Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Domestic and Preclearance Arrivals @ TBIT

Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs

Relatives are coming in from Dublin where they will be pre-cleared by TSA and US Immigration/Customs. Thus their arrival at LAX TBIT will be a domestic flight, not international.

They are inexperienced travelers and I want to know exactly where to meet them in TBIT. I am assuming they will not be coming out of the usual International Arrivals on the lower level. These are folks who could freak out if they don't see me when they emerge from the secure area.

Next: Where will they get their checked luggage? T2?

I ask because I have heard AA domestic passengers arriving at TBIT collect their luggage in T4. (Am I right?)

My relatives are flying Aer Lingus (DUB-LAX non stop), and I am guessing they would get their baggage in T2. I tried asking on the Aer Lingus forum, but no one gave me an answer specific to LAX.

I looked all over the Aer LIngus website. Nothing. I tried calling. Long hold times. I am hoping that one of my AA buddies here might know the answer.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
AA domestic passengers arriving at TBIT collect their luggage in T4. BUT, I believe there is a small domestic carousel at TBIT for pre-clearance arrivals like Etihad, which I imagine Aer Lingus uses as well.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The domestic exit from TBIT airside is next to the security checkpoint. You could meet your relatives near the bottom of the left (south) side escalator from the check-in hall up to security. There are airport employees checking BPs at the bottom of the escalator who will not let you up without a BP, so you can't meet them right at the exit from the secure area, but the bottom of the escalator should be close enough.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by wrp96
AA domestic passengers arriving at TBIT collect their luggage in T4. BUT, I believe there is a small domestic carousel at TBIT for pre-clearance arrivals like Etihad, which I imagine Aer Lingus uses as well.

The Aer Lingus flight is code shared with Etihad, so I'm going to bet that is it. Thanks. Exactly what I needed to know.

Originally Posted by dkc192
The domestic exit from TBIT airside is next to the security checkpoint. You could meet your relatives near the bottom of the left (south) side escalator from the check-in hall up to security. There are airport employees checking BPs at the bottom of the escalator who will not let you up without a BP, so you can't meet them right at the exit from the secure area, but the bottom of the escalator should be close enough.
Perfect. Exactly what I need to know.

AA forum ROCKS!

Last edited by Microwave; Jul 27, 2022 at 3:58 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
Hi, just want to make sure I understand this correctly. You mean the bottom of the left (south) side escalator inside DEPARTURE HALL, right?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by puppying
Hi, just want to make sure I understand this correctly. You mean the bottom of the left (south) side escalator inside DEPARTURE HALL, right?
Yes
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
This thread has nothing to do with AA, so Ill move it to the Los Angeles
Forum.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Aug 3, 2022, 10:44 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Based on my experience arriving on Hawaiian Airlines in mid-June, the place where domestic passengers exit the secure area is now in a different spot that's not near the security checkpoint. As this month's LAX construction update puts it:

Tom Bradley International Terminal: A portion of the new Terminal Vertical Core is open in the north end of the building, providing new escalators and elevators to reach three levels of the terminal, as well as a route for arriving domestic passengers to access Baggage Claim 31 on the Lower/Arrivals Level.

I do suggest meeting at Baggage Claim 31 (the domestic baggage claim area).
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by trainman74
Based on my experience arriving on Hawaiian Airlines in mid-June, the place where domestic passengers exit the secure area is now in a different spot that's not near the security checkpoint. As this month's LAX construction update puts it:

I do suggest meeting at Baggage Claim 31 (the domestic baggage claim area).
I can confirm that domestic exit is now in the arrival level. On July 30, we were waiting in the departure hall and luckily, she was able to connect to Wifi and reach us.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 5:28 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Flair Airlines YVR-LAX using TBIT?

I checked F8 uses TBIT at LAX, which makes sense for outbound. For inbound, what should I expect? I thought I will clear immigration at YVR, and where will I disembark? Not sure if TBIT has a domestic exit
Old Oct 4, 2023, 6:25 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by tobiashenry
Not sure if TBIT has a domestic exit
You can arrive in Bradley on a domestic flight, and exit without going through the customs process. Hawaiian Airlines is Bradley based, and American uses it somewhat regularly on domestic segments. Upon arrival you empty into the regular departure terminal, rather than being routed through secure hallways direct to ICE facilities.

Depending on what Bradley gate you arrive at, the walk to domestic baggage claim or the street exit, can be lengthy (and I've found signage is not stellar).
tobiashenry and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by Craig6z; Oct 4, 2023 at 6:30 pm
Old Oct 4, 2023, 7:10 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Originally Posted by Craig6z
You can arrive in Bradley on a domestic flight, and exit without going through the customs process. Hawaiian Airlines is Bradley based, and American uses it somewhat regularly on domestic segments. Upon arrival you empty into the regular departure terminal, rather than being routed through secure hallways direct to ICE facilities.

Depending on what Bradley gate you arrive at, the walk to domestic baggage claim or the street exit, can be lengthy (and I've found signage is not stellar).
Interesting! Thanks for sharing your experience. I never knew that there is a way to get to domestic baggage claim at TBIT! This would be an interesting experience as I see F8 usually use outer gate.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok I am a bit confused. Curbside, picking up a domestic arrival into TBIT with no checked bag do I want to be upstairs or downstairs? Last time I tried upstairs over by T4 and that was all wrong.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Ok I am a bit confused. Curbside, picking up a domestic arrival into TBIT with no checked bag do I want to be upstairs or downstairs? Last time I tried upstairs over by T4 and that was all wrong.
Have them take the bus to the cell phone lot

Alternatively, it looks like theyre still using the lower level of P3 as a pickup area, via the second entrance. I havent driven in the CTA for a while, so it would be good to get independent confirmation. The CTA lots are first 15 minutes free, as long as the passenger arrives first, you can probably use one of the CTA garages.

They should also be able to wait by the lower level islands, outer curb.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I would suggest meeting your party at the lower level of TBIT closest to T3 where the domestic luggage claim area is located. However, someone without checked luggage coming off a domestic flight can use any exits, including those that connects to T3 and T4.

The last time I arrive on AA domestic flight to TBIT, I walked out of T4 because I prefer to use the LAX-It pickup point at T5.
dlaue likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.