The Consolidated LAX Plane Spotting/Viewing Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated LAX Plane Spotting/Viewing Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:22 am

Radisson for lax plane spotting

Thanks for all the advice given, been very helpful.

Looks like highest we could get is 5th floor on the
North West side.

Do you think we will still be able to see planes/LAX
from 5th floor?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:55 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Best lax airport for plane spotting?

Curious as to what is THEE best hotel around LAX for in room plane spotting?

Yes I will also be at the In & Out burger and a few other areas around the airport but would like hotel or even room suggestions please? Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:22 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the LAX Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Radisson (the rooftop bar).

Wait a sec, you said "in room." Nearly any Century Blvd. hotel will do if you get a high room overlooking the airport. The properties on the north side are closer to the 24L/R approaches than are the properties on the south side to the 25L/R approaches. But since 25L/R begins further to the east than does 24 L/R, the 25 L/R aircraft you see will be lower (more parallel with your window).
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I took these yesterday with my Blackberry camera while eating lunch at In-N-Out...

Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:05 am

Christmas gift!

My wife (with my encouragement) is giving me, for Christmas, a night in a LAX hotel to plane spot - from my research, it appears that the Embassy Suites South, Radisson, and Sheraton Gateway all seem very good. My wife & (will be) 10 month old will be with me, so I'm conscious of the noise factor but also seeking best possible vantage point from room and/or room + lounge. I have a free night with Hilton to burn, plus a bunch of points with Starwood.

Any recent experiences? I'm leaning towards Embassy Suites South (5th floor facing LAX runways) at this stage.

Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
If you want to use the Starwood points, Sheraton is not bad. Just ask for a room with airport or approach view.

The noise factor is what it is... but not that bothersom inside the hotel. The In N Out burger location gets pretty noisy for both landing and takeoff.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
If you want to use the Starwood points, Sheraton is not bad. Just ask for a room with airport or approach view.

The noise factor is what it is... but not that bothersom inside the hotel. The In N Out burger location gets pretty noisy for both landing and takeoff.
Thanks for your recommendation bzcat
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
Another vote for the Sheraton.

To go along bzcat's suggestion, if you have access to the club lounge you can also view the eastern end of the south complex of the airport as well. Always look forward to having a light breakfast there while watching the morning lineup of departures waiting to use 25R. ^ (Closed on weekends though, IIRC.)
Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by N751PR
Another vote for the Sheraton.

To go along bzcat's suggestion, if you have access to the club lounge you can also view the eastern end of the south complex of the airport as well. Always look forward to having a light breakfast there while watching the morning lineup of departures waiting to use 25R. ^ (Closed on weekends though, IIRC.)
Good to know, as it's the weekend when we'd be staying. To confirm, we're referring to the Sheraton Gateway, not the Westin LAX correct?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
Originally Posted by ghostboy
Good to know, as it's the weekend when we'd be staying. To confirm, we're referring to the Sheraton Gateway, not the Westin LAX correct?
Exactly, the Sheraton Gateway. The Westin also has views of the eastern end of the south complex but nothing on the north side aside from approaching planes.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by N751PR
Exactly, the Sheraton Gateway. The Westin also has views of the eastern end of the south complex but nothing on the north side aside from approaching planes.
Thanks so much!
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by ghostboy
Thanks so much!
No problem, hope you enjoy your stay at the Sheraton!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:27 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Yet another In-N-Out shot:

I've added some other photos here.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 7:54 am

My only hotel experience on Century is the Radisson. Good and bad, but it's all about expectations.

First, GREAT views of the Southern complex and supposedly good viewing of arrivals on the North (only ever had a South facing room). Sadly, they have a very, very annoying film covering the windows, I think to prevent heat/glare. It really even messes up spotting with the naked eye, let alone photography, but it's still do-able I guess.

Second, the Radisson's roof-top bar was still closed to the general public as of last August (last time I was there). I have snuck up there before and the view is GREAT. This is unfortunate, as it's a super-prime location.
Overall, if you're in SoCal you ought to be OUTSIDE not hold-up in your hotel room. Just saying. It's a 5 minute walk to In N Out.

Having explored the Parking Spot, I would have to bear you this warning. It's not spotter-friendly AT ALL. They have signs posted all over prohibitting photography and loitering. Furthermore, they have cameras all over, and people staffing a central "office" at the bottom so you will be seen and asked to leave most likely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.