Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The "LAX Airport Hotel Questions/Suggestions" Consolidated Thread

The "LAX Airport Hotel Questions/Suggestions" Consolidated Thread

Old Jun 6, 12, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by maortega15 View Post
My hotel choices are:

-Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles/Hollywood
-Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
-Hotel Angeleno
-Hilton Checkers

I have my flight and rental car covered. I just need to pick out the best one, but which is the best one out of these 4 choices? I need a desicion by today so please help!!
Quite honestly, none of these choices sound appealing for a romantic weekend. What are her standards and to what sort of hotel is she accustomed?
Old Jun 6, 12, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Quite honestly, none of these choices sound appealing for a romantic weekend. What are her standards and to what sort of hotel is she accustomed?
She doesn't really care. We're pretty much in our early 20's
Old Jun 6, 12, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
She doesn't really care. We're pretty much in our early 20's
So did you even consider Palm Springs area or are you just dismissing that idea out of hand because you have to be in LA???

Seriously, you are looking at A LOT of driving between LAX and Fontana and back at the hour you're arriving after a long international flight. If you're not used to freeways or traffic it can be taxing.
Old Jun 6, 12, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by SWCPHX View Post
So did you even consider Palm Springs area or are you just dismissing that idea out of hand because you have to be in LA???

Seriously, you are looking at A LOT of driving between LAX and Fontana and back at the hour you're arriving after a long international flight. If you're not used to freeways or traffic it can be taxing.
I'm dismissing that idea since I plan to be in LA during my stay. She agreed to stay with me anyways, so it ain't a problem. I plan to drop her off, the night before I depart for HKG. Driving will most likely not be a problem even with traffic I already have my plans set-up, the hotel is the only thing missing from the puzzle.
Old Jun 6, 12, 10:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Driving will most likely not be a problem even with traffic
You've never been in Southern California before, let alone drive here, have you? You have no idea what you are facing.

Since you seem to know everything better, there is no need for further advice.

P.S. None of your hotel choices are particularly suited for your plans; that's why I have not weighed in with advice. I don't want to be blamed when you realized how poor your choice was.

P.P.S. There is no way in the world you are going to be in your rental car within an hour of landing at LAX. You'd be lucky to clear immigration and customs within such a short period of time.
Old Jun 6, 12, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have a car reserved and do they know you are under 25?
Old Jun 7, 12, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal View Post
Do you have a car reserved and do they know you are under 25?
Yeah. There is a surcharge of 25% I think.
Old Jun 7, 12, 7:21 am

Programs: KE MC
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
The parking charge at the Checkers is $38.50 a day, not including 10% city tax or gratuity.
And for the others:
-Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles/Hollywood $30
-Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City $20

How about the Langham in Pasadena? It used to be a Ritz Carlton, you can easily go to Huntington Gardens. I guarantee the Gardens are a nice place to take a quiet romantic stroll which I'm sure many young people in Fontana have NOT been to (unlike Hollywood, Universal Studios, etc). (hmmm... maybe in elementary school for a school field trip)

I'd also spend one day in Six Flags Magic Mountain if she likes rollercoasters.

Last edited by choijw; Jun 7, 12 at 7:36 am Reason: add parking costs
Old Jun 7, 12, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by choijw View Post
And for the others:
-Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles/Hollywood $30
-Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City $20

How about the Langham in Pasadena? It used to be a Ritz Carlton, you can easily go to Huntington Gardens. I guarantee the Gardens are a nice place to take a quiet romantic stroll which I'm sure many young people in Fontana have NOT been to (unlike Hollywood, Universal Studios, etc). (hmmm... maybe in elementary school for a school field trip)

I'd also spend one day in Six Flags Magic Mountain if she likes rollercoasters.
I might actually consider that I hope it fits in my price range. I also hope its convenient to the LAX area. And actually, we just plan to head out to local malls and such. She's a huge fan of roller coasters but not me.
Old Jun 7, 12, 8:12 am

Hotel Update

So I narrowed it down to Hotel Angeleno and The Langham Pasadena. The price was just 31 bucks difference. The Angeleno has free parking not sure about the Langham. The Langham is pretty much halfway between LAX and Fontana. 26 miles to LAX, 36 miles to Fontana, so roughly halfway.
Old Jun 7, 12, 8:29 am

So I narrowed it down to Hotel Angeleno and The Langham Pasadena. The price was just 31 bucks difference. The Angeleno has free parking not sure about the Langham. The Langham is pretty much halfway between LAX and Fontana. 26 miles to LAX, 36 miles to Fontana, so roughly halfway.
Langham $12 or 25 http://pasadena.langhamhotels.com/lo...sportation.htm

Closest outlet mall: Ontario Mills http://www.simon.com/mall/?id=1258

Nice place for the afternoon/evening to walk around/catch a movie/shop: Old Pasadena and Paseo Colorado http://www.oldpasadena.org/ and http://www.paseocoloradopasadena.com/

BTW Langham means catching 110 to the 105 and LAX. Maybe 20 min at best, 35 min average.

Last edited by choijw; Jun 7, 12 at 8:35 am Reason: time to LAX from Langham Pasadena
Old Jun 7, 12, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
You've never been in Southern California before, let alone drive here, have you? You have no idea what you are facing.

Since you seem to know everything better, there is no need for further advice.

P.S. None of your hotel choices are particularly suited for your plans; that's why I have not weighed in with advice. I don't want to be blamed when you realized how poor your choice was.

P.P.S. There is no way in the world you are going to be in your rental car within an hour of landing at LAX. You'd be lucky to clear immigration and customs within such a short period of time.
My apologies if I offended you in any way. I have been pretty much stuck in traffic on the Cross Bronx Expwy heading to New Jersey which is pretty much as notorious as the freeways in LA or a little bit less. I have also driven in the Philippines which is a 3rd world country known for corrupt traffic officials and severe traffic congestion. A supposed 30 min. drive takes double the time during rush hour over there. I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best in regards to traffic.

My plans do seem a little bit odd. But I planned this all of a sudden. It was like 3 weeks planning, not months so pretty much I don't want to rethink the whole thing all over again. she doesn't want to take public transportation to LA since she doesn't want to due to her being traumatized with a past experience. So I guesss alot of driving will be done. Especially coming from a long haul flight from Asia. I guess the plan for us is to stay in LA for 3 days nights then I have to drive her back to Fontana on the last day. I'll probably just imagine im drving from Queens, New York to central New Jersey since thats the approximate distance.

Thanks for your concern. I really appreciate it especially when im new to this LA ish
Old Jun 7, 12, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
My apologies if I offended you in any way. I have been pretty much stuck in traffic on the Cross Bronx Expwy heading to New Jersey which is pretty much as notorious as the freeways in LA or a little bit less. I have also driven in the Philippines which is a 3rd world country known for corrupt traffic officials and severe traffic congestion. A supposed 30 min. drive takes double the time during rush hour over there. I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best in regards to traffic.
it ain't the same. a "30 minute" drive in clear traffic can pretty easily get upwards of 2.5 hours in rush hour (~7-11am, 3-8pm) in l.a.; double the time would be sweeeeeeet. in an area like the sepulveda pass, it's not that unusual to move 1-2 miles in 30 minutes during rush hour.
Old Jun 7, 12, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Langham over Hotel Angeleno, without a question. Nicer area Pasadena over the 405 fwy, and a former Ritz-Carlton as opposed to well a Holiday Inn.
Old Jun 8, 12, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by SWCPHX View Post
Langham over Hotel Angeleno, without a question. Nicer area Pasadena over the 405 fwy, and a former Ritz-Carlton as opposed to well a Holiday Inn.
Also traffic should be better since he won't be bothered by the normal commuting traffic (downtown LA to suburbs) on the way back to the hotel from Fontana. Getting from Fontana to Hotel Angeleno in the westside will not be fun.

Note that the Langham is not walkable to anything in particular... but it is in a super-posh neighborhood.

Search this Thread