Search

using mass transit to go from costa mesa to LA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
using mass transit to go from costa mesa to LA

i will be in costa mesa next week without a car and would like to go to LA for eating. i checked the orange county bus and apparently it takes an hour just to go from the bus stop by the hilton costa mesa where im staying to the metrolink station! anyone have better ideas on how to go from the Hilton to korea town or UCLA?
Old Feb 14, 2007, 3:37 pm
In memoriam

While I am sure it can be done, go from OC to LA via public transit--perhaps take a bus to LAX and then pickup LA Metro system there-in the end, I think you will be a lot better off (and not spend a lot more money) by renting a car from, say Enterprize, in Costa Mesa. Plus, you will save a LOT of time.

By the way, why not just go Vietnamese in OC?
Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:03 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Dude, you need a rent-a-car in Southern California. SNA Airport in Costa Mesa has the cheapest rent-a-cars in town, bid $16/day from Priceline.com . And why travel to Los Angeles (two hours by car and probably at least three, one-way, by bus)?. There are plenty of restaurants, including Asian restaurants, in Costa Mesa.

If you insist on wasting your day riding around on buses, there are buses.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
I agree with the others that a rental is the way to go in OC/LA,pick one up at SNA and you should be able to blast up the 405 to UCLA in about an hour mid day.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
alas, im 22 and due to how i get the car i drive at home, have no real car insurance. i ended up deciding to take a cab to amtrak, amtrak to union station, then the metro. the last poster mentioned 405, i thought that interstate was notorious for going "4 or 5 miles an hour"?

oh and the reason im heading to LA is both to meet a friend and because after much googling, yet to find a korean bbq buffet in orange county.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Tustin has a popular one: http://www.insiderpages.com/b/15217405094
It is just 7 miles from the Hilton Costa Mesa - Best taxi route is the 55 during non-peak or follow Red Hill Ave all the way up if the 55 is too busy.
Use Google to map both locations - you will be impressed how direct it is from the hotel. Ask Costa Mesa Hilton if they have a car and driver that could take you there!

O.C. Metrolink is $8 from Santa Ana to LA Union Staion and takes about an hour.
Really it does not sound worth it to me unless you plan to do other things in L.A. (And there are things but they are spread out). Maybe your friend could meet you since, of course, everyone in L.A. drives.
You should tell us what day/time you plan on traveling so we can tell you the best driving route.

Last edited by westcoastman; Feb 14, 2007 at 10:59 pm
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA
If you get to Union Station you can take the Red Line to K-town. Do note that mass transit in Southern California will provide you with mass headaches as well as transit.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 4:45 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Before everyone gives you grief for not having a car...

Try http://www.metro.net/default.asp
Old Feb 15, 2007, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by mlshanks
Before everyone gives you grief for not having a car...
Anything is possible, and you CAN get around the vast expanse of the Southland using transit - but at what cost (in time, especially)?

Most people have limited time when visiting an area, and the hours that will be consumed with anything other than point-to-point use of transit in the greater LA area will be considerable. Whether the amount of time that will be taken from your sightseeing and other activities is worth it, only the individual traveler can determine.

Having said that, I will note that many FlyerTalkers sometime forget that other FTers may have reasons for not renting a car - visual or mobility impairment, for instance, or simple preference not to drive. The trick is to PLAN PLAN PLAN, then plan some more
Old Feb 15, 2007, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Having said that, I will note that many FlyerTalkers sometime forget that other FTers may have reasons for not renting a car - visual or mobility impairment, for instance, or simple preference not to drive. The trick is to PLAN PLAN PLAN, then plan some more
Of course, if you spend more time planning the trip than the trip is going to take*either* by transit or car, you are probably wound a little too tight...

Old Feb 17, 2007, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could buy a ticket on United's/Skywest's SNA-LAX route.

Costa Mesa/Newport have some great restaurants, by the way, but they tend to be cookie cutter OC places.

Downtown LA has some real character. I especially enjoy Little Tokyo.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc

. . .to meet a friend . . ..
If possible, I'd ask your friend (depending on how good a friend) to do the driving, meeting and returning you to Orange County. Southern California is not "rapid transit" friendly. Sad but true. Or your friend may have a better suggestion.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 5:03 pm

there are lots of korean places in cerritos, and i know of at least a few as far past the orange curtain as buena park.

frankly, a trip to koreatown for your bulgogi and kimchi fix might not be worth it unless you know where you're going.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
..oh and the reason im heading to LA is both to meet a friend and because after much googling, yet to find a korean bbq buffet in orange county.
You didn't google enough, try the following:

New Seoul Korean BBQ Buffet
9902 Garden Grove Blvd.
Garden Grove , CA 92844
Tel: (714) 537-9902

Seoul Garden BBQ Buffet
13828 Red Hill Ave.
Tustin , CA 92780
Tel: (714) 537-9292

This last one in Tustin is closer to the Hilton Costa Mesa.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 1:17 pm

Although I believe no buffet is available, I'm told that Seoul Oak Korean BBQ Restaurant has excellent Korean BBQ. The servers wear traditional outfits. This restaurant was highly recommended by a friend that was born and raised in Korea.

Seoul Oak Korean BBQ Restaurant
8925 Garden Grove Boulevard
Garden Grove, California 92844

Bon Appétit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.