX soon with my younger brother. He's a first-time ESTA visitor, I a returning one.

When I was in New York recently, at JFK T4 there were signs for "first-time ESTA visitors/visitors with visas" (Manual control) and "US citizens/Permanent residents/returning ESTA visitors" (APC kiosks). Back then I went for the former as it was my first visit to the US (on any passport, in other words ever).

Now, I know the CBP site basically says first-time ESTA visitors must be processed manually. However, I have read in various Forums that at LAX, there is just one sign "ESTA" which leads to the APC kiosks.

Does that mean even a first-time ESTA visitor can use the APC kiosks at LAX?

Any clarification from recent travellers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Crazydre; Dec 3, 15 at 10:28 am
Old Dec 7, 15, 1:51 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by Crazydre View Post
Now, I know the CBP site basically says first-time ESTA visitors must be processed manually. However, I have read in various Forums that at LAX, there is just one sign "ESTA" which leads to the APC kiosks.

Does that mean even a first-time ESTA visitor can use the APC kiosks at LAX?

Any clarification from recent travellers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
At TBIT specifically they have numerous contract workers standing around specifically directing "ESTA visitors with at least one previous visit to the US on their current passport" to use the APC stations. It doesn't even apply to me but the rule is drilled into my head due to incessant repetition during my passes through TBIT. So yes, they are quite specific that first-time ESTA visitors can NOT use the APC's at LAX TBIT.
Old Dec 11, 15, 10:54 am

Super, thanks heaps!
Old Dec 12, 15, 5:26 am

Btw, one more Thing: are VWP passports stamped by the CBP officer after using the Kiosk? Some source say the receipt is stamped instead, some that the passport is, and some that it varies. Wouldn't exactly be bothered by a passport stamp but it would be a plus not to get one.
Old Apr 9, 16, 2:08 am

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
LAX Arrival Hall Procedure

Can anyone confirm, if after arrival at Tom Bradley International,whether non US visitors can proceed to the counter together as a de facto couple or do you have to wait for the next available booth & proceed singularly?
Old Apr 9, 16, 3:46 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
You can go together.
Old Apr 9, 16, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can if you're a "family." If you're not, they might not notice, but I would never go through immigration and customs with someone that I did not know extremely well. If there's a problem, you could have trouble too.
Old Apr 11, 16, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
You can if you're a "family." If you're not, they might not notice, but I would never go through immigration and customs with someone that I did not know extremely well. If there's a problem, you could have trouble too.
Well I would think that I know my de facto partner considering I have known her for 22 years.

I was just concerned with the different surnames on our passports & whether that does not constitute a "family".
Old Apr 11, 16, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by robertr View Post
Well I would think that I know my de facto partner considering I have known her for 22 years.

I was just concerned with the different surnames on our passports & whether that does not constitute a "family".
You are fine to approach the counter together. The worse thing is the immigration officer will ask one of you to step back in line. But I don't think that will happen especially if you only fill out one custom declaration form (signifying that you are traveling together).

And besides, not all married people have the same name... my wife refuses to change hers and I wasn't going to change my name And in some countries (e.g. most east Asian ones) it is actually highly unusual for married female to change her name so immigration officers at LAX should know better than assume "family" all share the same name.
Old Apr 14, 16, 1:31 am

Thank you for your responses, we have flown in 4 times previously & have proceeded to the booth separately,however I am concious of one of us being delayed by an officer & the immigration people don't like you waiting on the other side (they make you move on)

Search this Thread