Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Free carts at LAX (and perhaps other airports)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free carts at LAX (and perhaps other airports)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Can't address EWR, but when I flew through JFK (it's been a while) no fee for the cart in the international area. LAX, SFO & ORD no fees for carts in the international area. Carts in the domestic portion, $3.

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 11:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Can't address EWR, but when I flew through JFK (it's been a while) no fee for the cart in the international area. LAX, SFO & ORD no fees for carts in the international area. Carts in the domestic portion, $3.

Cheers.
Im usually in and out of Term C @ EWR COs Home and $3 a pop, the few times Ive used another Carrier and came into Term B $3 a pop.

At JFK where its been awhile myself since TW and PN are no longer with us, could be Term 4 Intl is free I was very rarely thru there. Term 1 is a few Intl carriers that got together so maybe they dont charge.

But charging at all at any type of a Term is , I cant recall 1 airport in Europe, Central or South America, or Asia that Ive been to that charged for carts!
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:14 pm

I cant recall 1 airport in Europe, Central or South America, or Asia that Ive been to that charged for carts!
You need to put a euro in the cart in many European airports in order to release the chain that connects them, however, provided you return it where it belongs you will get the euro back.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 9:12 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Thanks for posting this. I used my AA card at the UA baggage claim at LAX this morning and the card popped out for free. ^
Old Jun 12, 2007, 4:35 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
I'm curious to see if it is just simply any card that might work. Can someone shove their non credit card in there and see if it works?
Old Jun 18, 2007, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Uh oh....

Here's a fun update. I was at SNA today to apply vouchers, so I decided to run a couple of tests proposed here. First, no other card works (used CA DL, Costco card, old college ID, and health insurance card). It gave some message like, "Card not accepted" I forget.

But the slightly-worrisome thing... I put in my AAA card (to test multiple usage), and the reader said "CARD DENIED." I used it on 3 different machines, all saying the same thing.

Now I'm wondering if a) they've taken it away, or b) I've used up some allocation.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 5:58 am

My AAA card worked at SLC this month. ^
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I had some time to kill at LAS with Schmutzig MSP and Mrp Alert. We discovered why the luggage carts are free with a AAA card. If you look closely at a AAA card the numbers are in the same format as a credit card number (including an expiration date) The luggage cart machines do not process the card numbers in real time so it does not know it is an invalid number. Regardless this little scheme paid our meter at LAS while we had a few drinks in the US club.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 3:25 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Works at SFO too

I tried mine (ACSC card) at SFO rental car return (first floor) on 6/24 and it worked. Pushed it all the way to the UA terminal's train station, but unfortunately the elevator broke and I had to let the cart go on the platform floor.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 8:19 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Here's a fun update. I was at SNA today to apply vouchers, so I decided to run a couple of tests proposed here. First, no other card works (used CA DL, Costco card, old college ID, and health insurance card). It gave some message like, "Card not accepted" I forget.

But the slightly-worrisome thing... I put in my AAA card (to test multiple usage), and the reader said "CARD DENIED." I used it on 3 different machines, all saying the same thing.

Now I'm wondering if a) they've taken it away, or b) I've used up some allocation.

You've maxed out your AAA card.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by uva185
... The luggage cart machines do not process the card numbers in real time so it does not know it is an invalid number. ...
Yeah but your AAA renewal is going to be $752 this year.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 3:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by kef0913
Yeah but your AAA renewal is going to be $752 this year.
What was it last year? (I don't pay for it)
Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:42 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I think someone's having fun with you.

We're just saying, by using the AAA card as a faux-credit card, expect a ton of charges to get loaded onto it (not).
Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:46 am

Programs: UA *G
$3 at JFK Terminal 1 international arrivals - a real pain.
Will have to try this next time I fly into the states.
-a
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:25 am

I think its ~$65 a year for a family. Like Flyin Hawaiian said, I was just playfully intimating that the charges would be passed through via AAA. It's not going to happen. Just a joke.

Although it would be pretty funny to see the AAA brass' reactions if the Smart Carte people presented them with the bill, "Here's $4 million in charges from your members. Pay up."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.