Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The "LAX Airport Hotel Questions/Suggestions" Consolidated Thread

The "LAX Airport Hotel Questions/Suggestions" Consolidated Thread

Old Feb 23, 15, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
Are any of the LAX hotels walkable?
The CP website says it's 0.25miles from LAX but having walked from the TBIT to T1, I hardly believe that.

Flying into LAX in AA domestic.

If not, how do you go about getting a hotel shuttle? Seen loads of buses etc driving about but no real idea where pickups are, if you have to find a courtesy phone or what.
Old Feb 23, 15, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I have stayed at most of the LAX immediate area hotels - Westin, Crowne Plaza, Radisson (when it was one), Marriott, Hilton and non of them were anything special at all. My last stay was the Hilton where the lounge was heaving and the wi-fi down.

We have a similar overnighter as you coming up - in after 9pm out again next morning to Hawaii and all the above hotels were looking for $175+ as it is a midweek night at what must be a busy time. So instead I did something I've not done in a while and, since the stay is only for a few hours, booked a 3 star via Hotwire for $85+tax/fees. Got the LAX Wyngate by Wyndham which sounds fine for that purpose (short stay with free airport shuttle). They want $156 booking direct so got a decent deal. Thought that might be an idea in your case too.
Old Feb 23, 15, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by xenole View Post
Are any of the LAX hotels walkable?
The CP website says it's 0.25miles from LAX but having walked from the TBIT to T1, I hardly believe that.

Flying into LAX in AA domestic.

If not, how do you go about getting a hotel shuttle? Seen loads of buses etc driving about but no real idea where pickups are, if you have to find a courtesy phone or what.
My home airport.

I don't think any of the LAX hotels are "walkable", not unless you really enjoy long walks pulling luggage behind you.

AA domestic arrives in T4, right next to TBIT, therefore any walk would be as long as walking from TBIT. Personally, I wouldn't do it. I'd take a shuttle.

When you exit T4, you'll notice there are two lanes of traffic. The lane closest to the T4 exit doors (ie the first lane you encounter) is only for taxi* and personal car pickups. You need to cross that lane and go to the pedestrian "island" and wait for the outer lane of traffic. That is where shuttle buses and long term buses pick up passengers. This is the main roadway that circles LAX. On the other side of that main roadway are parking garages. Stay on the "island", find the red sign and wait. There are some rather uncomfortable benches for waiting. When you see the shuttle for your hotel approach, stand up and wave at the driver to get attention.

Hotel shuttles pick up under the RED signs. See this map. You need to be really close to the red sign, or the hotel shuttles will ignore you.

Since I live here, I never take shuttles to LAX hotels. My suggestion to you would be to contact the hotel where you have a reservation and ask if you need to call them for a pick-up or if they make a regular circuit. Do so in advance so you'll have exact instructions.

*ETA: I'm not positive about taxis in the "personal car" lane. I never take a taxi, as MrQ picks me up or I get on the Van Nuys Flyaway. Green sign.
Old Feb 23, 15, 10:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
and taking a taxi to the LAX hotels is a gamble--the drivers hate it and you are assessed a minimum $20 charge or something.

i am a (relatively) intelligent person who has traveled the world, live in LA for 4 years... and i have only ever gotten into shouting matches twice in my life with taxi drivers when i needed to be driven from LAX to the hotel.

take the shuttle!
Old Mar 3, 15, 2:34 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
There are no hotels there but it is within walking distance to most hotels on Century Blvd (e.g. Sheraton).
On that note, I don't think there is a safe way for a pedestrian to get to airport from one of the hotels.

I was doing a few MRs to LAX last year and went to In-n-out few times during layovers. Always had to hop on a shuttle... just couldn't figure out a way to walk there.
Old Mar 3, 15, 5:13 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I've walked to the Courtyard on Century one night from T7/T8. It probably took no more than 10 minutes and was certainly more appealing than waiting for a shuttle. I recall seeing a few pilots doing a similar walk. The Concourse (nee. Radisson/Hyatt) is a block closer. I am very familiar with LAX and the surrounding area so I didn't have any qualms about getting lost. Getting in/out of LAX isn't that pedestrian-friendly, but it can be done.
Old Mar 4, 15, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by carsnoceans View Post
On that note, I don't think there is a safe way for a pedestrian to get to airport from one of the hotels.

I was doing a few MRs to LAX last year and went to In-n-out few times during layovers. Always had to hop on a shuttle... just couldn't figure out a way to walk there.
Sure there is... just follow the sidewalk
Old Mar 5, 15, 9:46 am

Sure there is... just follow the sidewalk
I would. But I didnt see a sidewalk between terminal and Sepulvida/Westchester.
Old Mar 9, 15, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I would. But I didnt see a sidewalk between terminal and Sepulvida/Westchester.
Sidewalk from LAX to Sepulveda is on the north side (outside T1).

You can walk from T1 to In-N-Out in about 10 minutes.

You can walk from T1 to Sheraton in about 5 minutes.

You can walk from T1 to Hilton in about 15 minutes.

You can walk from any of the hotels on Century Blvd to In-N-Out as well. Time varies according to distance but from Sheraton is is about a 10 minute walk.

Last edited by bzcat; Mar 9, 15 at 1:50 pm
Old Mar 9, 15, 8:49 pm

Sidewalk from LAX to Sepulveda is on the north side (outside T1).

You can walk from T1 to In-N-Out in about 10 minutes.

You can walk from T1 to Sheraton in about 5 minutes.

You can walk from T1 to Hilton in about 15 minutes.

You can walk from any of the hotels on Century Blvd to In-N-Out as well. Time varies according to distance but from Sheraton is is about a 10 minute walk.
Got it. I always fly into T4 (aa).

Is T1 in direction of TBIT or the other way?
Old Mar 9, 15, 9:11 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Got it. I always fly into T4 (aa).

Is T1 in direction of TBIT or the other way?
Old Nov 5, 15, 10:49 am

Programs: LH SEN
Hi all
Can you recommend a LAX hotel that fits following criteria:

Airport shuttle
shopping possibilities nearby: Nothing Fancy, just "normal" shops for clothing, food, CVS etc.
Maybe some kind of access to the movie part of the city or nearby location to a hop on/off bus.

Reason being that we probably will arrive kinda late at LAX and depart 24hrs later. We want to use the time to do some basic shopping and maybe, just maybe, go on a city tour. Or how expensive would a cab ride be to get me there?
Any ideas and advice?

Thank you so much
W
Old Nov 5, 15, 2:43 pm

I can't think of any LAX hotel that offers a free shuttle and is conveniently located to shopping.

The Four Points by Sheraton Los Angeles West Side, which is about three miles (5 km) from the airport, is adjacent to Westfield Culver City Mall and is not too far from Sony Pictures Studios.

There is really not a "movie part of the city," as the studios are spread out in different parts of the city. Off the top of my head, 21 Century Fox is in Century City on the West Side. Paramount is in Hollywood. Universal, DreamWorks, Disney, Warner Brothers and CBS are in the Valley.
Old Nov 5, 15, 2:54 pm

P.S. Here is a link to the StarLine CitySightseeing Hop-On, Hop-Off Tour. It lists the various itineraries and has a map that shows the routes and attractions. It should give you a rough idea of the distance from the airport area and the time involved. They seem to offer morning and evening shuttles between the airport area hotels and Hollywood; depending on traffic condition, that trip can easily take an hour or more.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 5, 15 at 3:10 pm Reason: Add direct link to the map
Old Nov 7, 15, 10:07 am

Programs: LH SEN
Thanks for the suggestion, great stuff.
I think a am going to book a LAX hotel. From there I can either take the shuttle for the hop on/off.
Or use the airport shuttle and take the Flyaway bus that brings me to Hollywood or Union station.
Or use the ocean express shuttle.
I think all these options allow for flexible planning without bothering with rental cars or high cab fares.
W

Search this Thread